Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
So the question is........How do I quit my job and support my family?

The problem is: My kids need their mom. They've asked me not to work weekends and holidays. They often miss the bus because I"m not there to make sure they get up. (Yeah, they're teens and SHOULD get up.......but sometimes they don't). And I feel like I"m not doing a good job of parenting because I"m always working. Since I work in the nursing home industry, weekends and holidays aren't optional. I also drive 17 miles each way, which can be really hazardous in winter and sometimes I end up having to stay overnight there.

So, the solution is: Find a different job; which I'm having no luck at all with, or work for myself, which is really scary.

I really don't make all that much money. I take home $1340 a month and spend $240 of it on gas. If I could figure out a way to make that much or more from home, it would be fantastic! I don't have any retirement plan or insurance, so I wouldn't lose those anyway.

So, anyone have some ideas or suggestions for me? I already have a part time sewing business and sell a little on etsy and ebay and make costumes for people.......I turned down several sewing jobs this last month because I just didn't have time between work and the kids and making my own presents; but I know there's potential for business out there. It's just scary to move out on my own. I'm thinking of waiting to quit till after my house sale goes throught because then I'll have a small cushion in the bank. (Maybe $10,000 after I pay off bills and buy a car that gets better mpg.)

What'ya think?

S
S
How old are your kids? Because I think you should have a family meeting stating that you all need to pull together and find a way for them to help you out with a plan on how to make sure that they are awake and ready for school and to catch the bus in the morinig.

As for you job is there a way for you to go in later (cut your hours) and maybe picked up a paper job early in the morning,
I had a paper route as an extra income for over 4 yrs and I was making up to 300 a week with over 300 customers the down side to this was the wear and tear on my car and the late papers.

Edit to Add

Not sure what you so but the in thing right now is altered clothing which is taking clothing and making it your own fashion statement.

http://www.voo-doo-cafe.com/cgi-bin/itsmy/go.exe?page=5&domain=1&webdir=voodoocafe

http://nikkishell.typepad.com/wardroberefashion/2007/04/altered_clothin.html

http://www.getcrafty.com/pictures.php

Last edited by swan's song; 12/17/07 10:35 PM.
J
J
Just my 2c as a new single mom: get that cushion and go for it! I hope to, too. If it succeeds, you'll be doing something you like better, and even if it doesn't, you'll have a chance to spend more time with your children, who in a few short years will be out of the house! Don't lose out.(teens are actually pretty needy for attention and direction, though they won't admit it!)

To get ahead financially, it's worth an educated risk... in my town, you can get a business license for as little as $50/year, but be careful of zoning laws (some towns don't like people working from their homes). There are some legit work at home options: Medical Transcription (see careerstep.com), also: http://www.womansday.com/money/12019/your-money.html
and
http://www.wahm.com/forum/default.asp?C=8

Good luck!!
J

C
C
Find your nearest Chamber of Commerce and visit them. Tell them what you're planning to do, and see what they can do to help you. They can get you in contact with people, help you advertise, even supply people to help train you in running your own business.

Also contact your local United Way. They do tons of stuff people don't know about, such as helping you with your finances, training, and getting you contacts.

Also try <a href="guru.com" target="_blank">Guru</a>, which I use for side jobs in writing. They have a fashion part, too. You search for jobs people are looking to hire someone for, and if you fit, you bid on it and may get hired. I've made lots of money through guru, from people all over the world. It might be a little harder with sewing, but if they're posting jobs (I just looked and saw things like someone wanting a prom dress and someone else wanting children's clothing), they're willing to hire people off the web.

Basically, just look outside the box. You can do it!

N
N
I'm going to make some assumptions here:
Given your paycheck, it's likely not a highly skilled job in a nursing home.
With an aging population, the number of at home companions needed is growing. Imagine making the same money or more by being a home companion to a senior, or a respite care worker for a family with special needs. Your hours would likely not change significantly, but you could find something closer to home. And, as a companion, you might find the time to work on your sewing projects while there.
Many seniors just need company during the day, and someone to talk to or make their meals.
This could be an option if you are so experienced, and since you are not losing insurance, what's the downside.

I know there are liveins where I reside near a major metropolitan area, who typically go home on the weekends. Sometimes, people just need someone to care for their elderly parent while they are at work.

Good Luck Anna.

It was a marriage that never really started.
H: Conflict Avoider, NPD No communication skills (Confirmed by MC) Me: Enabler
Sep'd 12/01, D'd 08/03.
My joys and the light of my life: DD 11, DD 9
*Approach life and situations from the point of love - not from fear.*
M
M
oh man...how I would love to quit my job and just sell things on etsy...

I hope you figure out a way to do it. If you do, go for it!

T
T
There is legitimate work from home employment out there as well. Be careful because it's hard to cut through the noise and get to the real stuff. Forget anything you see in classified ads or if it requires money up front.

There are a few exceptions to that rule. For example, LiveOps requires you to pay $30 to cover the cost of a background check and is completely legit.

The point is that there are some things out there. Perhaps search through WAHM forums (work at home mom).

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks everybody! I actually do have a business license. When I was married to my first husband I worked from home and made about $800 a month as a "hobby". I had much younger kids then. NOw they are 12, 14, and 16.......and they do seem to need even more attention then they used to!

As to what I do in the nursing home: I"m the day cook; so I make meals for 200 people every day, including special diets. My degree is in food and nutrition; but I"m not a dietician. I"ve looked into going back to school to become one; but it's not really feasable from where I live. I"m not much of a caregiver; so I don't think home care would be a great option for me.

As far as sewing, what I do is make medieval re-enactment garb, quilts, wearable art clothing, purses, and a few other odds and ends. I also have an embroidery machine and do monograms and special designs. THe other thing I can do is cook.......I"ve done medieval style feasts for 150 and catered smaller dinners, altho I"m not actually licensed to do that. I"m also a good teacher; and I've had people ask me to give them sewing lessons; so that might be an option.

C
C
You're not in Texas, are you? I know someone here who makes medieval costumes! Hello...friend? (hee)

You have a degree? Why didn't you say so? Shoot, just start looking, there are probably tons of jobs in nutrition, cooking, etc., that pay more than you're making. And tons of ways to make money. Do some web searching on home jobs in nutrition, cooking, and sewing.

Wow, you've got tons of skills. Let me think about it...

First, what is the biggest city you live near?

S
S
anna there is a trio of women who are self-taught seamtress who opened a busness in San Fransisco called Stich Lounge a sewing studio where you can rent time on a machine or take sewing classes I really think this is a cool idea, they also have two books out SEW SUBVERSIVE and sUBVERSIVE SEAMSTER, also since you cook also as a loving you might want to go the Paula Dean route and cook for other busy people prepared foods have a set menu or something along those lines.

http://www.stitchlounge.com/site/

G
G
Making clothing doesn’t pay well, nor do alterations. The per/hour rate is miserable unless you are really, really fast. However, you can do that at home.

HOWEVER…. What could pay is teaching sewing, draping, authentic garb, etc to others.
Gather up some old machines, set up some tables in your basement and your in business. I personally will ship you all the fabric I’ve bought on the misguided belief that there were 32 hours in a day, and 39 days in a month.

Another at home idea… Get your food-handler’s license and start small catering service for the elderly/special diet needs. You may need to invest in a used deep freeze and a food saver machine. Anyway, you make the meals up, freeze them and drop them off monthly or weekly or even daily. You should charge an arm and a leg. For an example what this looks like carried to the end, look at 5 Star Home Foods.

Or get the license and teach cooking small time.

Both of these ideas you can start after hours. Get it up and running and then quit your job.

Also, I’d have a family meeting with the kids. Spread out the budget and explain that you all need to have a better family income. The only way to do that is to have a plan. I’ll bet they come up with some great ways they can help. Including getting on the bus themselves. Or if one of them likes the garment making or cooking, he or she could help out there. Dave Ramsey, a financial peace guru, says “Sacrifice to WIN!” I know my girls have sacrificed in order for us to win as a family. They did it in age appropriate ways. They rake because we can’t afford a lawn service, etc.

Good luck. And I’m serious about the fabric. Seeing it makes me feel guilty.

Divorced.
2 Girls
Remarried 10/11/08
Widowed 11/5/08
Remarrying 12/17/15
A
OP Offline
A
Cat, no I'm not in Texas, I'm in Iowa. And there's my problem: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. I live in a town of 4500, and the town I work in 17 miles away is 4500. The closest bigger town is 35 miles, that's about 35,000 people. As for jobs in my field, I make the top pay in my area. ON the other hand.......expenses are low. My house payment is $375, groceries run me $300 a month. This is a really rural area; average FAMILY income in my county is $30,000 a year.

I've thought about moving for better opportunities, but I just don't see any way that would be good for the kids. I would have 2 very sulky, angry high schoolers if I moved (and isn't life stressfull enough?)

So, the way I see it, if I'm going to stay here and make money, I need to sell things to people farther away, like on ebay and etsy and my own site; as there's no money right here.

Green, you are right about sewing and alterations not paying. So, what kind of fabrics do you have? I work primarily with natural fibers, like linen, wool, silk, and quilting cottons. I'd be happy to pay for shipping if you have stuff I can use!!!

3rd marriage to an awesome wonderful man since 2008.

3 children from first marriage, ages 16, 18, 20
C
C
Ok, here's a project for you. Spend 30 minutes every night googling other people who do what you want to do. Print out the entire list if you can, or at least cut and paste into Word, and then work your way down the list. Go to every site, and write down comments about what you do and don't like about each one - as a potential customer. By the time you're through, you should have a good handle on what you should do to start your own business.

Then, google ways to advertise on line. Research all of those, write your comments, and by the time you get done, you'll know which ways are going to be most effective and most cost-effective for you.

Then, google ways to work with people to help you market. See if you have local artists who can design a logo ('symbol') for your company; maybe an art student or have a contest at a school, and pay for the best one. Pay someone else money to give you a professional moniker - someone who knows typefaces and stuff like that. Get them to give it to you in .tif, .jpg, etc. format so that as your business grows, you'll be able to keep using the same, familiar lettering, etc. (think Coca Cola or Nike).

Then visit your local Chamber of Commerce, tell them you're starting a business, and let them help you. Bring all your supplies.

If you need money, prepare a business plan, and bring that to the Chamber, too. So they can help you shop for a loan. But you'll have to have the business plan to get a loan (you can google templates for that, too).

Finally, sit your teens down and ask them to join you in this business, and invest in their talents, whatever they are, to help you. Sewing, art, marketing, local promotions, phone calls, etc. Work out a payment schedule for tasks, so they start earning money for their work.

All in all, it should take about 3-6 months, if you do it right. And you do want to do it right, or it can fall apart from bad planning or putting out a bad name for yourself. Above all, you have to look professional. My husband was 'president' for an international company and shhhh - there were only 3 people in the company. But no one on the outside looking in (via Internet) knew that. The trick is to look as professional as you can.

PS, I'm going to look into that person I know who does the costuming; I think she's got a pretty good online business. I'll get back with you.

C
C
anna,

I understand why you're reluctant to leave the area. But you might consider moving to a more central location in your current area. Your kids are going approaching the age when they can get jobs, which is a great thing. It will an important learning experience for them (in numerous ways), and they will be able to take responsibility for some of their own expenses, which will help you out a little.

But here's the thing, that only works if what they make is more than what it costs to get them to work and back. And I'm thinking of several elements of cost here: gas, car maintenance, possibly an additional car, possibly your time ferrying them around. But if you re-locate to a more central location in your community, where the jobs for teens are more accessible, that expense will go down considerably -- making the easier for them to get the job in the first place.

Just a thought.

S
S
Another thing is prom dresses and alterations but make sure you check out your zoning laws because where I live it's pretty strick..... and with cooking out of your house, I know of one case where a woman was doing this and the town made her stop because of health codes, so she was at a loss of what to do unitl the the local fire dept lent her their kitchen until she found a local kitchen that she rented time from.

R
R
Boxed dinners are popular in my community. Many working people, including working mothers do not have time to cook but they appreciate home cooked dinners. So they order boxed dinners - usually 5 days a week, and they pay for a month in advance. There's no menu to choose from, so there's a lot of flexibility for you. The dinners are delivered to their homes or apartments every night.

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks, cat! Lots of great ideas. Actually, I'm already a member of the Chamber, I did have a pretty decent little business going until I got divorced 6 years ago and got a job with a regular paycheck; mostly because at that point my self confidence was so shot I could barely handle talking to people, let alone my business. I'd love to know more about your costuming friend!

Curious, as soon as my house sells I'll be moving into town, which will be alot easier. My son already works at the grocery store, and my daughter babysits.

Swan, I don't have to worry much about zoning here, as long as I don't have a circus on the front lawn, i'm ok. I actually belong to a segment of the Chamber specifically for Cottage Industries and we advertise together, hold special events, etc. I just haven't been very active for the last 6 years. However, the health inspectors are very strict, and it is impossible for me to cook out of my own kitchen; except for the pies and baked goods I sell at farmer's market in summer. (Did I mention I usually have a big garden and sell produce and baked goods June-October?)

3rd marriage to an awesome wonderful man since 2008.

3 children from first marriage, ages 16, 18, 20
G
G

I usually like natural, but have found some awesome synthetics or blends. Usually in the $8/yrd range.

I like to touch the fabric, and if it doesn't feel right, I don't buy it. Which is probably why the last time I made myself a skirt, materials cost close to $70. (Keep in mind I'm in the mid-Atlantic states where prices are HIGH)

I'm also wondering if there isn't something you could do via the web.

I understand about living in a rural community. I'm in Amish country. So I imagine it 10 times more rural than here, minus the buggy traffic.

The problem with cooking in a rural community is they do it themselves. Farmer's wives don't do take out, at least not around here.

HOwever, I'm thinking if you have a speciality, that could ship well... There's a marketing angle here. You know how "Made in Vermont" has everyone gagga? I think you could work that angle. That and maybe through in nutrious.

Or you could invent a could of seasoning mixes to throw in with the beans when canning. Use something exotic that others can't guess, like dandilion greens. Then, sell it to everyone who does home freezing or canning.

N
N
I have a silly idea about sewing. I know you are not in a large area, but here's an idea.
Girl scouts can earn a Sewing badge, but typically need someone to teach them. If you volunteer to teach the requirements for a badge, you could also advertise the sewing classes that you offer, or dressmaking skills, or alteration skills to the moms who pick up their kids.

Around here, seamstresses charge $1-2 to sew on Girl Scout badge and patches. Mom's are just happy they don't have to do it.

A coworker bought a piece of land to throw those recreation fairs you mentioned. Can you set up a sewing machine at those fairs and get business? I understand that would require a lot of travel.

It was a marriage that never really started.
H: Conflict Avoider, NPD No communication skills (Confirmed by MC) Me: Enabler
Sep'd 12/01, D'd 08/03.
My joys and the light of my life: DD 11, DD 9
*Approach life and situations from the point of love - not from fear.*

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation