Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
ark, the PBL would include a general overview, and then the specific TACTICS, such as counseling, etc., are negotiated, discussed in reconciliation talks.

I would put it like this: STOP DRINKING and commit to a program of recovery. That gives the general path and the specific tactics can be discussed in the future.

For example, she could specify that he attend 90 meetings in 90 days and commit to regular attendance at AA. Perhaps she could recommend sobering up in a treatment facility, in addition. But, those are the kind of details that are normally left to reconciliation talks.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
Julie2U Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Bank: done.
Kids: with H

Dinner now, Home Depot next...

LIFE IS GOOD
N
N
ML and Ark

Sorry to threadjack. I have to agree with ML

Over a year ago I presented similar choices to my actively alcoholic ww. The choices I gave her were to give up OM, and seek an alcohol recovery program. The third option was D. We were on the merry go round for several years. Until you put your feet down and stop the merry go round the alcoholic will continue to push.

She did not make a choice so I started preparing for D right in front of her. She would make promises like she did in the past to get help. EX-I reserved a bed at treatment center X for such and such a date. Id call tc X-the intake person did not know her. This went over two months. All the while she said she was going to AA and hiding her drinking. I just kept on slowly preparing how to split things, calling on realtors to sell the house, making appointments with lawyers. I would try to consult her for what she wanted. THIS WAS ALL BS that she believed and eventually did make the call for alcohol treatment. I believe she gave up OM just before going to treatment because I couldn't believe the amount she drank.. She now has just over a year of sobriety.
In our situation the alcohol was the elephant in the room. NO other marital problems were solvable until recovery from the addiction began. It is still extremely hard now.

In Julies situation this also is the point-stand tough-In your face Quit drinking/using-

The solution-Leave up to the addict-Treatment/90 in 90/ just quit-Leave that control to be negotiated later if and when it happens.

An alcoholic needs to see very clearly the results of their choices and what they have to lose before it sinks in.
Just my opinion

Chris

DRY DATE 8/1/86
FWS 1986/87
Bs 2004-9/2006?

Last edited by nesre; 01/09/08 06:43 PM.

M 29 yrs
DS 28 DD 18
Me 53 FWH FBS
MTA signed 5/11/2011
D final 5/16/2011

Free.... and going wherever the big guy wants me to go......
A
A
actually the truth is that melody and I agree...there really isn't anything to disagree about with me..

my only point which your posts makes MY point..
is that you have to set the boundary more then no drinking

and specify a program that must be completed before reconcilliation in the home...that's HER boundary...only not her job or responsibility to do anything about it

the original PBL ONLY states quit drinking...

so guess what if I was her WS I'd call tomorrow and say

I QUIT DRINKING....just like your letter said....

and then they can spend gobs and gobs of time and energy powerstruggling the issue of no drinking vs true addiction recovery...

never ever ever ever ever ever ever did I say or imply she should ever ever ever ever ever take him back without months of sobriety....

a point that in my opinion was sorely lacking in her PBL...
but hey it's just my opinion.....

my point....specify beyond no drinking....cause he'll be on her doorstep tomorrow stating I'm not drinking...

ARK^^

J
Julie2U Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Here it is, I'm printing...no more time for editing:

Dear H,

It is with a heavy heart that I write you this letter. I am saddened by what has become of us - our friendship, our partnership, our marriage. This letter is written to you as a necessity. I'll explain:

The 11 yrs we spent together were filled with countless hugs, kisses, tears, winks and laughs. I have loved you every minute of every day we spent together.

I know I haven't been a perfect wife. I realize that my inattentiveness and my obsessive tendencies drove a wedge into our relationship. I'm sorry. Please know I never wanted to hurt you or push you away. The pain of your drinking and destructive behavior during our marriage has been unimaginable. Continued contact with you has the potential to destroy my love for you and I don't want that to happen.

It is because of this that I must insist we no longer contact each other until you are ready to stop drinking completely and commit to a program of recovery. Please respect this decision. In case of an emergency, or any necessary financial or kid-related or personal property matters, please contact your sister and she will contact me. Once you are ready to stop drinking completely and commit to a recovery program, please contact me, and I will be willing to discuss restoring our family and our marriage.

I’m including our visitation schedule - you are a good father and I want you to continue to see the kids. I think you'll agree it’s not fair to disrupt their lives any more than necessary to accommodate the adults’ problems and that they should be home on school nights. You can have your sister check with me if you need to make any adjustments. It is only in their best interest that you keep all alcohol, drugs, and other relationships you may be taking part in away from them as well. As for our financial obligations, my expectation is that you will continue to contribute.

**Edited to change names

I am committed to a clean, sober, peaceful marriage with you. I believe we can build a relationship that is stronger and more fulfilling than we have ever experienced. As of today, I walk forward in life for myself and my kids, and I want you to walk with us. I love you.

Last edited by JulieW; 01/09/08 08:07 PM.

LIFE IS GOOD
M
M
good letter. Batten the hatches!!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
Julie2U Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am, as we speak. Um, hmmm...hey, can you UNstrip a screw? The deadbolt isn't biting & in trying to take it off & do-over, I stripped the screw. So the front door is now with-deadbolt, but deadbolt is ineffective. Ornamental. Unless I can UN-strip the screw...or somehow get it out. Crap! Ruining my empowerment trip was NOT part of the plan!!

LIFE IS GOOD
M
M
ugh! This is why I never attempt stuff like this myself! Try superglue!

Exposure 101

J
Julie2U Offline OP
OP Offline
J
LOL...that is sheer madness! Nope, it's just going to be an ornament. OH well...chicks & tools = no go.

LIFE IS GOOD
J
Julie2U Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I DID remember to secure the basement cellar door though. He's broken in thru that one before. And I remember this summer we got locked out of the house & H didn't attempt to break the handle, he climbed in thru DD's upstairs bedroom window. So, I should be good.

LIFE IS GOOD
M
M
good girl!

Exposure 101

D
D
Good Luck, Julie!!!

Sounds like you'll have to get new screws for the deadbolt if they are the ones I'm thinking of. They should have those at Lowe's sold separately for times like these. I can't imagine why they wouldn't!

Sending positive vibes your way!!!!

Take care,

Charlotte

Charlotte22

BS-42
WH-Mr. Gray-52
M-15.5y
DS*DIL-26, DGS-1
DS*DIL-22
DD-21
Dday: 6/27/07 (Plan A-sort of)
10/30-BRAVE NEW WORLD! Exposure!
11/1-Filed D
11/21-Temp hearing, Shiny takes all
12/15-Plan B
5/13/08-Spousal support extended, my Shiny
Attorney totally ROCKS!!
7/17-Court again, Shiny rules!
7/22-OWH temp hearing, Shiny kicks butt again!
12/11-Mediation; Gray won't budge, we are now headed for trial

Shiny="A Dynamic Force of Epic Proportions"

Shiny WILL win!! No doubt, Sugah!
J
Julie2U Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I can get new screws but the ones in the deadbolt affixed to the door ain't budgin'. And now I'm having issues with the back door. Stupid old house, and me wanting to be independent! I may still call a locksmith.

Plan B has begun - H took letter from my hand. My phone just ding-donged, I imagine that's him (text).

Am I not to read it? Just delete w/o reading?

LIFE IS GOOD
J
Julie2U Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Nope, it was from his sister, stating he wants to switch weekends with the kids.

LIFE IS GOOD
M
M
So he is using your intermediary?

Exposure 101

J
Julie2U Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes. Less than an hour after receiving PBL!

LIFE IS GOOD
M
M
GOOD!! He has read the letter.

Exposure 101

J
Julie2U Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yep! Um, is it usually this "easy"? Are they usually this "compliant"? It could be temporary I know. Thing is I've got plans next weekend w/them so I don't wanna switch!

And if he does decide to start texting me, I can't read them? Obviously I won't respond.

LIFE IS GOOD
M
M
Right, just don't read his texts.

Exposure 101

N
N
Julie

Way to go. I'm pull'in for ya.

Its early yet and it could be this just does not sink in with H. It may take several days until it gets through.

Stay strong and use your intermediary.

My prayers are with you, your H and your children

Chris

M 29 yrs
DS 28 DD 18
Me 53 FWH FBS
MTA signed 5/11/2011
D final 5/16/2011

Free.... and going wherever the big guy wants me to go......
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 280 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation