Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1827406 02/18/07 08:12 PM
_
_AD_ Offline OP
OP Offline
_
Mel,

Hmmm.. I think you were a little rough on this here newby

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/sho...rue#Post3188058

Now, she's apparently gone away. Do you think there's any way to welcome her to continue discussing her problem with us?

-AD

Last edited by _AD_; 02/18/07 08:57 PM.

A guy, 50. Divorced in 2005.
_AD_ #1827407 02/18/07 08:18 PM
M
M
Well, I think in this case, the truth was a "little rough." Hopefully, she listened and took our advice. Unfortunately, we have no control over that.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

_AD_ #1827408 02/18/07 08:21 PM
B
B
Mel does not do sunshine enemas. What's your point?

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
bigkahuna #1827409 02/18/07 08:57 PM
_
_AD_ Offline OP
OP Offline
_
Mel and BK,

My point is that this woman came here looking for help.

Mel's comments ... were such that a reasonable person would be offended.

It seemed to me that you were calling her a fool.

OK, suppose a fool comes here and posts. Should she rot? Or can we take a respectful (to her, as a person) tone and try to help?

The newby comes here looking for help in a desparate situation and should recieve, as far as we are able, respectful treatment.

I remember the first time I posted about my situation here, and somebody said, in short, "You didn't marry a real woman. Divorce her and get a real woman."

As a newby, I didn't know anybody on this forum. I didn't know about the previous month's wars or who was in and who was out or any of that stuff. I didn't know who's opinion was never to be trusted - and who's opinion was never to be questioned.

So, I just deleted all my posts and backed out for a month or two - during which time I could have been recieving helpful advice if I had not been driven away by somebody who turns out to have been nobody important.

I think this lady is gone. But can we be a little more respectful on the next one?

That's all I'm asking.

-AD

_AD_ #1827410 02/18/07 09:05 PM
B
B
I read what was posted to that newbie and found nothing at all amiss. That's me.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
_AD_ #1827411 02/18/07 09:10 PM
M
M
Disagree, Ad, she was not treated disrespectfully at all, nor are you in a position to dictate posting styles here. She heard some much needed truth, something which your own post sorely lacked, IMO. But, nothing is stopping you from saying some cute words to her if you think that will bring her back and help her in anyway. I don't mind if you post in the style that expresses your personality, but be assured I will post in the style that suits me.

I don't think you fully comprehend what this young, naive girl is up against and thusly, don't understand why we were so straightforward with her. She is dealing with a liar and a con-artist who speaks the language of [censored] for a reason: he is hiding something. She is poised to marry a dishonest, dishonorable man who has abandoned his own child and very probably is already married to someone else. She is poised to make one of the biggest mistakes of her life by marrying a man with such HUGE RED FLAGS.

Such a situation does not warrant cute, NiceSpeak FuzzyTalk words, but very straightforward warnings to WAKE HER [censored] UP. She seriously needs a WAKE UP CALL to bring her out of her own fog. She does not even recognize that he is speaking doublespeak to her.

That is not being "too rough" to point out that this is a conartist who is using the language of [censored] to keep her in place. When someone is sitting on the train tracks oblivious to the fact that the train is COMING, cute, peachy words will not suffice, but rather a 2x4 to get them off the tracks.

Now, I have no idea why she did not come back, and neither do you, but it is more likely that she heard something she did not want to hear and is simply TRUTH AVERSE. We have no control over that, though.

So, be assured, AD, that I will continue to post in the style that suits ME. If it doesn't suit you, that is your own personal problem to resolve because you do not have control over others here.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

bigkahuna #1827412 02/18/07 09:14 PM
_
_AD_ Offline OP
OP Offline
_
OK, perhaps I shoud be specific. The last post (after which the original poster did not reappear) was

Wow, did you actually believe all that? REALLY? That is not even good bullcrap.

Again, Mel was calling the lady a fool. Even though the lady's primary language is evidently not English, I think she got the message.

When somebody comes looking for helpful advice and all we can tell them is "You're an idiot", I think we have failed as a community.

Just my opinion... but I venture to share it with Mel, because I believe she genuinely seeks to help people here. I suspect that she has become so comfortable with the reparte' with the regulars here, that she might not have thought about how that would sound to a new person.

-AD

MelodyLane #1827413 02/18/07 09:15 PM
M
M
p.s. AD, if a post does not meet your personal standards, might I suggest that you inform the MODS to get them to set the offensive poster straight? You do not set the standards on this board and are not in a position to dictate your personal standards to others. The MODS are, however.

You can report me at [email]justuss02@aol.com.[/email] Otherwise, I really don't give a damn if you like my posts or not.

Exposure 101

_AD_ #1827414 02/18/07 09:16 PM
_
_AD_ Offline OP
OP Offline
_
Mel,

I see we posted simultaneously.

Since when is sharing my opinion "dictating?"

-AD

_AD_ #1827415 02/18/07 09:17 PM
_
_AD_ Offline OP
OP Offline
_
Mel,

So, what you are saying is that members of a community should call the police first instead of trying to talk to their neighbors about something that bothers them?

I prefer to think that you are a reasonable person and I can communicate directly with you.

-AD

_AD_ #1827416 02/18/07 09:21 PM
_
_AD_ Offline OP
OP Offline
_
It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools.
Ecclesiastes 7:5

I thought you believed this, Mel.

-AD

_AD_ #1827417 02/18/07 09:22 PM
B
B
Oh so tempting..... but NVM.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
_AD_ #1827418 02/18/07 09:25 PM
M
M
Again, Mel was calling the lady a fool. Even though the lady's primary language is evidently not English, I think she got the message.

Oh dear God, this woman is being CONNED and your biggest concern is that she will "feel like a fool" if we tell her this? AD. AD. You are doing this lady a disservice. If she feels like a fool to have the obvious pointed out, I think she can survive that. What she can't survive is marrying a faithless man who is hiding something from her.

You are missing the big picture here, AD, and losing yourself on the false altar of nice words. Nice words are not what this lady needs, AD. She needs help understanding she is marrying a man with serious RED FLAGS.

Exposure 101

_AD_ #1827419 02/18/07 09:27 PM
M
M
Mel,

So, what you are saying is that members of a community should call the police first instead of trying to talk to their neighbors about something that bothers them?

I prefer to think that you are a reasonable person and I can communicate directly with you.

-AD

AD, it is not "reasonable" to imagine you can control the posting styles of others. That is arrogant and dictatorial. And won't work. You can only control yourself, AD.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #1827420 02/18/07 09:31 PM
M
M
I think it is imperative that this board have caring people that are willing to cut to the chase in a situation. Mel and BK are not always on the same page as me... but I ALWAYS know I am getting their honest take on things.

Sunshine enemas run rampant on these baords at times... it is nice to see some people willing to be direct... which in my opinion is a lot more caring than some other more gentle appraoches.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation