Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1539448 12/13/05 11:58 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I wasn't sure how to name my post, but it has to do with income, so ...

For those struggling with money needs after spouse left, here is what I did: I contacted agencies that set up housing for foreign students in the U.S. for intensive English language study immersion, applied for a live-in student who would eat with us. We have a 23 year old guy from Japan staying in our newly painted spare room. The agency pays us a monthly stipend. He fixes his own breakfast (cold cereal, fruit, juice) and I cook dinner and we eat at 7 or before.

It is working out well. He spends the days in school, and spends a little time with my 16 year old son watching Beavis and [censored] (which son explains to him) or playing computer games or other things, then he goes into his room where he studies for HOURS. He has made friends at school, so we don't see him much on weekends.

In this way we have mealtime structure, dinner time conversation, and I cook really healthy and delicious meals (no, I'm not bragging) and I can be more creative with the food than when hubby was living here.

I spread out the expensive meals with the cheaper ones, I can use food bought in bulk and frozen (hubby was unbelievable rigid and picky in his food requirements).

I'm working on my resume and my skills to go back to work part-time until our son either has his full driver's lic. and I don't need to be in the car with him, or until he is in college.

The students are screened and matched with your family. I didn't care which sex they sent us; I only said absolutely no smokers. The student told me in his halting English about a phone con he had with his mother back in Japan.

He is the youngest of 3 kids. He told her he now knows what it is like to have a younger brother. And I told him I always wanted more children, so he was like a son in our home.

Also, my son sees this student eating lots of different foods without turning up his nose, and he is becoming more adventurous with food and less picky.

I'm not mentioning the name of the agency because of TOS. Just wanted to put something out that may be helpful.

H
H
What a wonderful post!!!

Now I wish I had a spare room!!!

Congratulations on your ingenuity... what a great way to help yourself, and help someone else and enrich your family.

Very inspiring!!!!

H2U

B
OP Offline
B
I hope someone else can use the idea, Honey.

The woman from the agency who came to interview us and check out the room beforehand asked why I wanted to have a guest student. I thought about it for a minute, and then told her that my family was shrinking, and I wanted to have a family feel at the dinner table. (I love to cook!)

W
W
I know someone who this might be useful for.
If you can't name the agency, can you let us know what key words to search in google for?

B
OP Offline
B
I don't remember the search words, but guessing:
Host families
Student boarders
language schools
foreign language schools
Or call local colleges, ask if they use any agencies. Or call local language schools, they will refer you to the agencies they use.
Good luck.

C
C
What an awesome idea, Thank you I would never have thought of that!!

B
OP Offline
B
Good luck. Let me know how it goes at [email]d0mest1cg0ddess@verizon.net.[/email]

Belle, Domestic Goddess

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 758 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation