Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
I'm sorry that some of you are so immature that you don't think of things like hiking to be recreation.
I go for a hour-long walk around the neighborhood every day after work. If it's too cold, I work out inside. When it gets warm out, I'll be taking regular hiking trips around the state. It's fun. It's exhilarating. Yadda yadda yadda. But it's NOT recreation, at least not in the same sense that gaming is. You get to a point in your day when your done working, done working out, done cooking, cleaning, and polishing the brass. At that point, unless you're just going to go to bed, you're looking for something fun to do that doesn't involve a lot of physical effort. That's were things like TV and video games come in. And they can't be replaced by more work or exercise. We're talking about two completely different categories of activity.

Just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt.
S
S
There are all kinds of potential extenuating circumstances that we just don't know.
I agree and we seem to have gotten a different perspective as to what is going on with his marriage. He does have another post that sheds more light on his situation.

The question is whether your spouse should have control over your recreation without providing any kind of alternative. It would be one thing if she was saying, "Honey, I'd really like it if you'd spent time with me." But she's not saying that. She's not engaging him in any alternative way, from what I'm seeing. She's just being controlling.

This would be one of the things we disagree on. I don’t think she is being controlling. I think she really has a fear that he is addicted to video games. We also don't know if she suggested things that he turned down.There is no way to tell for sure because we don’t have her side, just his.

She needs to know that you can't just take away something that fulfills a need and not replace it. If she wants him to stay away from video games, she needs to give him something worth staying away from them for. I don't know what that is, but it's not setting arbitrary rules and then never being around and not wanting to do anything when she is around.

I also disagree with this statement. It is not his wife’s responsibility to entertain her husband 24/7. He has stated that when they are together they do things. He is speaking about when he is alone. My take on this is he isn’t open to other forms of entertainment so even if she did suggest something else I don’t think he would be open for it. He wants to play video games period.

There is an old saying; people who are constantly bored are boring people. I think there is some truth to that. Put another way, if you are happy with who you are then you can have fun doing anything by yourself without anyone or anything to “entertain” you.

W (me) 44
H 43
Married 19 years
DS 17
DS 15
DD 13
DD 8
G
GBH Offline
G
What video games provide is a virtual sense of accomplishment. You get to meet a challenge, overcome it, and receive a reward. It's predictable in the sense that, if you can overcome the challenge, you know you will get the reward.

I was going to drop out of this thread, but I can't let this one go. Sense of accomplishment? Reward? The video games (1) waste time. The reward, getting to play the "next level" is (2) more wasted time. There is NOTHING tangiable to come from playing video games. NOTHING. They are an utter waste of time, and this guy's W knows it and wants him to do something more constructive and less addictive.

If you get a "sense of accomplishment" from playing video games, then you have not matured beyond high school (or even middle school) and you are not mature enough to be in a mature relationship.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,139 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation