ie.
"It won't happen again."
"I will never leave you."
"Our marriage is for thick and th..."> ie.
"It won't happen again."
"I will never leave you."
"Our marriage is for thick and th...">

Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19206 10/10/99 08:47 AM
Joined: Aug 1999
Posts: 456
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Aug 1999
Posts: 456
I really would like my H to make some "promises."<BR>ie.<BR>"It won't happen again."<BR>"I will never leave you."<BR>"Our marriage is for thick and thin."<BR>"I will renew our vows."<P>Any of these promises would be nice to hear from him, but he will not "commit"to any of them. He does not even like the word "commit." Says it reminds him of straight jackets and men in white coats! I really feel I need something along these lines said or written to me for the security that is missing in our marriage. He says that to stay "open and honest" with me he cannot promise that our future will always be such that he would want to promise to stay with me forever, or that there may be a time that he meets another person who he would feel strongly about getting to know better. I have asked that he at least clue me in if such a situation or person should occur in our lives or at least divorce me first. He says these kinds of promises are not realistic. The closest we have come to an agreement is that neither one of us wants to settle for a relationship that is not at least "good," preferably "great." and that we will both do our best to keep it that way.<P>Anyone else have this kind of discussion with their spouse? Am I "needing" something that is or is not covered in the ten basic needs or is this just something I "want." <P>It really is a sore spot with me that I need to get past so any thoughts on the subject will be greatly appreciated.<P>Thanks,<BR>Beth

Joined: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,107
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Aug 1999
Posts: 6,107
Beth,<P>I've been on both sides of the fence, betrayed and betrayer, and I do know what you're talking about - yes, from both sides. One thing to remember, time heals, for both of you. He is being honest and you need to respect that. Would you want him to lie and say he can promise those things and then you feels a false sense of comfort that only blows you further out of the water when he blows it? <P>When my H strayed, he couldn't promise those things AT FIRST, but later, he was able to. We also had a marriage renewal FIVE YEARS afterward. Now he's saying he wants us (him and me) to do it again since I was unfaithful. It's been four months since it's been over for me, and I would still hesitate to answer your questions. I could say, yes, I promise to:<P>Try my hardest to put this marriage back together<P>Try to find the love that was lost between us<P>Learn the emotional tools to use instead of running away<P>Learn to talk to H instead of girlfriends or (god forbid) men<P>So, do you see what I mean? Right now, I could no more say "I'll never leave you" than my H could. And from his side, which is your side right now, if you had to live your life as it is right now, is this the way you would want it forever? Of course not. This place doesn't feel good for either spouse. Things have to change. One of those changes will be a renewed committment, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.<P>Hang in there, and give this - give HIM - time to sort through this. Are you guys in counseling? It really can help. And praise your H for his honesty... that s worth SO MUCH!!<P>------------------<BR>~Sheryl<P>Marriage: the most important contract you'll ever enter into, and the most sacred.<P><BR>

Joined: Jul 1999
Posts: 726
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Jul 1999
Posts: 726
Pilot's Wife,<P>Hi. I've seen your posts around alot, but I've never replied. But this subject is one that I've thought about alot, and it prompted me to say something.<P>I'm having exactly the same struggles as your husband. It's very hard for me to say that I know I'll spend the rest of my life together with her. I don't know if I really still love my wife enough to commit to that. My commitment is to stay and try my best to be a good husband. And I did promise that if I ever started feeling like I might be attracted to someone else that I would first tell her about it.<P>I think you should probably slack off from the demands that your husband make a promise. At this point, it might be a love-buster. I realize that it is a big need for you, but it might be doing more harm than good...<P>On the "vaughan-vaughan" website, they say that it can take up to TWO YEARS for a couple to actually realize that they want to stay together the rest of their life. How long has it been for you two? Perhaps you can muster up just a little bit more patience?<P>--andy

Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 1,194
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 1999
Posts: 1,194
Beth, <BR>I have read some of your posts, and quite frankly I am amazed that you have been able to endure what you have from your husband. After what your husband has done, including the photos, I think that he really needs to commit to you, and sincerely repent of his past actions. <P>Think about it, this man has openly flaunted his violation of your marriage vows, and now refuses to resolve not to do this again. I believe that any marriage can be saved, but the wholehearted commitment of both partners is required. With an explicit refusal to commit to the future of your relationship, I would question your husband's willingness to make your marriage a success. <P>If you are not presently in counseling of some kind, I would suggest that you begin as soon as possible. If your husband will not participate, then go alone. If you do not know who to use, I suggest you try the telephone counseling provided by this site. Be as nonconfrontational as possible, but as firm as needed in letting your husband know that a successful marriage will require his full cooperation. <P>May the Lord Bless you and Keep you.

Joined: Nov 1998
Posts: 1,035
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Nov 1998
Posts: 1,035
Beth - I am in amazed agreement with the responses to your post. I can only add that vows and promises are only as good as the will to back them up. When all of us got married, we and our spouses promised to be faithful and where did that land many of us? From what I've read on this forum, it sounds like those of us who were betrayed took these vows seriously and our betrayer spouses didn't (or at least, not seriously enough). I've put a lot of thought into why some people don't seem to be able to do this and I still can't understand it. I'm sure all of us have broken more minor promises than we care to remember (know I have). But marriage vows ARE sacred and morally binding.<P>Anyway, I also find a lot of hope for you in the fact that your H is at least being honest about not making those promises right now. And agree with Sheryl that maybe you should work on finding some that are, well, maybe a little less absolute. I know from reading your other posts, that you're working extremely hard to heal your marriage in the face of great difficulties. You also have a lot of great ideas for how to do this, including some really good ones for putting the romance back in marriage. Maybe you should start with this first (sounds like you are) and when you've really got that H of yours "hooked on romance," THEN maybe spring the heavy promise stuff! Regards and blessings,<P>--Wex

Joined: Aug 1999
Posts: 456
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Aug 1999
Posts: 456
Thanks for responding guys. I really do appreciate your points of view, all four of you. I know what you are saying and will try to act accordingly. <BR>More later, not much time now.<BR>Thanks again.<P>Beth


Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 472 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0