Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Buck5 #1948890 10/04/07 09:41 AM
N
N
This thread has been very helpful to me. You are right Ark, love is not always enough. I'd never thought of it that way.

MVG - I have never directly told H that my heart isn't fully here. But I'm certain he feels it. Actually I'm not sure that my heart isn't here. I do love H, I do love my kids. It's just a "different" love with H, I guess. My H has really tried his best since my EA to step up and be the man I always knew/wanted him to be. I really admire him for that and am grateful for that. On the other hand, I really struggle with resentment towards myself. Resentment for not seeing just how bad my M was. I mean I knew it was bad, I did try to talk to him about it for years - but it always fell on deaf ears. Either that or he would "try" for a week or two and then back to the same old, same old. The EA has for sure been a wakeup call for him - though that was never the intention for it to start in the first place. I also resent myself for doing something that I'd always dispised. I never in a million years thought I would find myself in an EA. I KNOW what it feels like to be the BS.

But as it stands right now my H and I are in a much better place right now than we were before. He is a much nicer person to be M to now than he was before. I just wish that I could FORCE my heart to fully be here right now. I feel like it's split in two right now. The desire to stay M, do the right thing, keep my family intact - but also the thoughts of OM. It's almost like my eyes have been open to the feeling of real love and I don't know how to shut them again.

MB folks, thanks for not shooting me down for being a WS and speaking my true feelings. Again, my apologies for offending any BS out there.

S
S
Buck, Callie:

I've read through this entire thread & one thing that screams out at me is the fact that you both are not practicing Radical Honesty. Look here, I'm going to quote both of you:

Buck -
I want to fall in love with my wife. But this is really getting in the way. I haven't shared much of it with her.

Callie -
I have never directly told H that my heart isn't fully here. But I'm certain he feels it.

How do you expect to have the intimacy w/your spouses if you are not radically honest w/them? Radical honesty means telling them the truth no matter what. You are still "sparing your spouse's feelings" like you did in the A in order not to "hurt them", especially b/c they're "working hard" on the M.

Now for the purpose of this thread, Buck I'm going to address you b/c you're the one that started this thread. So...

Some quotes from you --
It was so bad for so long, that I am having a hard time believing it.

I want to stop looking back and second guessing my decision.

But, like you, the problem is this took the form of a friendship.

Okay, first quote -- I think you're still stuck in the mindset of "it's never going to get any better". With all of your W's efforts, has this mindset changed at all? Do you have more hope than you did?

Second quote -- Living in "what if" mode will always have you looking bleak at your current situation. I think you're having trouble staying in the "here & now".

Third quote -- Why isn't your W your best friend? She should be. I suspect if she becomes your best friend, a lot of these issues will disappear. As I described above, Radical Honesty, which I suspect you had w/the OW, will have that happen. You are the one who is not allowing your W to become your best friend.

I also suspect that perhaps your W isn't meeting your needs in your love language. For more information about that, go to: Gary Chapman's Love Languages . This, coupled w/Dr. Harley's basic concepts are what boosted my H & I's M to overdrive in just a short time. We actively worked both doctor's concepts. It's 4 years later & he IS my best friend. He IS my confidante. We MISS each other when we're not here together. We do everything together. And we WANT to! I know this is the place where you want to be. I can feel that coming from the pages. Now how do you get there?

I would say the first thing would be to admit to your W that your heart isn't 100% in it right now. And before you stop me saying, Yeah, I'm giving 100%!, think about it. As long as you still have those "feelings" for OW & not for your W, you are NOT giving 100%. You are only giving 50%. 50% to W, 50% to OW.

My W and I on the other hand, both tend to withdraw. We both thrive on someone else's initiation. But even then, maybe not. Sometimes my W would reject even apologetic advances. Our personality combination can work, it just takes a lot more work.

I would say learning how to communicate w/each other w/o going into caves is a top priority as well. There are lots of communication exercises that can be tried in order to accomplish this.

Like you, my H had doubts that this M would last when he moved back home. In his mind, he was giving it 2 years like Harley recommended. If he wasn’t “in love” by then, he was out of here. Boy, wasn’t he surprised by working the Harley concepts & showing love through my specific love language & me showing him through his, we’ve reached the kind of M we both wanted from the beginning. We’ve never had this kind of M. So it surprised us both actually. We are each other’s best friends. We go to each other first instead of to others. We’ve learned how to communicate w/one another. We’ve learned that the D word is NOT an option. Taking the D word completely out of the equation forces us to work through whatever problems we face. And w/the tools we have now, we work through those problems, no matter how big they are. The tools are there, Buck. All you have to do is use them & you’ll have the M you want & the OW will be a distant memory.

RBW (me) FWH lostboyz
Married for 16 years
DDay on 10/10/03
Reconciliation on 2/8/04
Son 17, Twin son & daughter 16
4 years of a strong recovery
L
L
what also strikes me as I read some of these posts and trying to think of the A/EA as an addiction is that there not only needs to be a desire to do the right thing but a legitimate heart felt WANT to reconnect with S or disconnect with OP ... not just because one should

think of a smoker whoe tries numerous times to quit because they SHOULD (self lost count at about 20x) until finally one day that light bulb goes off/epiphany, whatever and 10 years later is the biggest advocate for non-smoking (us converts are the worst kind of non-smokers!)

resolving yourself to a life of misery and martyrdom solely for the reason of having done the right thing in and of itself strikes me as not only sad but I would suspect leaves one vulnerable to future A/EA

at this point I don't know if I'm being helpful or merely spewing psycho-babble (which I'm clearly not qualified to do!) but hope you can find that WANT inside yourself

what has also worked for me so far is thinking on OW and not all the great things tha I loved but think of those minor annoyances ... you know the ones we all ignore at the beginning of a relationship only to find years later how truly irritating they are ... another "shine off the halo" tactic that's helped me so far

Buck5 #1948893 10/04/07 01:49 PM
D
D
WHO: I believe the OW probably misses me a great deal. She was deeply in love and wanted to be married. I walked with her through a lot changes. Got her out of the sexual lifestyle she hated that her husband had co erced her into, [I got her out of the fire and into the frying pan so to speak], moved her into her first apartment, helped her enter college again to finish her degree etc. Oh, and most surprisingly, got her back into her faith!!!

This explains much. She sounds very needy. To us "rescuer" types, it's a huge ego boost to save people.

There's a lot of talk about personality types, but you have to judge people by their actions. I'm not seeing much to admire.

I'm sure you'll disagree now, but I honestly think that if you'd stayed with this OW, some other man would be rescuing her from you before too long.

Me - BS DDay 1 (Multiple affairs while overseas) - Feb 2003 DDay 2 (AdultFriendFinder Profile) - April 2007 Seeing a counselor. I think we have him stumped.
A
A
what also strikes me as I read some of these posts and trying to think of the A/EA as an addiction is that there not only needs to be a desire to do the right thing but a legitimate heart felt WANT to reconnect with S or disconnect with OP ... not just because one should

One should be interested in soley stopping the terroristic behavior...of an affair...

period...

whatever that is...

affairs take away a BS right to make informed decisions about their life...

takes away their sovereignty
a horrible postition to WILLFULLY place another humanbeing in...

WS and OP have NO right to do such a thing...

even marriagebuilders itself is NOT about saving marriages at any cost...

it's about acting decent and doing the best effort one can...

no matter the role in the mess...

intense feelings are a proven addiction..there are core recordable clinical studies on the release of endorphines...

that does not make affairs an addiction only issue..but it does play a role....

our brains are wired...

people who enter in to affairs become insidious liars who up till that point may very well have been the most honest people to walk the earth...

but the brain wants to survive....
and move away from pain....

so suddenly infidels become almost proffessional liars...
to protect and preserve.....

their brains now become wired to
think of lies excuse
think how to lie
how to cover tracks...

the longer the affair...the more second nature to the brain to do so....

till lying becomes them...

you can't deny the anatomy of an affair and what it takes to thrive which ALWAYS unless blatant in your face actions...

the ability to compartmentalize...

this has nothing to do with my spouse
this is not directed to my spouse
this is not hurting my spouse
etc etc etc

WS often disconnect from their BS to facilitate the affair...and over a period of time their brain and thought processes buy in to it....

the ability to WANT to reconnect is disconnected by the WS by the actions of the affair....
replacing all good feelings and sparks with the OP disconnecting any and all in self preservation from the BS..

what one should do
what one must do

is stop the abuse....

ARK

B
Buck5 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
but thanks for the time.

This thread has been IMMENSELY helpful in clarifying my thoughts and feelings regarding my M and my W. Immensely. Simply having a safe place to reflect and work through this stuff is great. It has given me a wonderful perspective on the impossibility of the A and strengthened my desire to make my M work. My W commented this morning how amazing everything is starting to feel. I have the desire to make her feel this way.This is exactly what I needed. I am ready to let the OP go.

The gentle firmness and reflectiveness led me to this. It made a lot of hard truths 'hearable', because one could receive and reflect without having to defend. But now the voices are sounding more strident and presumptious to motives and situation. The price of putting your life on a message board, I know. But personally, this has not been helpful. There is an old saying: The more strongly you assert, the more you convince others they're right.

Something to think about.

Thanks for what you've done.

L
L
Good to hear!

Stay strong!

N
N
Thanks for the valuable input and information on this thread. After 2.5 years of missing OM, it is helping put things into perspective for me too. I never really thought of or realized that maybe love isn't enough to make a M or R work. (thanks ark). I am going to read and re-read this thread and hopefully it will continue to sink in.

I guess so far from my perspective I've kept as much info about my feelings for OM and WHY I feel/felt about the OM from my H. He's never really asked and I never wanted to divulge hurtful information about my true feelings for OM. I just didn't want to hurt him further. I think I will do some more reading of this thread and talk to him about it this weekend. I've been in pretty much complete turmoil since my EA 2.5 years ago - I hope I can start to see the light after such a long, dark journey. Thank you for your help.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 514 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation