Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1408639 06/19/05 02:03 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,179
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,179
AJ & I will both be reading and learning from this post, because lots of questions are coming up, and often we even both have the same feelings, but for different reasons and from opposite points of view.

In the last 6 1/2 weeks since the NC letter was first issued, we have found the roller-coaster description of recovery to be very true. At first it was almost like a honeymoon all over again, though it is a strange honeymoon that would include the kinds of things we had to talk about. But we each keep running into problems, sometimes even the same ones, and there must be a better way to deal with them.

Boy, it's hard to even know where to start, but one of the biggies is that when I have "down" times, which is pretty often right now, I tend to keep to myself more, not being as open or affectionate, because I am trying to keep from taking my anger/bad feelings out on him or anyone else. I really don't want to be the 'psycho spouse' described so eloquently by Patriot. (Surely not based on dear, sweet, Froz.) Yes, I tell him what is bothering me when he asks, but try not to get out the whole trumpet fanfare.

But then he gets upset, feeling like I am treating him like dirt, when all I am trying to do is to keep from LB'ing him. I feel like I can't win. If I cry and mope while he is around, he feels bad like what he's doing now is somehow not enough, but if I keep it more to myself I am treating him like dirt. There has to be a happy medium, but I haven't found it.

Another big thing is insecurity. Of course, in order to build trust, he holds himself open and accountable, which is all very good, but now he is having a hard time trusting me. If he can't get a hold of me by phone, he is afraid that either I've given up and left him, or am out having a revenge affair of my own. He doesn't leave the house any more than he has to, because then not only do I know where he is, but he knows where I am. This interferes with his concentration at work.

On the one hand, I told him one day that a small part of me wanted to hurt him and show him what this felt like, but I also explained at the same time that I loved him too much to actually do that to him, and that as a Christian I could not sin against God in that way, either. That I wanted to work on our marriage, not further destroy it. And I have given many reassurances that if I have a problem with him, I will talk to him about it and not just disappear as on the night of the Plan B letter.

What it seems like to me on this one is that he ought to figure out some boundaries to help him feel more comfortable, and I will go along with it. If that means calling him before I go out to weedeat and can't hear the phone, it's a small price to pay for his peace of mind. He's not sure what boundaries would help him, but hopefully will have some ideas after reading the responses to this.

That's probably enough questions for now, but that will get things going at least. Thank you.


A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb



Neak's Story
Neak #1408640 06/19/05 04:42 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 420
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 420
Wish I had some great advice, but we are struggling at times too. I would give him whatever he needs in terms of knowing where you are. Good Luck!

LaLaLa #1408641 06/19/05 04:54 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,069
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,069
Neak - check out the links on Orchids post - there are links for both of you. GREAT stuff! I'll bump it up to the top.

believer #1408642 06/19/05 04:57 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,179
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,179
Thanks, b & improving. Can't wait to see it myself, & I'll show it to AJ when he gets home. And regarding knowing where I am, I'm fine with being accountable for my time, too, but that may not be enough by itself. I was hoping he would just know what he needs already, but it seems he will have to figure it out and let me know.


A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb



Neak's Story
Neak #1408643 06/19/05 05:01 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,069
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 27,069
Neak - I had never seen this before, but saw it on recovery - then Orchid had it posted here. It will knock your socks off.

believer #1408644 06/19/05 05:21 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,179
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,179
Here we go. I'll put it on here, too, and then I can find it so much more easily.

Session 2

Session 3


A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb



Neak's Story

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
Just checking in
by markos - 10/07/26 05:55 PM
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,661
Posts2,323,619
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0