Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,140
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,140
A little progress, today, at least for me.

He finally managed some real honesty today, even though he is the self-admitted world's biggest conflict avoider. In a phone convo today, he said:

He does not want a divorce.
He wants me to stay.
He wants us to "be happy" and "enjoy our lives again."

Okay -- but:

He *also* wants to be able to keep me entirely out of his social life at work and go out and lunch and party and celebrate with his co-workers *without me* whenever he sees fit-- exactly like he did for some 12-14 years when he was using those events as a cover to date his young, single, female co-workers.

Me: "So, you are saying you want your marriage, but you also want to be able to put it on the back burner whenever you've got something fun to do at work?"

Him: "Yeah, I guess I do."

I thanked him for his honesty. I really did. And hung up.

I finally dawned on me that all these years I've been dealing with an addict. I know the Harleys liken affairs to addiction, and that sure makes sense to me. But in my H's case, it's not so much just one female that is the problem (maybe that's why I didn't understand this for so long.) It's his bottomless need for female attention in virtually any form -- air-headed co-workers, strippers, porn, whatever he can find.

I honestly do not think this is from anything I did (or didn't do.) We had a great relationship -- when it was my turn. I was anything but a prude in the bedroom. I've spent countless hours looking back over this and I do not know what else I could have done to make him happy.

The problem with me is that I am only one person.

He's not an alcoholic. He's not a drug addict. But he is absolutely hard-core hooked on getting attention and admiration and strokes at work, *especially* from females. Too much is never enough.

Addicts don't care who they hurt in order to get their fix. He knows exactly what it does to me when he ditches me to go to some comedy club or restaurant or bar with these people -- but he does it anyway.

All he needs is an excuse -- and if he thinks he's got one, he will argue viciously about his right to do it.

He says he doesn't want to hurt me, but he *will* hurt me if it means getting his fix.

He says he wants his marriage, but he *will* act like the marriage doesn't exist in order to get his fix -- and then is very angry when he comes home and for some reason his marriage isn't there anymore.

Has anyone else had to deal with a similar situation? (Don't worry, I am getting all ducks in a row. I have a real job and some money now. I am just trying to exist hour by hour until I can get out and get a life. MB has been helpful to me, believe it or not.)

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,042
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,042
Good morning Mulan,

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I finally dawned on me that all these years I've been dealing with an addict. I know the Harleys liken affairs to addiction, and that sure makes sense to me.

But in my H's case, it's not so much just one female that is the problem (maybe that's why I didn't understand this for so long.) It's his bottomless need for female attention in virtually any form -- air-headed co-workers, strippers, porn, whatever he can find.

I honestly do not think this is from anything I did (or didn't do.)

But he is absolutely hard-core hooked on getting attention and admiration and strokes at work, *especially* from females. Too much is never enough.

Addicts don't care who they hurt in order to get their fix. He knows exactly what it does to me when he ditches me to go to some comedy club or restaurant or bar with these people -- but he does it anyway.

He says he doesn't want to hurt me, but he *will* hurt me if it means getting his fix. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think you are absolutely right. I think you will thrive in your new life, post-D. His problem is bigger than you, he's just not considerate enough not to drag you down with him. Please take care of yourself - Dru

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 200 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,661
Posts2,323,619
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0