Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1825650 02/13/07 12:14 PM
J
Js_Life Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello everyone.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of verbiage for a portion of my wedding ceremony and was hoping to solilcit some suggestions from everyone here.

We have chosen to only have our sons in our wedding party. My almost 10 year old son will walk me down the isle and be the ring bearer and my stbH's 14 year old son will be his best man.

I don't want the traditional "Who gives this woman" verbiage, so I'm trying to think of alternatives that fit my son "giving me away". I don't want him to feel like he's giving me away.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again,
Jessica

T
T
We have chosen to only have our sons in our wedding party. My almost 10 year old son will walk me down the isle and be the ring bearer and my stbH's 14 year old son will be his best man.

Not sure I can help w/ the verbage but where are you getting married? In a church? If so, better check with the pastor to see if he is okay with your son walking you down the aisle, because some aren't okay with that..

I know some aren't so perticular, but others are..

Simul Justus Et Peccator
“Righteous and at the same time a sinner.”
(Martin Luther)
F
F
If it does work out to have your son in the wedding, there are many great alternatives to "give". Just check out a Thesaurus and you'll find synonyms such as bestow, bequeth, present, provide, grant, confer, etc...
It's simple, but you can just go with "Who presents this woman" - then your son won't be 'giving you away'

J
Js_Life Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you both for your responses.

ThornedRose...we checked with our pastor before hand and he's fine with the arrangement.

Fast_horses, you are correct and there are a ton of different ways to say it. I just wanted something that represented us and my son not feeling like he was giving me away, which is why I solicited the feedback. Luckily, I was given one by a friend that we both really like that I'll use.

"Who offers (my name)'s hand in marriage?"

Thanks for the help. :-)

Jessica

C
C
No one has to offer you. You can consent to come to be married.....Aren't you your own self. Aren't you an adult. You are not, I assume, leaving the household of one set of adults to go to another set. There doesn't have to be any 'giving' - why not 'choosing to come to be married'?

C
C
JD and BF have you both chosen to come to this altar...to be married and live as one...and to join your families and live as one family?

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation