Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
A
LIT, My closest friend during recovery has been my FWH's harshest critic. Her and her husband have relationship much as ours was prior to my H's A e.g good. Yet, my FWH is very resentful of my gf's attitude coz he knows she's been a tad naughty in the past herself with his best friend. Plus I heard something from a mutual friend about my gf that I find pretty awful. If not sex with other men, she has been pretty damned provocative and put herself very much in harms way (and that's putting it mildly). As my H's best friend said to my H "that <inset name> is a very naughty girl". So, how come she's been the only friend to totally sympathise with me and be very shocked, disgusted and totally judgemental of my H? Parallel realities maybe? I suspect you hate hypocrisy and that's why it's bugging you. People that can toddle off to la la land and dwell in a reality which is down right dishonest. Any A at any time in a relationship is current - as seen here by people like Maxol who discovered her H's A some 20 yrs after it was over. Hurts just the same and should be considered on equal footing to a current A. IMHO.

Good for you for raising this point.

AN

M
M
Your post raises a very good issue with a simple answer: Most people like to live under the "do as I say, not as I do" motto.

The fact that an affair is painful and traumatizing to one who has committed the very same act further cements the reality that affairs are immoral and cannot be defended. This is not a construct of personal subjectivity, we can objectively observe the harm it produces.

I do not hold illwill against BS who themselves were once WS, for all make mistakes and "good" people wish to atone for their errors and change their ways. A person can realize their mistakes and then judge similar circumstances as wrong; hopefully they have first hand knowledge of the consequences along with the rational understanding of its immorality.

Do not use the actions of others to determine your course of action, it will often lead you in the wrong direction. Understand why things are right and wrong, no matter what consensus says. WS' often use the "two wrongs make a right" argument, claiming that the affair is justified because of mistakes the BS made during the marriage. It is irrational and, consequentially, harmful.

F
F
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by FH:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is, in my humble opinion, a HUGE difference between a spouse who is "caught" in an active affair and one who has realized the error of their ways and recommitted to their spouse and set up their own STANDARD that they will NEVER again engage in adultery. To "confess" years after such a change and decision may be cathartic for the FWS, but sometimes for the FBS there is truth in the statement, "ignorance is bliss."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I'm definitely on board with 1-5 but this #6 one is where I'm having some difficulty.

Even if the FWS realizes the error of their ways, and makes appropriate steps to behave and love differently - in a healthier way......can't the 'skeleton in the closet' create a rift between the H and W? And if the A was discovered sometime in the later future, won't the BS usually feel even more resentment and have more difficulty forgiving b/c of the years of deceit?

I ask this thinking of JakeB and Recom's situation. They were posters who were helping MJR and I back when we first started. And JakeB really had trouble processing Recom's A because even though she had realized the error of her A and ended it(consequently becoming a better W), his resentment was so strong because of her deceit in hiding it from him for 4 years before finally confessing.

We also see many BS here talk about a 'second blow' by finding out that the A their WS is involved in is not the only A.....that there was an A long ago in the M. All this does is cause more pain.

Finally, with regards to a FWS whose A was not exposed to the BS - but who completely changed (in a healthy way) their committment and actions in the M.......I cannot imagine that their own self guilt would allow them to be healthy in that relationship. It might cause them to be more giving , but I would imagine it would still remain as a mild form of disease for the M. An illness not quite having run its course.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">L.I.T - Certainly there is NO "one human answer" that is correct for EVERY situation. That's holds true for MB principles as well as "Don't Tell" answers. IF we want to talk about "one answer" we can, but that answer is to DO "God's will," not our own will, thoughts, desires, if they are in conflict with God's will.

So let's talk a little about the questions you raised in response to "point 6."

"can't the 'skeleton in the closet' create a rift between the H and W? "

Certainly the "possibility" exists. But so much of any "possibility" is dependent upon the ACTIONS of someone. Were this NOT true, not one single BS would be able to recover their marriage because for most of them, upon initial discovery, there is "NO POSSIBILITY" of staying married to someone who could inflict "that much pain" upon you....by their choice! Yet, many BS's choose recovery attempts despite the seeming impossibility of the task. LOVE covers over a multitude of sins.

And if the A was discovered sometime in the later future, won't the BS usually feel even more resentment and have more difficulty forgiving b/c of the years of deceit?"

Again, the possibility of "more resentment and more difficulty forgiving" exists. BUT, again, our reactions to "bad things" are most often predicated upon our history of experiences with our spouse. A spouse who meticulously attempted to live as God intended with their husband or wife and who "affair proofed" and focused on fulfilling the spouse's Emotional Needs, would build YEARS of actual experience to contrast with their "time of insanity."

L.I.T. - I am NOT saying that disclosure at some future date would not be painful or call into question all that someone thought about their marriage and spouse. THAT is a consequence of Adultery. But just as we tell BS's going through the trauma of discovery and whether or not their marriage CAN be saved that their broken marriage CAN BE SAVED, I am telling you that YEARS of CHANGED and SOLID behavior WILL be thrown onto the scales of "late discovery."

IN this particular case, with God's help, forgiveness would flow and I believe the marriage would survive with LESS trauma, not "no trauma."

For the FWS to confess out of guilt, I can understand. But the caution is that if "guilt" is the ONLY reason for confession, then the "motives" have to be questioned. "Guilt" is NOT reason. Reasoned thought is not "emotional reaction." If the sole purpose is to "purge" the WS's feelings of guilt, then go see an IC and confess. But don't USE the BS further for "getting what the WS wants even if it hurts the BS.

L.I.T. - JakeB and Recom are examples of exactly what I am trying to say. NOT everyone CAN, or will, process the adultery the way anyone else would like, or hope, that they will. Adultery IS the "nuclear bomb" of marriages, no doubt about it. But as with all nuclear bombs, there is also "fallout" to deal with. It's NOT a clean and surgical strike weapon. It affects a much greater area and others are hurt who may not have been the "primary target." L.I.T., without God's example of forgiveness and restoration to lean on, follow, and simply obey while the devastation is all around you, it IS going to be harder for someone to deal with the level of personal betrayal that adultery IS.

But you cannot use JakeB's reaction to govern YOUR action anymore than you can use a spouse's affair to "justify" or "excuse" a "revenge adulterous affair." THOU SHALT NOT....does NOT come with a qualifier or modifier. It is absolute and binding on each individual regardless of personal circumstances.

L.I.T. - Admittedly I come at this from the perspective of a BS whose wife was deeply involved in her affair when I finally discovered it. The "fight" I faced was to END the affair AND reestablish her love for me and her choice to spend the rest of her life with me. THAT is a decidedly different "starting point" than the scenario you painted in your question.

L.I.T., let me simply tell you that, as a BS, there are some aspects of an affair that I will never forget. Yes, they can lose their intensity, as some of them already have, but they will never be totally forgotten. They are now a part of my experience and memory, lodged in their own little nook and cranny of my mind, waiting as so many other little "past memories" for the right circumstance or "trigger" to find their location in the gigantic "hard drive storage device" of my mind.

L.I.T., they hurt. They will continue to be a source of pain until the day I die. But I CHOOSE to love despite the pain. I KNOW that in heaven there will be no marriage, no pain, no sin. In the meantime, it is HOW my wife changes and shows her love for me that, over time, eases the pain and allows TRUST to grow again. THAT behavior by her is a sacrificial gift of love that is the direct opposite of the selfishness of an affair. It is HOW I keep the promises I made when I said "I forgive you" that help or hinder HER healing process and allows her to gain trust that I really DO forgive her and love her. It's a journey, complete with bumps and prickly thorns, that we choose to make together from the perspective of being obedient to God and from a posture of Servanthood toward each other. "Me" is easy. "Thee" is hard, in the face of how hurt WE feel.

"Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, mind, and soul," and "Love thy neighbor as thyself."

LOVE. It IS the "ONE ANSWER" that we all are looking for and it is the one quide that should determine "to tell or not to tell" IF the FWS has truly repented and put that time of sin and insanity in their past.

Think about all the hateful and hurtful things that a WS often spouts at their spouse after discovery and while in withdrawal. Think about all the tortuous thoughts that cascade through a BS's mind when their whole world is turned upside down.

L.I.T., when Eve ate the fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, HER eyes were immediately opened. Ever wonder why she STILL offered the fruit to her husband Adam? It's because (or so it seems to me) that sinners want others around them who have also sinned so that THEY will feel better. But you KNOW that Eve, who then KNEW what was good and what was evil, did NOT have her husband's best interest at heart or she would have withheld the "knowledge" from him. Sin IS pervasive and sin has many faces that tempt us and tries to get us to accept it as "okay." We MUST examine our motives and whether or not such knowledge is good for our spouses when WE have realized the error of our past ways and have CHOSEN anew to follow God.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But it does evoke strong emotions in me. And the only way I will be able to come to peace with that is to finish resolving this roadblock in my own recovery.

Again, I apologize if this offends anyone. I am merely trying to explore my own reaction to this topic.

I do feel very strongly about it. And in essence, I think that's good. I shows that I have made changes from the inside out, and that I am not just 'going through the motions.'

But having been a BS also, I do feel a large amount of resentment for my H not being honest with </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">L.I.T. - No one is going to get offended by your honest searching. Most of us are also "searchers" trying to make sense of our own devastated lives and trying to "learn from our mistakes."

Resentment, L.I.T., is the "long term cancer" of marriage, and it doesn't matter if it's in a pre-affair marriage or a post-affair marriage. Resentment is self-centered and destructive. Resentment hold and nutures a grudge. Resentment can try to raise it's ugly head from time to time in all marriages, but if LOVE is present, if concern for our spouse's needs comes before concern about our own needs, resentment is stopped as a molehill instead of faced as a mountain that may or may not be scaled.

God bless.

L
L.I.T Offline OP
OP Offline
L
FH,

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> A spouse who meticulously attempted to live as God intended with their husband or wife and who "affair proofed" and focused on fulfilling the spouse's Emotional Needs, would build YEARS of actual experience to contrast with their "time of insanity."
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can agree that they can build years of actual experience to contrast their previous deviant behaviors........

HOWEVER, those years are also based on a lie of omission. Which could trump all the 'well intentioned' actions. Often, d-day causes the 'old marriage' to die.....and the newly adopted actions mean nothing because they were based on a faulty foundation of untruth.

Parallel that with a BS well into their 2nd year of recovery after d-day. WS has maintained that there was NC after d-day. But one and a half years later, BS discovers that WS actually spoke to OP twice after d-day. Conversations were short, no A was resumed. But WS never told BS.

BS feels like d-day all over again. Trust is once again broken. It must be rebuilt yet again.

Is it unforgiveable ? No, of course, through love, action, and God, it is forgiveable. But it would have been much easier if the WS had simply confessed early on in recovery.....thus reinforcing radical honesty within the M.

I'm not saying that witholding a previous A will destroy the M. What I'm saying is that if one wants to implement true forgiveness, and the policy of radical honesty in M, then it must go both ways.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> For the FWS to confess out of guilt, I can understand. But the caution is that if "guilt" is the ONLY reason for confession, then the "motives" have to be questioned. "Guilt" is NOT reason. Reasoned thought is not "emotional reaction." If the sole purpose is to "purge" the WS's feelings of guilt, then go see an IC and confess. But don't USE the BS further for "getting what the WS wants even if it hurts the BS. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree with this in full. There is much more to confessing an A - including implementing radical honesty to improve the M and demonstrate committment - treating your S with a respect that they were not given when the A was in progress or when they were being lied to - allowing the BS to have input into the decisions of the M once again - giving the BS the option to stay in the M, try to repair the M, and see their WS for who they are 'warts and all'.....etc.

Guilt should not be a motivator. That is selfish.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> But you cannot use JakeB's reaction to govern YOUR action anymore than you can use a spouse's affair to "justify" or "excuse" a "revenge adulterous affair." THOU SHALT NOT....does NOT come with a qualifier or modifier. It is absolute and binding on each individual regardless of personal circumstances.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">FH, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. I am not using JakeB's reaction to govern my action. I confessed my A, and will stand by that confession till the day I die. It was the moment I decided to treat my STBXH with at least some of the respect I took away from him when I had my A. It was the first step I could take to show him that I respected him more than to lie to him anylonger.

As for using another's actions to justify one's own......well, I think clearly I believe it is wrong. I take 100% (if there was more, I would take it!) responsibility for my A. It was my choice, and I will not blame any part of it on my STBXH. Nor will I accept the blame for his A's. He is entirely responsible for his choices.

Yet, in that spirit, I believe it is the choice of someone to withold that they had an A early in the relationship. And it is a choice to lie about it. It is a choice not to tell the spouse about it. Independent of the spouse's actions.

Is that choice justified? IMO, yes - if it involves abuse or something of the like. But simply because they feel it was 'in the past' or it is 'irrelevant' to the situation? I personally don't believe so. I don't expect everyone to agree to this.....but it is my own personal belief.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> We MUST examine our motives and whether or not such knowledge is good for our spouses when WE have realized the error of our past ways and have CHOSEN anew to follow God.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">FH, I have a hard time believing that if your W had ended her A on her own, and started living according to the word of God, that you would rather have not known about her A. Perhaps that is your belief. I don't know.

But I do know that I suspected my STBXH of having an A early on in our engagement. And that event, although never confessed to as an AFFAIR, changed the momentum of our M. I believed he had an A, he denied it, but went through all the classic signs....even withdrawal. I took complete responsibility for the rift, and believed that I was not fulfilling all his needs. I was not a good enough wife.....or at least I thought.

It was the turning point for our M. And not in a good way. We both made our own poor choices after that....with regards to the M, as well as individually with regards to our subsequent A's.

Again, the A's were not justified b/c of the lack of confession, or the occurance of previous A's in the M. Each one was an individual choice by both of us. But the lack of confession, and the lack of honesty in our M created a rift that didn't allow us to communicate, be honest, and address the true issues that needed to be raised in order for us to have a healthy M.

So I do believe that confession of an A leads to true honesty, trust, and overall marital health.....if forgiveness is attained.

If forgiveness is not able to be attained, then it is an unhealthy M regardless, and sooner or later the M will suffer for that as well as other reasons. JMVHO

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Resentment, L.I.T., is the "long term cancer" of marriage, and it doesn't matter if it's in a pre-affair marriage or a post-affair marriage. Resentment is self-centered and destructive. Resentment hold and nutures a grudge </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, you are right. Which is why I am really trying to work through this issue. I need to release the resentment, and learn from my experience. I do not want to carry the pains of the WS or BS over to any new relationships or friendships. I want to be able to trust once again. My trust was also betrayed....first by myself.....and then by my STBXH. I also have to forgive. Both of us.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (anchorwatch, bb1471, 1 invisible), 654 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation