Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
Also,

Do not let her see OM. Cut off her cell phone, turn off the internet, and cut up all joint credit cards if you have to. Since she is only 1/5 of the family, open up a new bank account and move 80% of the funds. Do not enable her. Keeping quiet and allowing her to walk all over you is just enabling her.

Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story
E
E
tlc,

This is my opinion of your situation. Many years ago the relationship your wife had with OM was broken off by the OM. It is obvious that this was a big hit to your wifes ego at the time. Her rekindled relation ship with OM can right the wrong that happened to her so many years ago. It is my experience that many people want what they think they cant have. This is simply one of her cant haves. She is not aware that this is what is driving her and you wont be able to convince her of the fact. This is about her it has nothing to do with you. I think I saw in a post further down the thread that you have children. This puts you in the position of having a much stronger link to your wife than OM and your wife will eventually see that. All of her systems are on overload trying to rationalize what she is doing. That is why she appears so confused, she is. Listen to the experts here. You will get great advise. Good luck.

G
G
Post deleted by 22devastated

Marriages don't fail, people do. (And I don't recall who said it)
T
Tlcinmn Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Update: She is back! She decided to do what she herself knows is the right thing and is consistent with her faith, her values and her commitment. She wants to be true to herself and what she knows is right. She is willing to do counselling and go no contact. We are seeing a MC at 4:00 pm today.

She had been trying to tell the OM this but his emotional pleas and meltdowns confuse her and make her change her mind. This OM is 1) causing her emotional pain and confusion and asking her to compromise her values and be someone she does not want to be (a homewrecker).

Our problem right now is enforcing the no contact. She had the kids watch her delete all the old emails and remove his phone numbers from her cell. She WILL be getting a more appropriate accountability partner than our kids. Our counsellor and our kids are going to make her write a clear, blunt "Do not contact me. We are done" letter. A restraining order is not out of the question from there.

Exposure: my kids know, her family knows, the one member of his family I could contact knows. His wife is out of town or she would know too.

Need so many prayers. This is hard but is going to be worse before it gets better.

A
A
sorry for your pain ... i think the more you read about exposure here ... look at the article websites ... the more you will realize the necessity ...

edit from your update: read up on withdrawal ... it is rocky road but definately doable ... also don't think she is immune from seeing him again just due to her faith ... i hope that does indeed strengthen her, but no guarantees as people have free will

Last edited by Ashes2Beauty2Ash; 08/13/07 03:11 PM.
M
M
I feel your pain tlc, I'm going thru the very same situation right now....I was told by one of my wife's friends that the OM was the "love of her life". And, that she "settled for second" when she married me. How insulting is that?!!

God bless you and watch over you!! during this difficult time.

BTW, don't be afraid to see your doctor for anti-depressants if you need them.

M
M
Exposure: my kids know, her family knows, the one member of his family I could contact knows. His wife is out of town or she would know too.

It will be real important that you tell his wife, tlc. She must know about the affair. Having 2 people watching on each end will decrease the risk of a resumption.

Dr. Harley suggests that the WS write a letter ending all contact with the OM. You should approve and it should be mailed by you to both the OM and his wife. A good sample letter is Surviving an Affair:

Dr. Harleys (From SAA)

(OP), I want you to know that out of respect and love for my wife and children, I have come to realize that I must never see or talk with you again. My relationship with you was a cruel indulgence that (BS) did not deserve. While I cannot completely repay (BS) for the pain I have caused her, I will do my best to become the husband she�s been missing. I care a great deal for my family and I would not want to do anything to risk their happiness. I will not make any further contact with you and I do not want you to make any contact with me. Please respect my desire to end our relationship.
Sincerely,
(WS)

Here is what it will take for your marriage to recover from this affair:

Rules of Protection: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5065_qa.html

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
great job on exposure.

You still have to make certain his wife knows when she gets back in town.

It may SEEM like you are winning this...but be careful...very careful.

Withdrawal is a *itch.

What happens around here often is the WS tries to go NC but can't. When they inevitable break NC the endorphins kick in to such an extreme that they THINK that their destiny is to be with OM. They mistake the longing and pain of withdrawal and the thrill/relief of resumed contact for something more than what it is and they jump back into the affair hook, line and sinker. The "soulmate" (or as I call it the "assoulmate") delusion really kicks in on resumed contact.

Read up on withdrawal...you've really got to be supportive and watchful here. She MAY be well intentioned but she's an addict that just set the crackpipe down yesterday. She needs support...YOUR support and watchful eye to get through this. I KNOW it's painful supporting a WS get over their illicit adulterous affair but you must. It will take her time...much time to process that it wasn't love and that she didn't just give up her soulmate. It's hurtful to you but please have patience.

I suggest buying the audio book His Needs/Her Needs by Dr. Harley (available on this site). It's better to listen to it together and discuss than to read it separately. Another idea is try to schedule alone time with your wife...like maybe a road trip...just the two of you to get away. Reality of home...and 3 kids is overwhelming to the WS during early recovery plus it gets her away where you can be with her and watch her 24/7 while you Plan A her.

Don't get overconfidant.

If you need a draft NC letter just ask...they are available on this website and someone will cut and paste an appropriate one. (edited - I see Melody Lane's got this covered)

Mr. Wondering

Last edited by MrWondering; 08/13/07 04:17 PM.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
M
M
She MAY be well intentioned but she's an addict that just set the crackpipe down yesterday.

MrW has it exactly right. Please be prepared for a resumption. I am not saying this to scare you, but just so you will prepared if it happens, as if often does. Just as MrW said, it is just like a crack head who just gave up the dope yesterday. Be prepared.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J
Now would be a good time for a vacation. Keep her occupied during withdrawal.

Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story
S
S
Notice how stong the pull of a good quick exposure can be?

Keeping the affair quiet is the absolute worst advice one can receive.

I really wish some of the new people who resist and hesitate to expose could have been as quick as you were.

T
Tlcinmn Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Another update:

EXPOSURE: OM's wife knows too. He told her. He is getting help. Not sure if his wife will be willing to get help.

MC yesterday was hard but good. She will keep going to MC.

I saw a Dr several days ago. He gave me something that has really helped me maintain composure, think more clearly and relax at night to sleep.

Next steps:
- write the No Contact letter. She is ready now to do this and do it together.
- more MC, ups/downs, hard times, personal change
- read up on "withdrawl"

I have to say that this experience has also been a lesson on the power of prayer. There have been literally 100's of people praying for us during this time. I and my kids have honestly felt the presence of God holding us through this excruciatingly painful time.

G
G
This is wonderful news, a lot of work ahead, but great beginning. Prayer is a force to be reckoned with for the enemy.

It would be great if we had an appointed hour of prayer
here on the site, and those who need prayer for certain issues could request it.

We could all pray quietly at home at the same hour, we
would be one heart and one voice praying for each other.
It would be awesome!!

We have wonderful, bible scholars and spiritual leaders on this site, perhaps one of them could start it up??

Marriages don't fail, people do. (And I don't recall who said it)
M
M
Another update:

EXPOSURE: OM's wife knows too. He told her. He is getting help. Not sure if his wife will be willing to get help.

Did you get this news from the OMW's VERY LIPS? Because if you didn't, it is probably A LIE. If this news came from OM, a known liar and cheater, via your wife, it is unlikely to be true. A wayward is not likely to bust himself unless forced.

If he did tell her anything, it is likely a very SPUN VERSION.

Please call her up YOURSELF WITHOUT WARNING and review the facts with her. Make an alliance with her so you can keep tabs and watch from both ends.

It is really, really important that she know the truth, and you cannot leave that mission to a known liar and cheater whose best interest is served by LYING to his wife.

Verify everything, tlc! TALK IS MEANINGLESS COMING FROM A WAYWARD!

Exposure 101

P
P
I can honestly say I can feel your pain. It's the worst.What your going through right now you don't really have control of.Your wife is in her own little world right now and your not part of it.All you can do is sit back and listen to her and let her know your there even if all of a sudden to her you don't matter anymore.You still love her? But my friend you will never be the same with her.All this pain your feeling you will never forget.Unfortunatly you have to make a new world for you eventhough that's not what you want right now.You have to take care of yourself all your worring isn't going to change her but it may make you sick.I'm sorry to be so abrupt and don't mean to sound so insensitive.I just know what your going through and the hurt....sorry

P
P
Originally Posted by petals1703
I can honestly say I can feel your pain. It's the worst.What your going through right now you don't really have control of.Your wife is in her own little world right now and your not part of it.All you can do is sit back and listen to her and let her know your there even if all of a sudden to her you don't matter anymore.You still love her? But my friend you will never be the same with her.All this pain your feeling you will never forget.Unfortunatly you have to make a new world for you eventhough that's not what you want right now.You have to take care of yourself all your worring isn't going to change her but it may make you sick.I'm sorry to be so abrupt and don't mean to sound so insensitive.I just know what your going through and the hurt....sorry

Ummmm Petals,

You realize the original poster has not posted for 4 months, right?

What made you pick out this old post from August?

L
L
ummm Pepper?
Thats August of TWO YEARS AGO....not 4 months...but 2 years and 4 months.

weird...???

P
P
Yeah, my goof.

makes one skeptical

O
O
****edit****

Last edited by Dufresne; 12/19/09 10:39 PM.

Me - 45
Her - 47
Married - 23 yrs
4 chillun: D18,D14,S12,D9
Separated since March, 2010
Divorce proceeding

Z
Z
Yes, you must start massive exposure to end the affair. Even if you decide you do not want to reconcile, you want this guy out of your kids' lives.

I was determined to bust up the relationship despite being fairly certain that I was a one strike and your out guy.

I was amazed at how effective exposure was and how pissed off my XW was about it.

Last edited by Zelmo; 12/20/09 12:43 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 462 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation