Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 43
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 43
I just don't know what to do. My H and I are d. He no longer wants to be amrried to me. My problem is the house. He said I can have and all the bills that go with it, but to be able to afford the place I will have to get 2nd. job. I was going to school at night full time plus working 32 hrs. my parents want me and my 16 yr. old daughter to live with them, which they live right next door. I keep going back and forth with my choices, keep my home... work 2 jobs to scrap by and go down to part-time school and no money for the last 2 yrs. with my daughter or live back at home and keep going to school to get my degree to be able to support myself fully in the future. I feel either route I take will have ill effects on my daughter. What to do? Has anyone been or going threw this? I need advice, with everything crashing down i'm afraid to make a choice for fear i will regret it.

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,277
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,277
The worst time to try to make a decision is when you're in the midst of a life-changing event....unfortunately Divorce requires a lot of decisions.

Have you gotten an appraisal on the house? You should definitely do that before deciding anything. This should be done by an appraiser YOU agree to, since it's to your benefit. Are you using a lawyer, what did he advise?

Have you considered having the house included in your settlement (you getting it) and then selling it? You and your daughter could live off the proceeds while you're in school, or use that money to buy a smaller house that didn't require so many bills and use any leftover money to help with school, while maintaining a bit of independence from your parents. Those two years will go by quickly.

Each situation (and settlement) is different...but if you get along with your parents that might be a blessing to have the help (financial, emotional, practical, etc.). How is your daughter's relationship with your parents? These are just some of the things to consider, but only you can make the decision.

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,514
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,514
Well I just moved into a much smaller apt to afford more things for myself and my three kids...

If you have a decent relationship with your parents, why not?

Your daughter will have extra eyes and hands around.... plus she will have the benefit of more time w/ Mom. I could have kept my house but I would have spent all my income to keep it... WHY?!

I would rather go bowling and skating, go swim in the new apt pool.... there are many more things that are more important than extra space. Is a second job going to give you back the precious time with your DD?

Plus, going on and finishing school will usually produce the best result for you both long term, even if that means making some sacrifices and living with Mom & Dad for awhile... why not?

I see this apt as a positive step forward w/o my WH... and I would do it again tomorrow!


BW, 33 WH 36 Md 14.5 yrs DD13, DS11, DD4 Tired of counting d-days, D proceeding 7/05 "Pride can break a man right down from iron. Twist him 'round 'round and tatter up a soul Handprint of God on the small of my back my second chance, my second chance. I'll bend a knee my friend, I'll bend a knee... Lay It Down say it's all my fault, all my fault. Say I believe, I believe lay it down. This the hour of my healing, of my healing, yeah my heart, my heart redeemed."
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 7
V
Junior Member
Junior Member
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 7
get rid of the house. it's a financially liability and will be a drain on your time, your emotions, and the support that your child will need during this time.

my suggestion is that you try to remove as much stress as possible and definitely continue your education!

it appears as if you could have a lot of support from your family (if you have a good relationship with me).

it seems like a better decision to sell the house.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,661
Posts2,323,619
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0