I asked him if there was anyone else. He said no. I then asked him if he would tell me if there was. He said yes, he would tell me.
The vast majority of cheating spouses say this exact same thing.
I have thought about this. I really trust that he has not had an affair. He comes from a very religious family. I know that he knows that is wrong.
A strong reason for him to NOT admit to infidelity. The shame of betraying his values is overwhelming. I can't count the number of religious folks on this site -- some pastors, deacons, others very involved in their churches. And everyone knows infidelity is wrong. It doesn't always stop some from proceeding, though.
I also know that he knows that infidelity by my ex-husband is what ruined my first marriage. And he knows what I went through.
Infidelity in their first marriage by their spouses ended both first marriages for the OW in our case and her husband. When it came down to it, it didn't stop her from cheating on her husband, something she swore she would never ever do to another person. But it is a great reason for not telling your spouse you are cheating, despite the fact that you know how much they were hurt by infidelity in the past.
My husband is a gentle man. So I can't explain his anger and hardness towards me.
I can. You are in the way of his "fun" and he has to blame you so he can keep his secret.
I think he is dealing with some inner things right now
I agree.
because I believe he has a calling to live for God.
But this isn't it, sweetie.
He can't give me a why as to the way he feels right now. I think he is being hurtful to push me away.
He can't tell you because he knows it is wrong. He knows he will be ashamed and have to face his family, other believers, et al. He knows you will be hurt, but dang, he deserves the happiness he has found, too, right? He feels trapped and cheated and can't bring himself to see that his actions are the cause of all of his anger against you. It is hurtful, and very unfair, but it is another calling card by an unfaithful spouse.
Sleeping on the couch for his back? My husband did the same thing. Actually he was just trying to be "faithful" to OW. The day d-day arrived, he began sleeping in our bed again and he hasn't slept a night on the couch since (three years now).
I really don't want to be harsh and I am not making fun of your feelings by taking your post apart point by point. But I really think you need to do some investigating (okay, snooping) and find out what your husband is really doing with his time.
I hope I am wrong, but I really don't think I am and I think others will agree. The good thing is that you have this site to come to if you find this is the case. And there is much hope for any marriage hit by infidelity as long as one doesn't plant their head in the sand in denial.
~ Snow