Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
I'm posting for my sister-in-law. We all know that God wants us to stay married to our spouses for life. However, is there a biblical reference regarding a woman leaving her husband because he has become physically abusive? Does God expect a W to stay in an abusive relationship or what? SIL has been physically abused (broken nose, black eyes and a broken ankle, all from one attack). She has seen an attorney, and I think that the only reason why she has not started the D process yet is because she feels an obligation to make her marriage work. I am pretty sure that there's a reference in the Bible as to God giving "the green light" to get out of such circumstances. Does anyone here know of such?

Thanks for your help!

CalifWoman

E
E
I know in proverbs there is a reference "better to live on corner of roof then with illtempered woman" which in this case is man. sure isn't following ephesians regarding loving his wife as his own body. there is reference (new testament)about separating for a short period of time. short period is not defined. she better go. sorry i don't have references with concordance. i am library and time almost up. hope this helps.

C
OP Offline
C
I know in proverbs there is a reference "better to live on corner of roof then with illtempered woman" which in this case is man. sure isn't following ephesians regarding loving his wife as his own body. there is reference (new testament)about separating for a short period of time. short period is not defined. she better go. sorry i don't have references with concordance. i am library and time almost up. hope this helps.

Thank you, I do appreciate your post. It does help.

CalifWoman

-------------------------- Me: now 41 WH: now 42 D#1: 16 D#2: 13 M: 16 yrs A: began 5/01? DD: 9/01 Separation: 10/01 D final: 11/02 Bottom line: I am SOOOO much better off
A
A
In Malichi 2 it says, "14You cry out, "Why has the LORD abandoned us?" I'll tell you why! Because the LORD witnessed the vows you and your wife made to each other on your wedding day when you were young. But you have been disloyal to her, though she remained your faithful companion, the wife of your marriage vows. 15Didn't the LORD make you one with your wife? In body and spirit you are his.[b] And what does he want? Godly children from your union. So guard yourself; remain loyal to the wife of your youth. 16"For I hate divorce!" says the LORD, the God of Israel. "It is as cruel as putting on a victim's bloodstained coat," says the LORD Almighty. "So guard yourself; always remain loyal to your wife."

God doesn't want divorce, but the husband is to treat his wife in a loyal and faithful way. God hates divorce because it impacts so many, especially children of the marriage. But there are other verses where it talks about how a father should love his wife and love his children. If the husband never repents, and never changes, then you have to wonder if he is a believer, which changes how things are looked at.

In Mark 10 it says, " 3"What did Moses say about divorce?" Jesus asked them.

4"Well, he permitted it," they replied. "He said a man merely has to write his wife an official letter of divorce and send her away."[a]5But Jesus responded, "He wrote those instructions only as a concession to your hard-hearted wickedness. 6But God's plan was seen from the beginning of creation, for `He made them male and female.'[b] 7`This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife,[c] 8and the two are united into one.'[d] Since they are no longer two but one, 9let no one separate them, for God has joined them together."10Later, when he was alone with his disciples in the house, they brought up the subject again. 11He told them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery against her. 12And if a woman divorces her husband and remarries, she commits adultery.""

Divorce was permitted in the old testament under Moses. Jesus said it was because man had a hard-heart. But he also said that it was not God's desire for people to divorce. In other words everything should be done for the marriage and not just give up. But in the case of abuse if does not mean the person has to stay and live with the abuser. 1 Corinthians 6, " 9Don't you know that those who do wrong will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, who are idol worshipers, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals, 10thieves, greedy people, drunkards, abusers, and swindlers--none of these will have a share in the Kingdom of God." So as the Bible says, abusers will not have a part of his Kingdom, so it goes back to whether the person is a true Christian or not.

I think the key verses are in 1 Corinthians 7, "13And if a Christian woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he is willing to continue living with her, she must not leave him. 14For the Christian wife brings holiness to her marriage, and the Christian husband brings holiness to his marriage. Otherwise, your children would not have a godly influence, but now they are set apart for him. 15(But if the husband or wife who isn't a Christian insists on leaving, let them go. In such cases the Christian husband or wife is not required to stay with them, for God wants his children to live in peace.)"

Remember God hates divorce because of the effect on the children. But God also wants his children to libe in peace.

E
E
she still has to take care of her temple. I agree God hates divorce.but there is help needed and a short period of separation to do this is ok. does this couple have children since askme has brought this up? are they christians? just curious. ephesians loving wife still should be there.

E
E
i just wanted to add to divorce comment from askme she (according to passage)can divorce if she doesn't remarry. but i think it mostly regarding believers. but as I stated earlier help is needed. this is not good.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 446 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation