Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
ML,

You know I always treasure your opinion, when I’m ready for Plan D (and Plan B), should I move out of my house or should both of us stay because she won’t go. If I go that route, I’ll consult SH first.

She would leave if there was a court order, though. Or if you moved to another city.

Why not consult with Steve NOW and bring him up to speed? See what he suggests at this point in time.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J
ML,

I respect your opinion very much, but plan A then plan B is not the only route to ending an affair and recovering your marriage. It is probably the best plan for working in most situations. That being said, I don't think that this is "most situations." I find that his WW is one of those "path of least resistance" WSs, and if he files for D, then he will be divorced and probably not even get a very favorable settlement. It's all about what's more important to him - having a loving relationship with another woman, or keeping his family intact with his kids. If he keeps his family intact there is always the chance that he can rebuild his marriage later. It's all about what he is willing to do, not what we would be willing to put up with. Mike is stuck between a rock and a hard place, and it's up to him on how to deal with it. I'm sure if it weren't for his children he would already have been divorced. Sometimes there is nothing you can do, and you have to pick between the lesser of two evils. That being said, he needs to put in place consequences for when his WW breaks NC, like causing trouble for OM and exposing to her family.

Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story
M
M
ML, Finding a job that pays as well is almost impossible. I had too many years invested in my job and will give up too much to move. Not impossible but... I know we'll be in DV court fighting custody of the kids if I find another job and tried to move with my kids.

Keep in mind that recovery is also IMPOSSIBLE under the current conditions. Impossible. As you can see, the draw of the OM is irresistable to your wife.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
ML, Finding a job that pays as well is almost impossible. I had too many years invested in my job and will give up too much to move. Not impossible but... I know we'll be in DV court fighting custody of the kids if I find another job and tried to move with my kids.

Just an observation, but you seem to have an excuse to justify "DOING NOTHING" for just about every possible scenario.

Honest question ... WHY ARE YOU HERE??? ... aren't you just wasting everyone's time by seeking advice that you fully intend to IGNORE???

M
M
ML,

I respect your opinion very much, but plan A then plan B is not the only route to ending an affair and recovering your marriage. It is probably the best plan for working in most situations. That being said, I don't think that this is "most situations." I find that his WW is one of those "path of least resistance" WSs, and if he files for D, then he will be divorced and probably not even get a very favorable settlement. It's all about what's more important to him - having a loving relationship with another woman, or keeping his family intact with his kids. If he keeps his family intact there is always the chance that he can rebuild his marriage later. It's all about what he is willing to do, not what we would be willing to put up with. Mike is stuck between a rock and a hard place, and it's up to him on how to deal with it. I'm sure if it weren't for his children he would already have been divorced. Sometimes there is nothing you can do, and you have to pick between the lesser of two evils. That being said, he needs to put in place consequences for when his WW breaks NC, like causing trouble for OM and exposing to her family.

Jim, I disagree. Doing the same thing over and over again and living in a perpetual Plan A is NOT working. We can see that with our own eyes. HE does not have a marriage and won't have one until something changes here. If I were him, I would call SH and get a game plan before he grows to hate his wife or even worse, suffers emotional or physical symptoms.

Exposure 101

M
M

Just an observation, but you seem to have an excuse to justify "DOING NOTHING" for just about every possible scenario.

Honest question ... WHY ARE YOU HERE??? ... aren't you just wasting everyone's time by seeking advice that you fully intend to IGNORE???

Mike, I sympathize with you a little, but MR is right. This is why I stopped posting to you 2 years ago when you first came here. You ignored all our advice then just as you are ignoring our advice NOW. You will only listen to any advice that advocates the STATUS QUO. Please note you are in the same position today you were then and nothing has changed.

I wish you the best..

Exposure 101

M
M
This is why I stopped posting to you 2 years ago when you first came here. You ignored all our advice then just as you are ignoring our advice NOW.

This has been going on for TWO years???

~ Marsh

M
M
Guess I should have read his sig line.

Duh.

~ Marsh

M
miketc Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Star, where did you come up with trial separation because my lawyers said there is no such thing? There is no-fault divorce on ground that the couples lived separately, in different house for at least 18 months. Check out Mark’s link on page two. Even if there is, one of us will be moving out, the likelihood is the husband because the kids are use to having the mom in the home and my WW is primary care giver.

ML, I wish it was that easy to get a court order to get WW out of the house. Believe me, I would file a long time ago. My lawyers told me unless there are grounds such as children are in danger or drug abuse, there’ll be slim to none for the court to issue such an order. The only way for me to Plan B is to do Plan D first then move out with Plan B.

MR, I may not be doing what the board wants right now while I give MC one last chance. I’m here to seek advice and gearing up for Plan D when I finally get there, so doing nothing is not what I’m about. I just don’t move as quickly as some of you want but I’ll be there.

MikeTC BH-Me(46) WW-41 DD(10)DS(8) 1st Separation 9/13/06 (2wks) D-Day 9/28/06 2nd Separation 12/25/06 to 4/30/07 Plan B- 1/5/07 - 4/30/07 when she wants to come back home (false recovery) Latest contacts w/ OP - 7/13/07, 8/9/07, 8/14/07, 12/20/07, 2/6/08 & 2/7/08 and who knows 1/25/08 to present - Plan A when possible My story
M
M
MR, I may not be doing what the board wants right now while I give MC one last chance. I’m here to seek advice and gearing up for Plan D when I finally get there, so doing nothing is not what I’m about. I just don’t move as quickly as some of you want but I’ll be there.

WOW ... more empty justifications ... JUST HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN LYING TO YOURSELF???

I'm outta here ... you can now return to your preprogrammed delusions!!!

M
miketc Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I did Plan A, Plan B then Plan A and I'm still here. So what have or should I have done diffently that could change my situation. I'm not saying I wouldn't go Plan D but just not right now until all options are exhusted.

MikeTC BH-Me(46) WW-41 DD(10)DS(8) 1st Separation 9/13/06 (2wks) D-Day 9/28/06 2nd Separation 12/25/06 to 4/30/07 Plan B- 1/5/07 - 4/30/07 when she wants to come back home (false recovery) Latest contacts w/ OP - 7/13/07, 8/9/07, 8/14/07, 12/20/07, 2/6/08 & 2/7/08 and who knows 1/25/08 to present - Plan A when possible My story
M
M
MR, I may not be doing what the board wants right now while I give MC one last chance. .

Mike, here is what you said on 04/27/06 09:56 AM and you are still in the same place, except worse, IMO:

"Updates:

W agreed to MC with no promise from her and will start next Wednesday. She has ask me to give her space and not smother her with love notes, flowers etc."

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/sho...part=2&vc=1

Exposure 101

M
M
What options do you have left?

MC?

The only reason she has agreed to go is if you promise not to interfere w/ her A.

~ Marsh

M
M
I did Plan A, Plan B then Plan A and I'm still here. So what have or should I have done diffently that could change my situation. I'm not saying I wouldn't go Plan D but just not right now until all options are exhusted.

What other options do you see for yourself, Mike?

Exposure 101

M
miketc Offline OP
OP Offline
M
ML, this time is a little different because she asked for MC not me. She has also told me that the OP was furious and crying for her to let him go and do something about her life; she said she does not want to do this anymore; not to him, to me, to herself and to the family. It was more honest, that's all.

M
miketc Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I know its gut wrenching to watch from the sideline but it is hard decision for me since I have to live with the consequences if I go thru with DV without giving this my last shoot.

Thank you all.

Last edited by miketc; 02/14/08 11:23 AM.

M
M
She made a deal w/ you.

You don't talk to OM (interfer w/ her A) and she'll go to MC w/ you (string you along).

~ Marsh

S
S
Star, where did you come up with trial separation because my lawyers said there is no such thing? There is no-fault divorce on ground that the couples lived separately, in different house for at least 18 months. Check out Mark’s link on page two.

Sorry, I meant "legal" separation....but it's not really that either. It's a bit antiquated....but the law in New Jersey is interesting. Evidently in New Jersey there is a legal proceeding similar to a legal separation called "divorce from bed and board". Here:

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/new_jersey/new_jersey_separation_agreements

also: The grounds for legal separation (or a divorce from bed and board) are the same as for divorce. One of the spouses must be a resident of New Jersey for at least 1 year prior to filing for legal separation or when the cause for legal separation is adultery and took place in New Jersey, 1 of the spouses must have been a resident (no time limit). [New Jersey Statutes Annotated; Title 2A, Chapter 34-2].

Even if there is, one of us will be moving out, the likelihood is the husband because the kids are use to having the mom in the home and my WW is primary care giver.

Well....again....this isn't absolute either, especially since mom has been involved an adulterous relationship.

Why would you want to file for a "no fault" divorce anyway? New Jersey allows "fault"....and adultery is one of them.

J
J
What do you want the guy to do? He said that he has talked to SH, and he recommends Mike's course of action. My WW broke NC many times, but they became less frequent until they finally ended. She eventually atarted working on the M again. If he files for divorce, his WW probably goes through with it, and he gets his kid one night a week and every other weekend. Plan A/Plan B isn't always a magic bullet. He understands that his situation is not ideal for following Dr. Harley's plan. Divorce laws in some states are stacked against the man. If he goes to plan B, he could gamble and lose everything. He just needs to be better about making consequences for her breaking her NC agreement. He's just frustrated and looking for somethings he can do in plan A because he's not going to plan B. Instead of beating him up for his course of action, either help him or don't respond to him at all.

By the way, his situation is much different than it was two years ago. OM wants nothing to do with his WW, and she only makes contact once every 6 weeks now which is much better than fooling around with him every day. She is just clinging on to the last threads now. Pretty soon, she'll give up on OM like he has given up on her. Is it the ideal path? No, but he doesn't have many better choices IF HIS GOAL IS TO BE ABLE TO SEE HIS CHILDREN EVERY DAY.

Jim

BS - 32 (me)
FWW - 33
Married 8/31/03
No kids (but 3 cats)
D-Days - 8/25/06 (EA), 11/3/06 (PA)
NC agreed to - 11/8/06
NC broken - 11/28/06, 12/16/06, 1/18/07, 1/26/07, 1/27/07
Status - In Recovery
Jim's Story
M
M
Mike,

Since New Jersey does allow for No Fault divorce after 18 months separation, that might not be your best option, but NJ also allows for divorce due to cause and one of those causes is adultery.

Check with your lawyer, preferably someone who deals with dad's rights, and see if there isn't a way to file on grounds of adultery and seek an order for her to be removed from the family home.

Of course this would mean that YOU would have to become the primary care giver for the kids, but this is what you should have done at the beginning of Plan A in order to prevent your wife's attitude from having negative effects on the kids.

You have to do something to break the tie here man...If she can continue to get her occasional fix of OM in order to keep her fantasy alive and have nothing negative come from it at all because you are "in Plan A", she will never make up her mind...NEVER...Even if she eventually stops seeking out OM, the fantasy stays alive and even if you never get divorced, you will never truly recover.

I'm not saying she needs to be punished, but nothing bad has happened yet because of her actions. In fact, she now has a husband who is falling all over himself to make her happy as well as a fantasy on the side that keeps her motor revved up...She has no problem at all. You need to help her have a problem! Until you do, this cycle can't end. You have to change something or expect this to continue forever.

And BTW, once she knows she can get away with an affair, she will not take long to start another one if OM really dumps her...unless she has an epiphany...Just can't physically slap them up-side-o-the-head...But she needs some kind of head slap...

What does the MC say to all of this?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation