Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2025681 02/22/08 10:13 AM
L
luvnit Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Having so few posts, I thought I should introduce myself. My nickname is Scooter, I'm 53 years old, and my wife is 52. We've been together since we were freshmen in high school, and have been married 35 years. We have 3 children, grown and on their own. We have one grandson, how awesome that has been. I can quick draw my wallet to show you pictures of him like a world champion.

Our marriage is strong and always has been. However, we went through a difficult adjustment in recent years, especially for me, having to do with my lack of domestic support of her. She was right about it, I was in the wrong.

I got my reality check/wake up call with some difficulty. For awhile, I resisted, I'm a third generation "the woman does all of the domestic chores" type. I should say "was". I'm still stinging and ashamed of my lack of support now that I'm on the other side of it and can look back.

I'm actually pleased and proud of the changes I've made, and so is she (we went over our EN questionnaires last night). Doing things right pays dividends. I now enjoy doing little extras that please her.

To me, the one irrefutable proof of God's love toward me was providing me with my wife, and I appreciate her more than ever. I will make her glad in the remaining time we have together.

Having been so pleased with the results of making the change in myself, I started looking for marriage oriented websites to see if I could find some ideas on how to achieve an even better relationship. I finally ended up here. Thank you God.

Now that I've read the articles on this site I realize that this old dog really could stand to learn some new tricks, and it has become very obvious that they're right here for the taking.

I've recently started reading some of the threads from start to current, specifically LA_sunshinegirl's and Amazin's. I got pretty misty for an old dog. I am blessed, impressed, and inspired. And I'm sure there is more to come. Best wishes to all.

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. John 15:5
P
P
Welcome to MB! Wow, you guys married young. 35 years is a long time... congratulations. Yes, MB is a wonderful place, where even people married as long as you have been can still learn... even if it's to make a strong marriage even stronger.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
T
Tyk Offline
T
Good job finding this place BEFORE a major catastrophe struck your marriage. Wish I had done the same!

Welcome to MB!

Tyk #2025684 02/22/08 12:06 PM
N
N

Welcome....nice introduction....

Are you looking for advice on how to meet her EN's, even if she is pleased with what you have done so far???

Share some more of your story....we love hearing success stories....

not2fun

L
luvnit Offline OP
OP Offline
L
princessmeggy and Tyk,

Thank you for the welcome and congratulations. Ya, we married young. After being with her for just over 2 months I can specifically and vividly remember thinking "This is permanent." I was 15 years old at the time. I've never had any regret or reason to.

As far as finding the website...I'm glad I'm here, my wife and I are talking about "us" every chance we get, which lately has been often. I'm glad you're here too. I think they should put this "stuff" in the water.

not2fun,

Thank you for the welcome and compliment. EN's...I'm on top of the domestic support issue now, I'm not just compliant, I'm converted. I own it, I don't see me as helping her with her duties, I see me as contributing to ours. I can't imagine ever going back to my old ways, even though I know it's possible. This achievement and success has given me a sort of "runner's high" and I just want more.

Even when tensions were at their highest, my wife still proclaimed her love and commitment toward me and our relationship. She was patient enough to settle for small, incremental, progressive improvements over time while I fully got my head and heart around it. I love(d) her enough to change.

Consistent displays of high character are irresistable. My wife has that going for her. She has won me over many times in the course of our relationship. So when the MB principle of being the best that you can be, as a person, a spouse, and a parent are acted upon and present, in a manner that displays high character, I can vouch for its effectiveness. This is definitely the high ground. Happy people stand here.

Wanting advice...I'm still doing my best to absorb the tons of reading material on the site. Every article and thread offers advice and I am having a blast. The goal for tonight's conversation with my wife is to get more clarity about our questionnaire results. I may have something specific to ask in the near future.

In regard to the quote in your signature...I truly respect and admire the "fools" on this website.

S

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. John 15:5

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 510 guests, and 104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Comfortable Shoe, Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969
71,846 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation