Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 100 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 99 100
C
C
LOL!!

I think Roger Miller wrote that song. We used to have a hotel here in town called "The King Of the Road Inn" - I think Miller was a part owner.

whistle whistle whistle whistle !!!!!!!!!KING OF THE ROAD!!!!!!!! whistle whistle whistle whistle

I saw him perform in 'The Adventures of Tom Sawyer' years ago.

I usually take my prospective cars to the shop where I have my repair work done. It sets me back $35 or so but they seem to be pretty honest.

Contender #2 goes back tomorrow because the seat hurts my back. Contender #1 fit the price range but needed $800 in work - some of it soon.

Contender #3 gets looked over tomorrow. It's my daughter's boss's daughter's car. I picked it up at their doughnut shop tonight. He gave me a box of doughnuts to give the guys at the shop. His thinking was they might not charge me if they got free doughnuts. I still want them to tell me the truth - and not sugar coat it.

Last edited by cinderella; 04/10/08 11:28 PM. Reason: to add that hyperlink!!!
N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
The Queen of the Road here, lol! I'll have to show AJ that after he wakes up. It was hard work, but I stayed awake till after he fell asleep.

Rella, I hope you get just the right car for your needs. And where are my donuts?

So we're in Texas now. We're going to wind up almost to Rella, but a couple hours short, unfortunately. Better luck next time.

SS, I thought of you especially as I drove through your state, twice in the last week, but at the wrong end, unfortunately. And I still want to go to Florida.

This trip we are more southerly, and have only hit some rain and no snow at all! The last trip we had a very providential occurrence - a little over an hour from Omaha, AJ "happened" to see that one of our favorite companies had 2 little crates of military household goods, right there in Omaha, and delivering only 60 miles from where we were going anyway.

While we were stopped to pick up the crates, AJ found one of the trailer tires flat. (It was not Not NOT flat that morning - I checked it! No, I am not feeling defensive about it.) We were only a few miles from a repair shop, and were able to limp over there with no problem. Though tire repairs are never cheap, making it to the shop saved us several hundred dollars, plus it didn't blow out while driving, perhaps blowing out another tire or two in the process. It could have been so much worse, and the string of incidents that led to the discovery left us feeling very blessed.

On the truck, we now have this handy little thing called Pre-Pass. Basically what it does, is every time we come up to a weigh station, it communicates electronically with the scale house and decides if we have to come in, or if we get to keep on going. Mostly we get to drive right on by, honking and waving (not really) to all the poor drivers who have to drive through at 3 mph and take 5 minutes or more per scale, all because they don't have Pre-Pass like us.

So, for the first time in almost 5,000 miles, Nebraska had a scale that was not compatible, and all the trucks had to exit. When it was my turn, I pulled onto the scale and stopped, like I had seen the truck before me do. That in itself was pretty unusual, since most scales have you drive by slowly while they weigh you in motion. Well, I had to move a little farther forward to be on the scale the way they wanted. So I pulled up and stopped.

The red light turned green and I started to go. But as soon as I began to move, it flashed back to red again. Obediently, I stopped. The light stayed red. I waited to see what they would do. Finally the NHP officer came on the loudspeaker, annoyance in his voice. "Look, we're really busy in here. None of us has time to sit there with our finger on the green light."

Oh. blush Just so you don't think I'm a doofus, I must point out that, in all the other MANY scales I've been in, if they turn the light back to red, they expect you to stop immediately. Some may even have you back up. So it wasn't all my fault. Or any my fault. Everywhere else, a green light means go, and a red light means stop, not keep on going and don't worry cause we really aren't going to pull you over.

I'm starting to take micronaps while typing, not the best way to make lots of sense, so I will close with a brief reminder to myself to remember to tell tomorrow about the toilet that attacked me today.

Last edited by Neak; 04/12/08 10:40 AM.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
T
T
Well, Dearie, I've got good and bad news for you. Oddly enough, it's the same news. So which do you want first? Val couldn't sleep last night--Chester the Molester kept coming after her--even after the 1/4 Vicodin I gave her (and the Princess, who slept just fine) for uncontrollable coughing occurring in the sleeping bags right next to me!! (I don't know why people are getting colds now that it's spring!) At 11 or so, I gave her the Clay Aiken Christmas CD since it was the only one I could find and she got in the sleeping bags, put the headphones on and appeared to settle down. At 1AM she woke me up to say she couldn't sleep. I reminded her that she was safe, but said that I couldn't stay up all night with her because I had to be awake all day with Gramps and the kids. Wait, I'm repeating myself, aren't I? So this morning she called me in to see what she had done while she couldn't sleep--which means sometime between 1AM and 7AM. The good news is that your bathroom has never been so clean, not since it was first installed in the house. The bad news? Your metaphors may not be the only things you have now misplaced! I very carefully avoided any mention of "Six days shalt thou labor," and simply oommented on the [censored]-and spanness of it all, but we are SO going on a long walk this afternoon with all the children. Perhaps the combination of that, plus way too little sleep tonight, will be successful in driving the scary images out of her head long enough for her to fall asleep at a decent hour.

Well, sadly, the troops awake...all except for Mr. C and Gramps, and Mr. C's blissful slumber will be disrupted as soon as I hit "submit."

tl

P.S. The Dervish is spending the night coming up at Grandpa's house--my theory being that 2 Diva #1s with nothing much to do was more than enough for anyone already dealing with Mr. C and a day of schoolwork.

A
A
Queen of the Road!! I just love it smile true too!! lol

Maj I am glad you had a garage to go to, Aussie used to make me change them on the farm, said it was good for my character .... I suppose that as it saved him a few quid it had nothing to do with that smirk
Had to get the tyre off the truck or the tractor and make sure it didn't fall on me and then use these huge tyre hammers that had the thinner part inside a steel tube and bang it down on the beading to break the seal and then insert the levers and get the oring off and then lever the tyre off the rim. That was hard yakka. I just bet you LOVE putting on the chains crazy I want photos lol

Its very hard to look feminine covered in dirt, grease and cow poo. You stink a bit as well blush

I guess you got the sad news on Q from Mrs vdK. Its amped up her anxiety levels to beyond a normal high ....a Dolased to sleep was suggested, but she went to the studio instead so its at least healthier.

Don't know how you do the driving day after day, must be in the royal blood. I suppose a red stop light in Nebraska ..... well .... has a different meaning to the rest of the world. It doesn't actually mean stop.... it means stop..no go.. aww heck just push the pedal to the metal girl grin

Micronaps are perfectly ok..... I take them during meetings .. just ask my boss laugh

Now your Maj you KNOW that AJ did not drive the truck over that big nail ..... just not possible. Road gypsies did it. crazy
Which I am sure after some reconsideration you will agree with

T&L I'll send the Dolased to you... and the cleaning pads and spray. But seriously I will include the dear girl in my prayers that she will dream of happier things.
Be careful of the long walks too...... I'm sure they are not good for you..... especially as my little bloke here can out run me and out last me ........ and laugh at me while he does it
... I wonder how child services would view a rope tied to him

hugs to all

I think I may need some Mavala to stop Mrs vdK from biting her nails ........ wonder how do I stop the pacing? confused

AW

Life may feel as if you are constantly getting kicked on a daily basis, living is about picking yourself up each day and going on and on and on regardless.

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
SS, congratulations on your newest grandchild! To my recollection, while it is not common to break clavicles in transit, neither is it entirely uncommon. Mom could probably get you the stats, if she weren't so busy gluing her hair back on her head...not quite as fast as it is falling out in clumps.

AW, I suggest large magnetic boots, then set her on a metal floor. Works every time.

Still haven't forgotten the toilet, but cannot think about them right now, much less write stories about them.

We are in AR, stopped to go to the bathroom and take a shower, but a water pipe had busted and they had no water. I heard a man saying plaintively, "But I'm not trying to take your water - I'm trying to GIVE you water!"

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
C
C
Well, Neak, I have water.

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Oh man, I just read that when I needed to go to the bathroom again. Of course, that is most of the time.

We were so close to your house, too, only a few hours.

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
T
T
Your home phone says your cell phone won't accept calls from "this" number, so I can't call you. ET, please phone home.

tl

M
M
We were so close to your house, too, only a few hours.

Spoken in TRUCKESE..LOL..CLOSE = A FEW HOURS...

For me, CLOSE = DOWN THE STREET...

Last edited by mimi_here; 04/15/08 11:58 AM. Reason: Adding Southern "vernacular"

I made it happen..a joyful life..filled with peace, contentment, happiness and fabulocity.
S
S

Good Grief.........

How does one ever keep up with the happenings on this thread?
Oh, wait, you are GALS, you can probably do it.

Hi AW ! (ss waves) You are busy, and you seem to be able to keep track. I admire that. Keep it up.

CC, you are quiet again. We don't forget you though. (or you either neaksis.)

Neak, spring weather can be so different from year to year. Hot some years, and snowing others. I was in one of those spring storms a few years ago pulling a trailer. It is hard to believe how many people pull in front of you then slow down. I haven't run over any one yet, but I sure scared a few of them. Wishing for continued safe journeys.

T&L, does the clam help with the kids at all? I have been wondering how things are going in retirement. I know you were worried about that. Maybe I shouldn't ask here.

Cinderella, You could always do what my dad did. (speaking of cars.) I told him I wanted a car, or to drive his car sometimes, and he said "you can't drive my car, but you can get your own any time you can afford it. Save your money."

I saved my money and bought a motorcycle. It lasted me until I got married, but I admit it was a bit cold in the winter. Our county was rural then, and I didn't worry much about traffic. I think there was one traffic light in the whole county then. It's different now.

I keep expecting to hear you found the perfect car, and that the problem is settled. Still praying for you.

Neak Said -
Mom could probably get you the stats, if she weren't so busy gluing her hair back on her head...not quite as fast as it is falling out in clumps.

I was under the impression that she was cool as a cucumber, and that it never bothered her the lest bit. Hmmm, I'll have to think about it for a while, and maybe I can come up with a good way to tease her about it.

What is T&L's other daughter doing while YOU are on the road?

All of my children like Uncle Arthurs Bed Time stories, but one of my daughters seemed to like them the most. She wanted to hear them over and over. I have watched the used book stores for copies, and most of our children have one or two of the 5 volume set by now. However, we came across a complete set a few years ago in nearly perfect condition, and that daughter got the set for Christmas. Her oldest boy is nearly 2, and he was staying with us last evening. He went to the book shelf, got one of the volumes of our set, and brought it to me to read. He handed it to me, and climbed up in my lap. He isn't old enough to listen to the whole story, but he loves to look at the pictures, and comment on what the people are doing, or name the animals. It warms my heart to see another generation being raised with the same love for those wonderful volumes.

I admit I still enjoy them myself.

SS

I think sometimes about all the pain in the world. I hope we can ease that here, even if only a little bit.
C
C
SS, I found a car. Not perfect. Not beautiful. But, it's appropriate. Older than I wanted. More miles than I wanted. Cheap!!!! So, I can afford to not carry collision on it - just liability. That's a better plan than letting them learn in a more expensive car. It's almost lateral to what I had - it's a 98 Taurus.

Since you have to have so many hours of learner's permit driving time with a licensed driver, I needed a car that would protect us. And, after being rear-ended by a big SUV on the interstate (I stopped in traffic, he didn't), I wasn't getting anything little.

I have emailed my sister (my only sister - the one who hasn't spoken to me in over 2.5 yrs) and told her about mom really really wanting her car back. My sister copied me on an e-mail she sent to mom's psychiatrist. She also e-mailed me and asked me not to return mom's car yet. So, I will hold on to it a while longer. Mom doesn't need to ever drive again.

My ear is better. I can hear somewhat with it.....not as good as the right ear - but better.

I had been on 6 months probation following a promotion. I survived that and my supervisor recommended I be retained at that level. That was good.

Had a conversation w/ daughter tonight about how she has been so GRRRR after coming off her lexapro. It was really a good conversation. I'm gonna try to tolerate the adjustment. But she has been somewhat insufferable. However, that could be part of the individuation process.

Take son to tour our zoned high school tomorrow. Since the private school choices are not working for me.

So, on the whole, life is pretty good. Life is really sweet, if you just think about it.

Glad you are well - and all the children and grandchildren and your wife, too.

A
A
Hi all,
mimi good to hear from you

CC how are you going these days?

neaksis and T&L hows the home front?
Mikey is fed and is now playing with a beach ball with Mrs vdK while she sings to mtv and they poke each other and scream ...... loudly crazy
Now it's the Veronica's "This love" ......... I hope the neighbours are understanding ....... understand that under 25's make lots of noise by using boom boxes lol
cool

SS big congrats on a new addition to the grandkid team. Love them hug them feed them on red cordial and hand them back ... my mums motto ..lol

Rella glad you got that cheap car. My friend at work has twin boys and they got their learners permit and then their P plate licence after driving lessons and a test which means they need to do 25 hours driving with a non conditional driver. So her hubby takes the first one out to the big wide huge empty car park at the regional shopping centre on Sunday morning, about the second biggest in the Southern Hemisphere according to Westfield to give you an idea of the space and guess what the poor kid did?
Yep he hit the ONLY light tower in the whole carpark .. the rest run around the fence ... and did $2500 worth of damage.
Of course being Aussies we joked hubby should have installed a brake on the passenger side of the car .... he replied BRAKE!! I had my bleedin feet pushed into the bitumen just like Fred Flintstone!! laugh

well enough slacking off the dishes await cleaning, ironing next, have to toss a coin with Mrs vdK who does the work shirts... did I mention I hate ironing smirk

and of course before I go hey Maj hope you find the loo soon and get a nice hot shower. And a few hours away IS close in Australia for all of us not just truckies so I think you should detour to Rella's smile

hugs to all

AW

Life may feel as if you are constantly getting kicked on a daily basis, living is about picking yourself up each day and going on and on and on regardless.

C
C
AW, good the hear from you. You are right! They should have detoured. grin After all, I have real plumbing - including sinks.

S
S
SS, I found a car. Not perfect. Not beautiful. But, it's appropriate. Older than I wanted. More miles than I wanted.

You made me laugh. Every car I have ever owned has been older with more miles. I wonder if I'll ever own a new one, but it's not at the top of my list.

I do take vacations though. Sorry you have to spend vacation money on a car.

Glad your health is not declining at a fast rate - wish it was getting better more quickly.
AND CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING TENURE IN YOUR PROMOTION !!
You might yet get the glass up to 3/4 full.

I think I'll stay out of the sink discussion. It's got TROUBLE signs all over it from my POV.

SS

I think sometimes about all the pain in the world. I hope we can ease that here, even if only a little bit.
C
C
Lots of signs, SS,

T
T
I think I'll stay out of the sink discussion. It's got TROUBLE signs all over it from my POV.

I dunno, SS. You might get some interesting pointers from that uninhibited daughter of mine (from her father's side of the family, might I add!) and her multi-tasking plumbing. After all, those twins of yours won't be living at home forever! blush

tl

C
C
Alright ladies, it's that time of year once again!!! I think we need to be reminded of a few things. So my sisters, PLEASE, raise your big toes and repeat after me below...

The Open Toed Shoe Pledge
As a member of the Cute Girl Sisterhood, I pledge to follow the Rules when wearing sandals and other open-toe shoes:

I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps.

I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free.
I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe.

I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe.

I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there.

If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back into place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it.

I will not live in corn denial; rather I will lean on my good friend Dr. Scholl's if my feet need him.

I will resist the urge to buy jelly shoes at Payless for the low, low price of $4.99 even if my feet are small enough to fit into the kids' sizes. This is out of concern for my safety, and the safety of others. No one can walk properly when standing in a pool of sweat and I would hate to take someone down with me as I fall and break my ankle.

I will take my toe ring off toward the end of the day if my toes swell and begin to look like Vienna sausages.

I will be brutally honest with my girlfriend/sister/coworker when she asks me if her feet are too ugly to wear sandals. Someone has to tell her that her toes are as long as my fingers and no sandal makes creepy feet look good.

I will promise if I wear flip flops that I will ensure that they actually flip and flop, making the correct noise while walking and I will swear NOT to slide or drag my feet while wearing them.

I will promise to go to my local nail salon at least once per season and have a real pedicure (they are about $15 or 20 and worth EVERY penny).

I will promise to throw away any white/off-white sandals that show signs of wear... nothing is tackier than di rty white sandals.

T
T
Alrighty then, Neak, just how far does that cell phone dead space go anyway? I've been trying to call you guys all day without any success. You ARE still alive, aren't you? Nobody's come to the house to report an accident, at any rate, but if you're planning to be home tomorrow night, I want to know it.

The boys are with your dad again tonight. You might want to talk to your sister about that. They'll be back in the AM. I've got Mr. C's agenda for the rest of the year made out and he can finish with no problem at all. He and the Dervish are doing flash cards and getting better and faster all the time. I have vowed that by the time school starts next fall every kid in the family will know by heart and instantaneously, their addition, subtration, multiplication, and division tables...or somebody's going to DIE trying. Could be one of them, too. You never can tell. The Princess and I are settling down for the night. Neaksis made over $13 today for her 25c/pop seedlings she's been selling in your driveway. At one point we had a big rig stopped on the other side of the road and a man and his daughter on this side, all shopping over the plants. One lady said it was better than WalMart. Neakmart? WalSis? grin Call tomorrow, the sooner the better, OK?

She wants to take Grandpa to church and said she'd help. I'm very ambivalent about that, but can guarantee one thing. We are NOT staying for potluck. I can't imagine anybody there getting through a meal with him spitting up phlegm every other bite. Lalalalalalalalala!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sick

tl

C
C
Ladies, I am on a roll tonight!

FEMININE CHICKS!!!

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hee hee, Rella, I'm feeling more feminine already. laugh

I see my post didn't make it on yesterday. We were in Nevada, and the internet signal was not very steady. I know one thing I said was that I was almost home, which I am now. And also, our next load is going to Wisconsin, not too far from where our farm cousins are. It looks like we'll be able to spend the night even. That part of WI is soooooo beautiful!

It's nice to see that GP isn't as bad off as when I left. He recognized me, and what he is saying makes sense now. (As opposed to telling me, talking about his saltine crackers, that he would investigate them to see whether they were the truth. It is very easy to tell if your crackers are phonies.) The hacking and vomiting at mealtimes we're going to have to work on, at least if Mom wants to ever be allowed to go home when I get back.

AW, I bet that nice Mrs. VDK forgets to pace when she is singing to her little brother. smile

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
Page 5 of 100 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 99 100

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation