My H and I just 'celebrated' our 2nd anniv. We do not have 2 pennies to rub together. What to do?
On the eve of our anniv. one set of my parents arrived with take out chinese, flowers and a cake. The whole family held hands, said a blessing, ate together and enjoyed the fine company. Truly supportive people.
Armed with a few dollars that was a gift from his parents and what we could afford to spend, we planned our day. My H took the day off from work, we left the little ones with the older ones, and we drove an hour and half south to a beautiful historic town. We go there often, we love it there. Beautiful weather.
First we toured the local winery, which is our favorite lable, picked out two bottles to take home. Their out side cafe was closed for the day, so off to our favorite restuarant for lunch. Great food and great service. Then holding hands, we walked along the waterfront. Leisurely stroll. Close with no serious conversation, just romantic prattle. We wandered thru a few shops we had never been into, poked around, dreamed of the 6-digit income and what we would buy. And then wandered back to the car. On the way home we stopped for the sinful DQ, which we typically can not afford. Such a treat. Before returning home we stopped at a local dept. store, armed with gift cards that we had been given for our anniv. by my other parents. We purchased cheeses, meats, crackers, fruit and headed home. After putting the kids to bed (they faired just fine under the care of the 20 yr olds) my H made a cheese and meat platter, poured the wine, lit some candles. And "tah-Dah!", a romantic evening for two.
Whole day cost us less than $75.
The true beauty of the whole day is that we were together, away from the daily grind, thinking only of us, building a memory. Memories don't have to have a huge price tag. The rekindled twinkle I saw in my H's eyes was pricelees. He says that he is having fun with marriage again. Blesseed be. That is the besst anniv. present I could possibly received from him.
I am sending thank-you cards to all the parents who made the day sparkle in ways they could never guess.
Supportive family is a wonderful thing. Each set of parents has a marriage that is beautiful in their own right.
We forgot the camera. oops