Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1431795 07/20/05 01:10 PM
H
OP Offline
H
I know it is different for everyone, but, When does one know when counseling is apexed? I am thinking of cutting back a bit from 2 times monthly to ?.
We are working on our communication issues. and seem to be doing ok lately. I don't want to quit to early, but, I know the W would like to stop, It is my choice, And I find myself wondering if it is for us, or if it is for me. I remember reading that about 6 sessions is the time frame. We have been going twice a month for about 5 months.

Just curious on people's thoughts.

ME 40 WW 40 Married 14y EA 2mos PA 1(12/20) D-day 12/22/04 recovering?
hurtnheart #1431796 07/20/05 01:34 PM
O
Owl Offline
O
My wife and I went every two weeks for about 4 months...then kicked it back to once a month, and have been doing that ever since. It's been a year, and we still go about once a month.

hurtnheart #1431797 07/20/05 01:37 PM
J
J

I don't think it's one of those hard/fast rules where you can compare yourself to anybody else...

Do you feel like the sessions are productive? Why does your W want to stop going? Are the same issues just getting rehashed or is progress being made? Would IC make more sense than MC for where you're at?

Are the issues that you originallyo went to MC for addressed in a way that you feel comfortable with?

And don't forget to ask your MC, what they think. Maybe once a month or IC would be a better choice and they just haven't brought it up...

H
OP Offline
H
I have been doing both MC and IC. Ic about once a month, MC 2. Have all issues been dealt with, Not sure. IMO, W went because it was a condition I set as part of staying together. She has been supportive of it, but, in general, she does not like doctors or dentists or anything like this, never has. (just like her dad)
She has picked and chosen what she read. but has been reading appropriate books.

Sf is going alot better than before, mostly my issues I believe. A is not talked about much anymore, mostly communication and relationship stuff.

I know it is about how I feel, I was just curious about length of other people's timeline.

hurtnheart #1431799 07/20/05 01:50 PM
J
J
Well, in my case, I went to IC for a year or so sometimes 2x/week, for MC, we went off and on for what, 5 years? For us, was a waste of time...

That's why I say it's pretty personal, and be careful measuring yourself by any other yardstick.

H
OP Offline
H
I do not intend to gauge myself by others. W just made a comment this morning that got me to thinking. I don't have a plan intact as far as goals by a certain time, just playing it by ear. But, curious none the less. I quess that when I feel that nothing new is happening, that is when I stop. It has not been a waste of time for us, although, some days seem just to rehash some stuff. but overall it has been great.

Thanks for you input.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 459 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation