Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1678554 06/11/06 05:39 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I was given this by a friend who knows my sitch. I think I'll frame it!

Letting Go
To let go doesn't mean to stop caring, it means I can't do it for someone else.
To let go is not to cut myself off, it's the realization that I don't control another.
To let go is not to enable but to to allow learning from natural consequences.
To let go is to admit powerlessness, which means the outcome is not in my hands.
To let go is not to try to change or blame another, I can only change myself.
To let go is not to care for but to care about.
To let go is not to fix but to be supportive.
To let go is not to judge but to to allow another to be a human being.
To let go is not to be in the middle arranging all outcomes but to allow others to affect their own outcomes.
To let go is not to be protective, it is to permit another to face reality.
To let go is not to deny but to accept.
To let go is not to nag, scold, or argue but to search out my own shortcomings and to correct them.
To let go is not to adjust everything to my desires but to take each day as it comes and to cherish the moment.
To let go is not to criticize and regulate anyone but to try to become what I dream I can be.
To let go is not to regret the past but to grow and live for the future.
To let go is to fear less and love more.

Me/BS 48
Married 16 yrs/together 23; 1 child
Dday 4/05; WH "needed space" and left 5/05
WH Filed D papers 6/05 - Divorce final 12/05
WH moved in with OW 11/05; moved out OW 1/06
12/06 His 3rd and strongest attempt at reconcilliation (I believe OW still in picture)
2/07 Affair over, begging me to take him back - it's too late.
WH has tried numerous times to reconcile.
Shattered05 #1678555 06/11/06 06:31 PM
O
O
this is what my wife wants of me, guess ill show this to her if she comes home

oddmanout #1678556 06/11/06 08:12 PM
A
A
To let go is not to judge but to to allow another to be a human being

Very naive question maybe, but when a spouse says I have my friends who I want to hang out with and I will not give up these friends even if they make you uncomfortable, does one not judge, does one allow the spouse to be human???

Really trying to figure out what is okay and what is not okay...

Basically trying to let go, but obviously looking for every excuse not to...

Separated: 12/18/2005

Alison222 #1678557 06/11/06 09:07 PM
H
H
Sounds like an issue that needs the impartiality of a counselor. Why do the friends bother you? If the reason seems legitimate, the spouse should consider giving them up.

Hiker45 #1678558 06/11/06 09:15 PM
A
A
Shoot - I think this is a thread jack, but we have been to an MC and she questioned his "friends" (her name is Traci)... He refuses to give up his friendship for the sake of his marriage - I asked him to and he said no..

The friend bothers me b/c he has lied to me to be with her, tey talk all the time and she cries about her problems to my H - while I am sitting at home raising our DD...

So--- no what..??

Alison222 #1678559 06/12/06 06:17 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Very naive question maybe, but when a spouse says I have my friends who I want to hang out with and I will not give up these friends even if they make you uncomfortable, does one not judge, does one allow the spouse to be human???

Allison, that is not allowing one to be human. Allowing them to be human would be recognizing that we all make mistakes.

Your husband has placed this other woman over you. He has also lied to you to be with her. This is a problem. Don't know if you have a thread on this board. If you don't, why don't you start one?
Good luck.
S.

Me/BS 48
Married 16 yrs/together 23; 1 child
Dday 4/05; WH "needed space" and left 5/05
WH Filed D papers 6/05 - Divorce final 12/05
WH moved in with OW 11/05; moved out OW 1/06
12/06 His 3rd and strongest attempt at reconcilliation (I believe OW still in picture)
2/07 Affair over, begging me to take him back - it's too late.
WH has tried numerous times to reconcile.
Shattered05 #1678560 06/12/06 06:24 AM
A
A
Thanks shattered, I do have a thread, right under this one, this morning cuz I need some advice on stuff, but thanks for your post above... I am seeing H's true colors more and more often... Not very pretty if you ask me...

Thanks and good luck to you as well...

Alison

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 239 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation