Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Basically here's the situation:

due to things I could not forget and see her the same for, I got a divorce last year. Don't want to get into all the huge details because it would take forever and basically in the end it was a mutual agreement and didn't end nasty.

The divorce was final last September and I started dating again in late November. She started dating mere weeks after we separated that April.

Anyway I come to find out that only after 8 months of dating this guy he proposed to her and they are getting married at the end of the week in Hawaii. I truly think that's messed up especially after she said all she wanted to do was live the single life and not get married for a long time.

I rarely stay in touch with her since I know it's not healthy to keep talking to your ex when you're trying to separate from the emotion and new lifestyle, but we do talk every couple months just to say hello.

I know she's no longer my responsibility and she has changed her ways a lot. Doesn't listen to the same kind of music anymore, her tastes for alcohol have grown to liking regular beer drinking (which she really hated when we were together) and I just don't really feel like I know her anymore. The old her that I knew is definitely gone.

I don't even know this other guy she's getting married to, but I feel she's making the wrong decision to get married so fast. Heck, her parents and family is still upset that she didn't try harder with me and they don't support her getting married at all to this new guy, whom which I hear never makes an effort to talk or become part of the family. In fact none of them will be attending her wedding. Weird, huh? I am still in touch with her family and they always enjoy my conversations and talking. They know I did what I could, but marriage is a two person job, am I right? I wanted to try, but she didn't want to make the effort, and it was her that cheated on me. Well I'm stronger these days for it and I do have a wonderful girlfriend of 7 months right now and that's going nice. Will be a long time before I ever consider walking down the aisle again. No rush for it in the near future at all. I'm just trying to take it all in and enjoy life better.

I plan to call her (the ex) this week to touch base and I really feel I should say something, but not to steer her away, but to just express thoughts in hopes that she has thought it through a lot. We were together 5 years before we ever got married and I just don't think they know each other well enough to just go for it.

Do I just stay out of it because she's a big girl and can make her own decisions, or should I say just a little something and get the shoulda woulda coulda thought out of my head that I could have saved her from making a bad decision of which I have no idea if she's making a bad decision having not even met the guy.

Oh well... Maybe I'll get some responses. Anyon eelse been in a similar situation like this? I just can't believe not even a year later from the official finalization of the divorce she will be getting married. Maybe some move on more easily than others.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Me - 26, W - 26 Know each other: 7 years Married: 1.5 years Children: None
P
P
Don't say a word, she's not your responsibility anymore.

Let her failure be spectacular.

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
W
W
say, congratulations and that's it. . .

are you a control freak or just a person that knows how to run other people's lives for them better than they can?

wiftty

Learning from your own mistakes creates experience, learning from books creates knowledge, combining the two together creates wisdom => You start with a full bag of luck, and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
C
C
Say nothing or simply say congratulations and wish her the best of luck.

Nothing more is needed.

M
M
i'm sure it is uncomfortable for you, but you have moved on as you said you are dating. so what if she is getting married? 8 months could be more than long enough to decide if you want to marry someone.

she could be very happy and they could be married forever or she could be rebounding and this won't work.

but it is her life. stay out of it. worry about you.
you were together 5 years before you married and it didn't work. who is to say that being together only 8 months before marriage will or won't work. it has NOTHING to do in my opinion with how long you have been together before marriage.

mlhb

God first, family second, and all else will fall into place.

B
B
Be a mature adult and stop living in the past. No more contact with the ex or her family. Don't torture yourself. Get on with your own life. Let the past go. Is that enough cliches for you?

Me: 48 XW: 44 DD: 15
Lived Together: 7 Married: 18 Total: 25 years
W announced divorce 11-3-2006, I moved out 11-7-2006, served papers 11-8-2006. Divorce final 12-19-2006. Life gets better every day.
R
R
If you don't have children with her, you don't have anything to say beyond "best wishes".

Regards,
rs0522

P
P
I'm hoping my stbx will want to get remarried so we can get this divorce over with.

It's gonna cost her new husband a coupla grand to buy her from me.

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
K
K
Well, my XW got remarried a month after our D, to a man other than the two she cheated on me with. Our D beginning to end was 5 months...

After my hurt cleared up... I said to myself "you know what, she is his problem now, not mine" Sometimes I say to myself I hope she falls down in the gutter and chokes on her own vomit, but most times, I really couldn't care less what happens to her.

Better yet, let me quote a line out of Garth Brooks, Friends in Low Places...

And I saw the surprise
And the fear in his eyes
When I took his glass of champagne
And I toasted you
Said, honey, we may be through
But you'll never hear me complain

"Integrity is not a conditional word. It doesn't blow in the wind or change with the weather. It is your inner image of yourself, and if you look in there and see a man who won't cheat, then you know he never will." - John Macdonald
A
A
When mine got remarried to the OM, it hit me pretty hard. I guess I had not realized just how much I still loved her and deep down inside I wanted her back. But, that ended any foolish notions I had.

She is out of your life, you have no kids to tie you together, so get on with it.

Why should you care what she does?

Living well is the best revenge.

S
S
Im praying my ExW gets remarried...........so she can drop my last name.

B
B
They all said it better than me.

T
T
I know this was posted a few weeks ago, but I can't help myself.

I would send her husband to be your attorney's business card. And write in the back : JUST IN CASE

Ok, in all seriousness, just leave it be and move on.

The opposite of love isn't hate...it's indifference
J
J
The only thing I'd add is that the XS is usually the LAST person one will listen to. My XH got tangled up with a bad news woman (internet gold-digger, IMO) - and other than giving him my 2 cents when he started paying her rent instead of his bills when they first took up together - and I only said something then because his not paying his bills put my credit in the dumper (he had not removed me from his credit accounts - I fixed it with certified letters etc...)... but after that I just kept my mouth shut.

She's an adult - you think it's a mistake, and it likely is but she's going to have to get along on her own. You aren't responsible for her, and you aren't in control of her (anymore).

Besides - if her family has reservations about it - that's *their* place to say something, not yours.

Living well is the best revenge - take care of you, and let the chips fall where they may.

JinGA

F/40, DD15 DS13 M 1989 DDay his EA May 1998. S Aug 2004. D Dec 05. I filed. 4/07 Post-D Plan A with 180, with hopes of R. 6/23/07 XH said no to R. 8/24/07 Went on a date with someone new, "B". 1/22/08 Still seeing B, life is good! Learning and growing each day. Ask me about Geocaching!
J
J
Amen about the last name thing, mine asked her mother if I thought I would get upset if she kept my last name I said I am more upset that she is totaly destroying my world and takeing way everything I held dear, who gives a crap about a name. A non committed woman by anyother name will still get the 7 yr itch.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation