Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 4
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 4
Quick background... My boyfriend of 2+ years is a wonderful man. I am 30, he is 32. We have enjoyed devoted companionship and have openly discussed a future together, something we both believe is inevitable. He is divorced, I have never been married. Because of his divorce, and the pressure his ex-wife put on him to get married (yet then cheated several years later), he has been gun-shy about getting engaged. He has made it clear it's what he wants, and talks openly about being married and being parents together someday. I think he just needs to have control over actually taking that step, b/c he didn't have that before. I, however, have been growing impatient, and for several months I had become the nagging "marry-me" girlfriend I never thought I would be! I hated myself for it, yet couldn't seem to let the topic go. For the last month or so, we have been doing great. I have finally let go of the control I wished to have. We have been preparing my house to sell (which I won't do until we are engaged, yet he has been very helpful and proactive working on it). We have talked about a wedding next year, and I finally believed we were moving in that direction, and that he was working up to the actual engagement, on his terms....

Then a bombshell. I discovered that my BF had a drunken one-night stand with a female friend a few months ago. Although the sex only happened once, there were several flirty and suggestive emails as well, but it really never amounted to a full "affair." Fortunatly, she has since moved out of state. He was a mess when it happened (although I didn't understand at that time why he was so grumpy and cranky... he tells me now it was because he felt so horrible about himself). He was devastated and sorry, once it was out in the open, although he also admitted to being somewhat relieved. He didn't like the burden of the secret, but hadn't found the strength to confess (nor do I really know if he would have). Naturally, I was horrified and heartbroken. But, I have been shocked at how easily I feel I can forgive him. I truly believe, in my gut, that it won't happen again. He knows what I'm feeling, having been there himself, and I think that is helping us. He is doing everything he can to regain my affection, trust, and love. Physically, emotionally, etc. He's doing everything right, and it's really helping me heal and find closure. For example, I have asked him to put some of his expressions of apology and regret on paper, so I can re-read it now and then - when emotions boil up - since I know that repeatedly dredging it back up with him won't help us at all. I like Marlene Dietrich's quote - "Once a woman has forgiven her man, she must not reheat his sins for breakfast." Yet, sometimes I might want to "reheat" the apology, and his note will help with that. And I believe that eventually I will be healed enough to burn that note. We have talked very openly about what led up to this. He knows he is ultimately the one at fault, but I have been willing to acknowledge my role in making him feel "trapped" through my pressure. Basically, we have both admitted to letting each other down in some way, and have realized that the relationship is bigger and more important than any individual mistakes or faults, and so we forgive and move on. Generally speaking, I feel that we will be stronger as a result of dealing with this together, so openly and so well. Life together will get hard again, and this lesson has re-commited us to each other, and should give us skills to deal with future challenges.

So my question... Am I completely nuts for forgiving him so easily, or is that just a sign that what we have must be strong enough to endure? Does it sound, to outsiders, like he is worthy of my trust again? Anyone else out there ever deal with similar situation?

Thanks!

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,568
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,568
This was already posted on the EN forum, I would encourage followup posters to direct their comments there, to keep things in one place.

Original Poster, please try to keep it in one forum for courtesy's sake.


Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 472 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0