Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1759551 10/18/06 09:48 PM
L
OP Offline
L
We are married for 2 years and 2 months already. We agreed to end it. We just do not get along well. He brought up the idea and I agreed. We have an adopted child, 1 yr old boy. Now, I want a lawyerless divorce so we could save money and lessen the hassle not to get anyone else involve in it. I found an article about having a lawyerless divorce in cheap divorce. Pretty much from the guidelines shown, we sort of qualified for it. But there is one thing that struck me..."You do not have Kids". This is from the article. What do you all think? Is this really big thing?
My Ex-husband has agreed to give us child support. And I also promised him that he could visit our child.
Do you think having a lawyerless divorce is not a good idea?

lizzi123 #1759552 10/19/06 06:03 AM
M
M
when children are involved i do not believe you can have a divorce without a lawyer. not 100 percent on that but most of those "get a quickie cheap divorce" ads are for those with no kids, no assets, no nothing. for both of your protection, i would get an attorney. if you are as amicable as you say you both are, you could share a lawyer (although i personally do NOT think that is a good idea, but some people do do that)

mlhb

God first, family second, and all else will fall into place.

mlhbisme #1759553 10/19/06 09:29 AM
N
N
Another option is to use a mediator. Many mediators may also be lawyers, and could draft final documents.

I'm surprised that you are that agreed on a divorce, after such a short time and after the rigor of adopting a child.

There are many things you can hash out on your own. A mediator can guide you and can smooth over problem areas, while drafting the official documents.

It was a marriage that never really started.
H: Conflict Avoider, NPD No communication skills (Confirmed by MC) Me: Enabler
Sep'd 12/01, D'd 08/03.
My joys and the light of my life: DD 11, DD 9
*Approach life and situations from the point of love - not from fear.*
lizzi123 #1759554 10/20/06 09:30 PM
S
S
Lizzie,

Call your local Legal Aid office which is usually more affordable than going straight to an attorney. You will usually talk to an experienced paralagel. And if you and your H agrees to some form of a Marital Settlement Agreement that clearly draws up his spousal/child support in accordance with some X amount of percentage based on his income and yours, your projected housing/living expense as a single mother to be and visitation rights. Legal Aid offices have attorneys on staff.

As long as you and your H don't bicker over dollars and cents, your divorce should be less complicated than those who have a lot of assets to divy up.

Good luck. Just be sure that you and your H are 100% absolutely sure you two would be happier divorced and they you two have at least gone through some marriage counseling to determine why you two are no longer happy. Sometimes, children, adopted or not can throw a big wrench into any marital bliss.

Take care.

L
OP Offline
L
My stbx and I have decided to get a lawyer. I fear for anything that might happen along the way. We will have it documented and legal. Thank so much for the responses. They have helped me think the possibilities and difficulties that might come.

mlhbisme #1759556 11/15/06 05:36 PM
L
L
what state are you in? I am in CA and I did my divorce all on my own. Cost me only $320. I have a toddler also. it was HARD and stressful...but I only have a High School Diploma and if I can debate in a Divorce Trial..I think you can also. I won everything I wanted also. No visatation to EX, $500 in child support a month and the car. (We had no other assesets.) he fought me tooth and nail and it was still over in 8 months. Since your EX is willing to cooperate you should have no problem.

lizette #1759557 11/18/06 06:24 PM
S
S
Lizette, why no visitation for you ex concerning child?

ME:46
DS:15
DS:12
In a relationship w/NPD for 17 yrs.
ended:05/22/06: Thank you God!
Mark Twain: "As I got older, my father got smarter"
sag06 #1759558 11/18/06 10:38 PM
A
A
That is how my wife and I are doing it. It seems to be straight forward enough. but I have also been told to talk with an attorney.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation