Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Well, it looks at if I may end up going to court over my divorce. The problem is I can't afford to pay my attourney anymore so I will have to do this by myself. Can anyone tell me what things I need to do in order to be prepared for court. I live in south dakota and this is a 50/50 state no matter what.

A little background: We do not have any kids or a house. My STBXW moved out about a year ago.

Thanks

ME=25 WW=26 married 5 years, together 7(first and only's) D-day 3/05? Divorced 2/06
N
N
I don't know your sitch, so these comments may seem callous, but
With no kids or house, why would you go to court?
Are there substantial assets to split? If not, just settle it and move on. Otherwise, try a mediator, far cheaper than a lawyer for each of you.
If you are fighting over house contents, how much is that sofa really worth? 1 lawyer hour or two. Cut your losses and settle.

It was a marriage that never really started.
H: Conflict Avoider, NPD No communication skills (Confirmed by MC) Me: Enabler
Sep'd 12/01, D'd 08/03.
My joys and the light of my life: DD 11, DD 9
*Approach life and situations from the point of love - not from fear.*
L
L
I was wondering the same thing as newly. I'm also unfortunately heading to court after 1 1/2 years of trying to reconcile and over 3 1/2 years of trying to get Dv'd from a WH who just won't respond to any offers. Basically, I'll never get divorced without forcing the issue. But, I have a lawyer. It's costing me a fortune and definitely wouldn't be worth it except we own a small business and several pieces of real estate which are worth more than the lawyer's fees.

FBS, D'day 12/00 * NC since 5/02 * divorce final 5/06 * property settlement 9/06 What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has Magic, Power, and Genius in it. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
R
R
Get educated ... here is the link Family Law

-rh-

Give your absolute best such that you could look back 10 years from now w/ no regret.

Happily Married to Lady Elina - 04/29/06
S
S
Why go to court? Why even have a lawyer?
I've been divorced X2 and did it all myself. Cost me only $40 each time. Lawyers, car dealers, and politicians are cut from the same branch. Who does most of the work in a divorce case, the paralegal, not the lawyer. It's even easier to do today than before. All the forms and such are just Word docs, fill in the blanks and have the secretary take them over to the courthouse for filing, that's all they do........... then charge you big $$$$. Make it a team effort between you and your next X, screw the lawyer if you don't wanna screw each other anymore.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 145 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Comfortable Shoe, Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969
71,846 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation