Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1400720 06/08/05 03:15 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Divorce has been finalized for 2 month now. Seperated for over 8 months. No contact for over 3months. She just emailed me asking for the original Marriage License. Just wondering what reason she could have in this request?. Oh yeah, I'm here in California (no-fault state) and she kept her maiden name.

Seoulman

C
C
Does it matter? What do you gain by wondering?

Could you not just say, "I can't put my hands on it right now. If you really need a copy, you might try contacting the records office of the county in which we were married. I am sure they have an ordering process for copies."

S
OP Offline
S
Thank Cinderella,

Well, I'm not into obsessing about what the EX does anymore, yet I find it a little uncomfortable because I know she is not of high moral character. She requested the certificate for today. I just informed her that I didn't have it, and she may contact the Paralegal which I think still has it. I'm at a much better place in my life right now, and I don't want anymore drama. Just wondered whether there could be certain things she could use with it after a divorce that could effect my life.

Thanks for your reply

Seoulman

B
B
Are you or is she Catholic? Were you married in the Catholic church? Is OM Catholic? If so, she may be seeking an annulment and you are required to provide a copy attached to your annulment petition.

Regards,

Brit's Brat

S
OP Offline
S
Yes, she is Catholic, and we were married at a Catholic church. Funny how that works though, wonder what she'll use as the excuse for annulment? LOL.

Thanks BB

B
B
The good news is, as part of the annulment process, you get to file a response if you want. Wonder if she knows that. Then, again, it is all done via mail, so she may not give them your correct address and they won't get a response and think you chose not to respond. Would suggest that in a month or so, you contact the diocese where she lives and see if she's filed. It is VERY detailed and looks for reasons that a sacramental marriage did not exist. If they find out about her infidelity, it could be interesting!

Brit's Brat

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks BB. I don't think I'll damages her chances of renewing ( or was it replacing??lol) her vows. It's a sad shame to see irresponsible actions continuing over and over. Our last encounter was 3 1/2 months ago when she tried for her final request to reconcile(I've been put through too much pain to accept that offer). I've heard she been with 2 other men since seperation. I shouldn't care, but I see another possible marriage built on a shaky foundation. I'm Protestant, so in my case, I don't believe the Catholic church will contact me.

Seoulman

B
B
They always contact the former spouse regardless of religions affiliation.

BB

C
C
I have a friend whose xh ended up marrying a Catholic woman for his second marriage. Though the xh was not Catholic, he went through the annulment process and my friend was contacted. In her report on the marriage, my friend documented her xh's affair WITH the Catholic woman. Despite the fact that her xh was NOT Catholic and despite the fact that he had the extramarital affair with the Catholic woman and the affair was well-documented, the annulment was granted.

As a non-Catholic, I was highly unimpressed with the ethics of that.

Maybe annulment is nothing but another way to give some people a job shuffling papers.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 507 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation