Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
I have a question for all of you. She is involved with a co-worker, and she's filled out her ENQ for me. I've studied it, but I'm confused about how to execute Plan A and continue to practice the policy of radical honesty. For me to meet her emotional needs, I need to be supportive and specifically avoid being the source of any pain or discomfort for her. How can I do this and continue to be completely honest about my feelings regarding her continued involvement with OM? She has expressed to me that any display of discomfort on my part is interpreted as disapproval (judgement) or outright non-acceptance of her as a person. Should I experience my pain in isolation? Am I supposed to refrain from radical honesty if it's going to violate plan A? HELP!
Specifically here's what's going on to prompt my confusion. WS and I are going to a company function of hers, where OM and OM's brother (who WS has had an EA with in the past) are going to be at. I am NOT enthusiastic about being there if I'm going to be in contact with these two, especailly the current OM. I tried to express to WS that I would like to negotiate regarding the event, as I would love to attend with her, but I am averse to contact with OM and OM's brother. This did not go well. I realize that Plan A pretty much centers around ignoring my Taker, and indulging her EN's as much as possible. What should I do about this upcoming event?

I've given up hoping that the PA/EA she's in with OM is going to just fizzle out, I'm concerned that she's already condemned me and D is eventually inevitable. But I am still hoping that Plan A works... I just want to make sure I'm doing things right.

L
lbc Offline
L
Did you already buy "Suviving An Affair"? Do that first, then make an appointment with Dr. Harley.

In the meantime, you need to understand that you can't trust your instincts right now. Plan A is about doing everything your mind tells you not to do. It is a PLAN. A roadmap to end the affair. When the A ends, Plan A ends. It is not to rebuild your M -- that can't happen till the A ends. It's not to get your needs met -- that can't happen till the A ends.

The path of the BS is very difficult. As many have said before, it's not for wimps! But it does work. Are you going to MC? Have you heard of Retrouvaille? I recommend you sign up ASAP.

Your WS is in a fog. She thinks she found her soulmate and she's confused as to what to do. Plan A is about convincing her that your M can change -- it can be better, it can be rebuilt. Be the beacon of light to her fog-addled mind -- show her the way back to you.

This requires very tough work for the BS. We can't LB. We can express our disappointment and hurt, but we can't yell or scream or call our WS' names. You have to remain calm and (ugh!) supportive. If you feel like a doormat, you're doing it right!

But the only way a BS can do this is if he is taking care of himself. Are you seeing an IC? Are you eating right? Are you getting a little exercise? Call an old friend, make a new one. Pick up an old hobby. Go to the park. Read and post here.

Okay, now to your specific situation. Expressing your feelings in a healthy way is not an LB. She doesn't like it? Tough. Calmly tell her that you love her and want her and want to make your M better than ever, BUT there is no room for a third person. End of story.

As for your pain, it's okay to cry in front of her once and awhile, but you can't be doing the waterworks every time she walks in the house. Plan A is about making her wonder. You start taking care of yourself. You start doing fun things. She wonders what is going on with you.

Personally, I would go to the company function. I'm not sure if that is good Plan A advice, though. I would arrive looking hot and with a big smile on my face. After all, I'm there with my *husband*. What do you think will go through OM's mind? 'Why is she still with him? If she loves me, why can't she leave him? Maybe there's something about this situation I don't know about.' Keep them *both* guessing. This is your game, not theirs.

So what is your story? How long has EA been going on? How long have you been married? Any kids?

me - BS
him - WS
married 9/16/00
daughter 7/30/02
previous EA/PA 12/03
EA 1/15/14
D-Day 1/30/14
PA 3/11/14
K
K
I pulled this up for you, hope it might be helpful. It is an excellent rehash of Plan A by Cerri (who is a MB trained coach):

Plan A is not (repeat NOT) about making the WS happy, or feeling good.

Plan A is NOT, contrary to popular (and very incorrect opinion), about "making yourself a better person," or "working on yourself."

Plan A is ALL ABOUT the straying spouse. In Willard Harely's ever brilliant words, Plan A is a stategy to end the affair and to entice the straying spouse to reconsider the marriage.

So, it has several elements that should be done at the same time.

First is to eliminate LBers and to meet needs as best you can... recognizing that the unfaithful mate may not allow the betrayed partner to meet needs.

Second is to CONFRONT the unfaithful partner with what you know. Doing so (of course) in a way that is respectful and about you... how you feel, how you are affected by the affair.

Third is to expose the affair to the scrutiny of the world. The lover's spouse or s/o, coworkers, family, friends, church family, children, etc.

ALL OF THAT is Plan A. And it should be done as much as possible simultaneously. (If you don't believe me call the radio show Mondays and Thursdays at 1pm Central Time and ask Dr. Harley for yourself.)

Plan A must have a deadline. It's called Plan "A" because there is a second step... aptly named Plan "B." Willard Harley suggests a max of 6 months for men and 3 months for women before going to the next step. If Plan A hasn't worked in that time, it's not going to.

(I challenge you to find anyone who has done Plan A longer than that and been successful. I define successful as the A ending, n/c promised and verified, and the couple working a good recovery plan which includes meeting needs, eliminating LBers, getting in 15 hours a week of UAT, and most importantly following POJA.)

Now, Plan B IS all about you, the betrayed partner. It's about getting you out of and away from a situation that is horribly painful and, let's face it, degrading. Plan B is taking the stance that enough is enough and that although you want the marriage to succeed you will no longer be part of a triangle. And that you care enough about the marriage to know that you need to protect the love you still have for your partner.

Now, nowhere in any of that is the idea that the faithful partner needs to make life easy and comfy for the straying spouse!! No need to bend over backwards to be a doormat. Certainly no need to be afraid to trigger guilt!! Good god!! They should feel guilty!!!

C
OP Offline
C
kam
Wow!! thank you so much, that clarified so many ambiguities and questions I had about Plan A. Here I was planning on letting myself be totally abused and unrecognized in an effort to show my WS how committed I am! A line from a song by Offspring comes immediately to mind "the more you suffer, the more it shows you really care. Right? Yeah!" uh-huh.. SURE!! thanks so much
you know, she's told me to avoid the whole "exposure" aspect of plan a because there will be consequences to her at work... WOW that hurt. Her words were "that will not go well" and although I totally understand her point of view that it will ruin her career path there, I just felt SO small when she said that. As if not only the OM meant more than our marriage, but her JOB meant more... hell for all I know at this point her favorite pair of shoes means more to her than "us" and that just ruins me. But Plan A IS about the WS, so I'll stick to that. I'll post about my quandry with exposure and see what you brilliant people come up with. You guys ALL kick major booty.

C
OP Offline
C
Kam-

"Plan A must have a deadline. It's called Plan "A" because there is a second step... aptly named Plan "B." Willard Harley suggests a max of 6 months for men and 3 months for women before going to the next step. If Plan A hasn't worked in that time, it's not going to."

I am confused about something in this paragraph. It says Harley suggests 6 months for men and 3 months for women. Does this mean 6 months if the BS is a man? or if Plan A is in response to a male WS's activities? please clarify if you can, or if anyone else would like to put in their feedback that would be cool too
Thanks! CT

K
K
I'm glad if the post helped...I've always thought it was something anyone in Plan A should read.

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that the longer time for Plan A was if the BS was male, and the shorter time was if the BS was female. And, if I recall, the recommendations are general recommendations, based on the his observation that women (in general, as a whole) tend to be able to maintain a good Plan A for a shorter time.

Kathi

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (DaisyTheCat2), 683 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation