Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Post deleted by FoundMan

Hugz, Thoughtz, & Prayerz

Bill
S
S
LH,

I do. We are separated by about 350 miles and a couple states - I have primary physical custody. Their dad chose to move out of state before we were actually divorced to take a job.

Kids (2 boys - 8 and 10 at the time of the divorce, 11 and 13 now) travel to see their Dad one wknd/month (by cheap airfare if we can get it) and we alternate paying for the tickets. Our original parenting plan allows him two weekends per month - one in our city, and one at his home, but after his OW/now wife moved from our town to join him, he no longer visits as often because it is more inconvenient and expensive for him I guess. While we alternate paying for the kids tickets, he is responsible for his own expenses when he visits here.

In the summer the kids spend about 6 weeks there. We discuss the weekend schedule at the beginning of each school year, and the summer schedule usually by April each year. The parenting plan specifies alternate years for the big school holidays (e.g. In a given school year, one of us has them winter break, and the other for spring break) and we also alternate Thanksgiving.

Ex-H tries to come to their "big events" related to school, music, sports in town when he can. I and the kids try to keep him informed of all recitals, performances, game schedules, etc.

We have joint legal custody and coordinate on decisions about school, etc. We actually cooperate pretty well - and in most cases Ex-H expresses his wishes,thoughts, which I try to accomodate - he also generally defers to me on the final decisions since I am mainly responsible for the implementation.

Overall, I think it has been a very successful plan. With the caveat that it gets very expensive shuttling kids back and forth - we both agree it is important though. And also, I believe my kids would benefit if their dad lived closer and they could see him more. They communicate a lot by e-mail now that they are older. But it is not the same. They have adjusted pretty well though.

Let me know if I can provide any more info.

SP

Married my new H 9/03
2 sons, 13 and 16, step daughter 20
Divorced 11/01 - ex H had 3 yr affair and married OW
Counseled w/SH
Plan A and B over 2 year period

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,097 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation