Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
I think I have made a mistake in confiding in my familly (mother & sister) about my marital trouble.

They dislike H and are encouraging me to leave the M. Sister hinted that she would be willing to sign a lease on a apt for me if I leave. Both feel that H has big problems that will not go away and that he will continue to cause me emotional, financial and possibly physical harm.

He has quarreled with both of them, especially my mother, (I witnessed the quarrel and I think she was in the wrong, but both of them showed their rumps pretty well)

The quarrel with Sis is much older, and she has avoided him since. She thinks he's an arrogant a**, and he thinks she's a prissy know-it-all, and I think they are both correct.

Both Mom and Sis have helped out with $ in financial emergencies, I owe them and feel very guilty that I have not been able to repay.

Should I avoid any conversation with them about my M at this point?

L
L
My experience...your mother and sister are their own persons...they make their own decisions...and one of them will be coming to terms with you being separate, beloved and what you want is what you want for you.

People grow...make boundaries around your marriage. They can dislike your WH...you can lovingly show them they cannot encourage you to leave your H. Your choice. You cannot make them like your H...you can ask for their respect for your marriage.

Don't do hints...direct statements only, 'k? Ask, "What do you mean?" Don't DJ. "Are you offering me a way out of my marriage now, or if he begins divorcing me?" Don't assume or mindread...uhm...anyone.

Helps a lot.

You are the gatekeeper to their relationship with you...demonstrate you love them, respect their have their own opinions, and do not allow them to disparage, define or judge you or your H. That's not healthy in any relationship, is it?

You owe them money...not your life. Pay them back. Pay them off. You are able...at ten dollars a week...it is the act of repayment, not the totality that often counts. Keep doing it...you can.

How has avoiding conflict helped you in your life so far?

LA

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks LA,
That is pretty much my attitude...your validation helps keep me strong!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,097 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation