Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1927898 08/16/07 09:23 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Yes people know about the affair, nearly all my family, all my friends, only his close family, and all his friends, and the OW's family as well. In the forum I see exposure come up all the time but I haven't seen anywhere on this site where exposure is such a big deal?? Where can I read about exposure and why it is needed?

BS (Me) 27 WH 26 M 03/2005 D-Day 06/20/2007 2 DS: 2.5 years and 1 year old Plan A 8/04/2007 Plan B 10/06/2007 NC 10/12/2007 On the road to recovery 11/06/2007
N
N
You can buy Dr Harleys books which outline exposures role...in the meantime here is the cliffnotes version.

Affairs exist in fantasy...exposure brings that fantasy into collision with reality...and then reality generally wins.

In the fantasy everything is beautifull and right and everyone will get along fine and the children will be happy and we can all be friends and God smiles on us from above as we ride unicorns into the mists of avalon.

In reality your spouse is shattered and loses all respect for you and your children cry and go through all sorts of emotional trauma because of your selfishness and immaturity which manifests in some fun [and fun to explain] ways. In reality there are STILL bills and a spouse to deal with who did not conveniently cease to be relevant as instructed and people who tell you straight up that you should be ashamed of yourself and that your new "love" is repulsive and childish.

It causes the affair to start COSTING you and to stop working as an escapist drug.

You can lose your job, children, home, family, friends, extended family, financial freedom..and so on.

All of the problems that you were using the affair to escape are now brought INTO the affair.

Exposure is the nuclear warhead of affair busting.

Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once ~Shakespeare
W
W
Waking,

You may want to get a copy of Surviving an Affair. Exposure is a powerful tool intended to end the affair.

Part of the allure of an affair is it's secrecy. Those involved in an affair don't really see it as it really is. Once it is exposed, they are often forced to take a closer look at what they are doing.

If your WH is still involved in an affair, then all of those folks you exposed to should be putting pressure on him to end the affair and establish no contact.

Who

I am the BW,
He is the FWH
D-Day: 12/02/03

Recovered
WhoMe #1927901 08/16/07 10:37 AM
W
OP Offline
W
I understand thanks. I purchased Surving An Affair and it should be arriving today. Hm, I told everyone about the affair because I was hurt...I almost told his boss...lol. But I thought that would be cruel...This was before I knew anything about MB.

Maybe that's why he choose me instead of the lover because of the pressure....especially from his mom....his mom is dealing with the same thing...her husband been having a 7 year affair where he goes back and forth. She has now gotten to the point where so doesnt care anymore (but I dont think that's true, she's probably just numb.)

BS (Me) 27 WH 26 M 03/2005 D-Day 06/20/2007 2 DS: 2.5 years and 1 year old Plan A 8/04/2007 Plan B 10/06/2007 NC 10/12/2007 On the road to recovery 11/06/2007
L
L
Waking:

Send your MIL here.

See if that won't shake up FIL.

7 years? Got me beat...

LG

S
S
WB,

I have my copy of "Surviving an Affair" right next to me and I've read it many times...."exposure" isn't in it. It talks about how affairs "need secrecy to survive" and how WS achieve that secrecy, but Harley never mentions "exposure" directly. Logic says that if affairs need secrecy....then destroying secrecy (thus exposing the affair) would hasten it's demise....but that "leap" is not made in the book. He never talks about exposure as a tool or a strategy in that particular book. There is nothing about exposure in his other books either. All attempts I've made to find one single written source in books, interviews or articles where he talked about exposure at all.....has turned up nothing. (It's possible he's written about it somewhere....but it isn't easy to find) There is nothing about exposure on the homesite. If you put the word "exposure" into the search function for the mains site....you get no results. There is nothing about exposure in any of the descriptions of Plan A that he's written. Why? I don't know....it's weird.

He does apparently talk about exposure on his radio show. According to more than one person I know who listens to him....he is very vocal about it. So as far as I know, that's the only place I can honestly tell you to get it straight from the Dr. Harley.

W
OP Offline
W
Thank you star*fish, maybe i'll purchase a radio archive package one of these days.

S
S
Wakingbeauty10,

Here's what was posted to me by a very respected person here;

Another suggestion I make to a couple struggling to restore their marriage after one of them had an affair is to make the affair public. Everyone should know what happened -- children, relatives, friends, and especially the children and spouse of the lover -- so that the affair is exposed to the light of day. What often makes affairs appealing is that it is done in secret. Most affairs become very unappealing once everyone knows about it.

So whether an affair is a one night stand, or has been going on for years, the basic rule for ending them are the same -- extraordinary precautions to guarantee permanent separation. But I will admit that the precautions used for long-term affairs are usually more extraordinary than those used for short-term affairs. I've helped many spouses overcome affairs that have lasted over ten years, but none of them have been easy.

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley

Hope this helps in some way.

All Blessings,
Jerry

M
M
I would point out that the IDEA of exposure comes from Harleys, ie: counseling, radio shows, the private forum section of Marriage Builders, etc. [Dr. Harley does have posts about exposure on the MB Weekend Forum]

Coincidentally, this topic was discussed on the radio today on what is cited as a "NEW BROADCAST" on the main page. Dr. Harley told a caller to expose the affair "wide and far" as a means of killing it. If you click on TODAYS radio show http://marriagebuilders.com/ca/to.cgi?l=ft-radio-stream Dr. you can hear it. I think this might be a rerun but it shows up as "NEW BROADCAST" from the MAIN PAGE.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

W
OP Offline
W
Thank you, I will listen to the link tonight.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860
71,843 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation