Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Karona #1777913 12/19/06 03:35 PM
K
Karona Offline OP
OP Offline
K
LT~

How did the Christmas party go?
I'm right there with you. I'm pretty quiet myself in a group setting, or in general until I feel out my surroundings.
I always envy those who have the gift to gab, or that are comfortable in a big group.

K.

Divorced 12/17/2003 Formerly KEB1205 Reg 9/02
Karona #1777914 12/19/06 03:54 PM
G
G
I'm going to a school Concernt. M is not coming and I can't blame him. School concerts are best enjoyed by blood relatives.

I like the challenge idea. I have my own challenge. I'm going to try to believe I deserve M. Then, I'm going to do my part in this relationship by getting in shape. M says things like "Do you really think I care?" Well, of course I think he cares how I look! I'm not an idiot. I don't think it's of primary importance to him, but if I really pack on the pounds, he'll be unhappy.

Can I just tell you all how much I HATE and RESENT being in love? I have a love-hate relationship with hit. At any minute it could go up in smoke. I used to think once you were engaged or married, you didn't have to worry so much. Now, I know better. It's scary.

It's also fun.

Got to run. Love you girls! And I see men in your future.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
Greengables #1777915 12/19/06 04:37 PM
N
N
The future is a very, very long time.

Early this year, divorced friends and I saw a psychic. She said, this is your year to meet someone. But with your luck/timing, it will likely happen at the very end of the year.
Now, there are only 12 days left in the year. Think positive thoughts ladies.

GG, I can't even imagine the feeling of being in love. It sounds great from this side of the fence. And, I can't imagine you heavy, so I'm sure you are exaggerating. But, I would seem to gain weight in a relationship, too, perhaps with the same thoughts of "I don't deserve this"

You'll see us in our Christmas card soon in your mailbox.

It was a marriage that never really started.
H: Conflict Avoider, NPD No communication skills (Confirmed by MC) Me: Enabler
Sep'd 12/01, D'd 08/03.
My joys and the light of my life: DD 11, DD 9
*Approach life and situations from the point of love - not from fear.*
newly #1777916 12/19/06 06:26 PM
K
Karona Offline OP
OP Offline
K
And I see men in your future

Men? Bah-humbug!
I just don't see it happening. Not here anyway.
Newly, we need to set the challenge and quick! The end of the year?? You better work it girl!

Happy for ya GG! Hope the concert was great. And, you're so right. If personal interest lacks at these events, they can be really hard to sit thru.

K.

Karona #1777917 12/19/06 07:12 PM
L
L
Hi K, I wanted to respond to what you said on GDP's thread:

I've been on a site now for a couple of weeks. It's not going very well for me. I've emailed/talked and met 1 out of many contacts. I don't think this search thing is for me.

I finally started getting a bunch of matches on e-harmony after the last time I wrote to them and then adjusted my settings from the whole world to within 200 miles (I live in a fairly remote area). I think the reality of on-line dating is that there are a lot of men out there in our areas, in our age ranges, who meet our basic criteria, but it takes getting to know someone at least a little to find out if we're compatible. It will probably take many months to find someone who feels like a keeper, that is if our egos can take it for that long.

GG, I totally get what you're saying about being in love. I felt the same way with Mr. 11 weeks. It felt so good but at the same time so scary, and when it ended abruptly it was like what I imagine it would be like going through withdrawal from a drug, with mood swings, cravings, not eating, not sleeping. Yuck! And I'm actually thinking about allowing myself to risk being hurt like that again?!

I see men in our futures, too, but will they be the "happily ever after" kind? That's the real question!

K, Thanks for asking about the party. It went really well. Everyone seemed to like my speech, I got a lot of compliments on my dress, the band played and people danced until they ran out of dance music, the food was great, I had very few no-shows. All in all it was a great success!

FBS, D'day 12/00 * NC since 5/02 * divorce final 5/06 * property settlement 9/06 What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has Magic, Power, and Genius in it. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
LetSTry #1777918 12/19/06 09:59 PM
K
Karona Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I think the reality of on-line dating is that there are a lot of men out there in our areas, in our age ranges, who meet our basic criteria, but it takes getting to know someone at least a little to find out if we're compatible. It will probably take many months to find someone who feels like a keeper, that is if our egos can take it for that long.

I think you're right LT, but I can't bring myself to even exchange pleasantries with some of these guys. I can't do it. If they're my height or shorter, gone.
Smoker, gone.
10 yrs older than me, gone. [think about it, that's 10 or so yrs younger than my mother]
And the list goes on.
Maybe it comes down to I'm not ready or I'm afraid.
Afraid of allowing myself to be vulnerable to someone else.
I don't know. All I do know is, it feels good to not feel pain where a man is concerned. I know that's not the right attitude, but it's honest.

I'm glad you're party went so well. I bet you gave a nice one! Good way to end out this past year.

K.

Karona #1777919 12/19/06 11:44 PM
L
L
All I do know is, it feels good to not feel pain where a man is concerned. I know that's not the right attitude, but it's honest.

K, you know I relate to this, too!

I think we have to be discerning. I'm 5'4", but I pretty much rule out anyone under 5'8". I also rule out smokers and anyone more than 5 years older than I am. I've actually never dated anyone older except Mr. 11 who was 2 weeks older. I don't think this means we're afraid. As for not ready... well, are we ever? I know I'm a "work in progress" and there will always be room for improvement!

FBS, D'day 12/00 * NC since 5/02 * divorce final 5/06 * property settlement 9/06 What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has Magic, Power, and Genius in it. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Karona #1777920 12/20/06 09:03 AM
N
N
[quote]If they're my height or shorter, gone.
Smoker, gone.
10 yrs older than me, gone. [think about it, that's 10 or so yrs younger than my mother][quote]

I have those criteria and more. Similar education and station in life are also important in how you view the world, and what we want in a mate.

I went to happy hour last night (a once a year event) and the group told me I need to date, and were brainstorming about where I can go, what I can do. And one of my employees offered to rewrite my profile. He's 35 and married, but logs on to match for his single friends, so he's seen the profile.

For those of us out here with kids, a NMNKs really has a hard time understanding our lives, and our stresses.

So, how can we be discerning, yet approachable?

Sep'd 12/01, D'd 08/03.
newly #1777921 12/20/06 09:45 AM
K
Karona Offline OP
OP Offline
K
LT~
I've only once dated someone a year older than myself. The others were my age or younger. So what does this info tell us? [And I was 2 days older than Mr 5!]
Are we supposed to go out on a limb and date older? Not sure I'm prepared for that.

Newly~
When your friends get it figured out where you're supposed to go and how to do this, let us know. I always enjoy it when people tell us what we're supposed to be doing. It happens to me often.
NMNK's guy scares me, just as much as a divorced man that's 48-50 with NK's. How could they ever understand?

K.

Karona #1777922 12/20/06 07:42 PM
L
L
K, How interesting that you're like me in that... Most of the guys who contact me are older and I'm trying to be open minded about it. They're also not good looking enough, IMNSHO. I'm trying to be open minded about that, too.

newly, I agree with similar education and station in life, too. This was one of the main issues for me with XBF (not Mr. 11 weeks), who BTW, K, was 8 years younger.

I've been talking to a friend about it and for now, I'm going to respond to more of the guys who contact me, for practice, if nothing else. Did you see the book that came out last year about the woman who dated every man who asked her out and eventually got married? I can't remember the title but read a review on a plane trip. She was trying to get away from her stereotypes of the perfect guy I think and be more open to possibilities.

Yesterday, same friend told me she saw Mr.11 weeks and she felt like he purposely avoided eye contact. Her assessment: "He's not okay!" He might not have seen her, who knows, but given his sudden 180, it's easy to believe he might not be ok. I haven't heard anything from mutual friend and don't plan to ask. The funny thing was, when I thought of 11 and W splitting, it actually made me nervous, like I'd rather not have to be faced with the possibility again...

LetSTry #1777923 12/21/06 08:09 PM
K
Karona Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Yesterday, same friend told me she saw Mr.11 weeks and she felt like he purposely avoided eye contact. Her assessment: "He's not okay!" He might not have seen her, who knows, but given his sudden 180, it's easy to believe he might not be ok. I haven't heard anything from mutual friend and don't plan to ask. The funny thing was, when I thought of 11 and W splitting, it actually made me nervous, like I'd rather not have to be faced with the possibility again..

Funny you mention this....I was considering asking you if you would consider going out with him again should he decide to give it another try.
I for a long time felt that if my guy came back, I would, no questions asked. But, as time has passed, I'm not so sure. They work in the same office, so they will always be facing each other. That was one of his claims, he had to see her everyday. Although, while we were dating, he told me that wasn't an issue for him, but was for her.
Truthfully, I don't think either of our guys are happy. But, they went back to the known. No growth in that.

Another funny, my ltr was 7 yrs younger than me. Interesting eh?

I did hear of the woman you're speaking of. That took a lot of courage. She found her one though didn't she?!

K.

Karona #1777924 12/22/06 12:08 PM
L
L
Hi K, I don't really know what would happen if Mr.11 wanted to give it another try. Since he's now married, he'd first have to be divorced and this time, "friendship" with XW/former XGF (who he'd "never" get back together with) would be out of the question - just like now friendship with me is out of the question in their relationship! He told me we were friends now, but agreed when I said, "But I can't talk to you." Looking back, he was always more protective of her feelings than mine. Chalk it up to another book title "He's Just Not That In To You!"

How about you? I'm assuming it would be similar. Mr. 5's GF, the one it didn't bother him to be around, would clearly be a much bigger issue!

Yes, the woman who wrote that book about dating everyone who asked her out did eventually get married. She seemed to have 100's of men ask her out, a veritable smorgasbord! I'm lucky to get a side dish or two...

And yes, that's interestingly coincidental about your LTR!

LetSTry #1777925 12/22/06 12:12 PM
N
N
Be happy about a side dish, I'm getting crumbs.
They guys at work are now brainstorming ideas, and are trying to rewrite my profile.

Sep'd 12/01, D'd 08/03.
newly #1777926 12/22/06 07:55 PM
L
L
Hey, newly, if they come up with any good ideas, be sure to share them here. This internet dating is a whole new world for all of us!

LetSTry #1777927 12/22/06 10:45 PM
K
K
I hope it's okay if I join in this thread! I was laughing because you have dated younger men. Well, I'm 47, and ever since my divorce, I LOVE older men. I'm talking men in their early 50's....I LOVE gray hair...the thick kind, not the balding type. But I am totally attracted to the more mature, older mentality (and hopefully they're past the mid life crisis stage). I am going to try e-harmony again next summer. I am two years away from all kids being in college, so I'm thinking of trying again summer 2007. Am looking for a spiritual, Christian type, and don't know if I'll find that on match or yahoo. I enjoy following your adventures and hope that someday I'll have something to add.
Take care.
KK

Me, 49
Divorced 3-13-03
son 21, daughter 18, daughter 16
“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new
thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland” (Isa. 43:18, 19).

kk2002 #1777928 12/23/06 08:28 AM
K
Karona Offline OP
OP Offline
K
kk~

Glad you joined!

I've been thinking about what you've said, and maybe you have a good point. Could be that they could be more settled. I admit, I kind of like the hair too!

I don't know where you live, but I have a guy here that sounds like who you're looking for. Very nice guy, good job, good family guy, he's even nice looking! He especially meets your desire for the spiritual/Christian type. Isn't that the way though......they're never where we need them?

Sounds like you have your life on track!

Come back! I don't know that you will learn anything from our adventures, as it seems like we 3 are racing for the title of no possibilities.

K.

Karona #1777929 12/23/06 09:42 AM
N
N
Hi All! I've been reading & wanting to join in but even now don't have much time.

I wonder too if the right man will cross my path. I'd like to think I'm open to whom ever it may be. I feel ready & don't think I'm picky, but still, dating does feel foreign. It's disheartening to go on date after date yet not find someone I really want to continue seeing.

What I finds happens with me is I date someone, think he's fine, would go on a second date. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't, but I've not been truly struck by anyone yet.

I said yet so I'm hopeful!

Formerly nam here since 07/31/03 coastal, CT
nams #1777930 12/23/06 11:49 AM
L
L
I'm talking men in their early 50's....I LOVE gray hair...the thick kind, not the balding type. But I am totally attracted to the more mature, older mentality (and hopefully they're past the mid life crisis stage).

kk, Me, too, but for me, they're younger men, LOL! So glad you joined, us. The more the merrier!

I don't know that you will learn anything from our adventures, as it seems like we 3 are racing for the title of no possibilities.

Ouch, K!

nams, good to see you here too. I know what you mean about dating someone who seems "fine" but nothing special. I was talking to someone today about how she met her current absolutely wonderful boyfriend. She said they'd known each other for a year at a singles club they attended before she paid any attention to him. On-line dating seems to eliminate that possibility. We get one date and if there's no immediate "chemistry" then the communication ends.

LetSTry #1777931 12/23/06 03:04 PM
K
Karona Offline OP
OP Offline
K

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know that you will learn anything from our adventures, as it seems like we 3 are racing for the title of no possibilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch, K!

I didn't mean to offend LT, honestly I didn't. It just seems that the 3 of us have the same adventures, which are few and far in between.

I bought a book last night and thought of you immediately.
[Again, no offense intended, please don't take it that way]
And, for anyone else that may be intersted.
Title: "The Unmistakble Touch of Grace" by, Cheryl Richardson.

It's about recognizing the spiritual singposts in your life, and goes further to say, that there are no coincidences to people that we meet. Every event and person we meet is put in our path for a reason.
I actually believe this. When I think of the people I've met in the last 5 years, I do feel there was purpose for them.
It was intriguing to me when I came across it last night at the book store.

nams #1777932 12/23/06 04:47 PM
K
Karona Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Good to see you too Nams!

I think when it happens for any/all of us, it's going to completely take us be surprise. May 2007 be a whole new year for each of us!

K.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 700 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation