Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
OP Offline
B
WW has admitted to having an EA with OM but insists that it was completely non sexual. the OM runs a gym and she admires him and enjoys his company. I have confirmed they have gone to lunch 5-6 times over the last 6 months. I confronted my wife about it and feel we are working on the issues that caused it.

My wife still goes to the gym and takes classes with this OM
Am I out of my mind?

P
P
Originally Posted by bostonbatman
My wife still goes to the gym and takes classes with this OM. Am I out of my mind?

Yep.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
B
OP Offline
B
What should I do?

W
W
Yup!

Wife needs to find a new gym pronto!

WTF *** Warning *** Make sure brain is engaged before shifting mouth out of Neutral.
B
OP Offline
B
What if she is telling me the truth and this was only an EA and she wants to be with me. She loves to excersize and I don't want to eliminate this joyful part of her life. I am starting an exersize program and plan to go to the gym iwth her this weekend and work on getting fit enough to do the group class she takes with him.

P
P
WW has admitted to having an EA

Do you really think an EA would NEVER turn into a "sexual affair" if the conditions were right?

She needs to protect your marriage by finding another gym.

“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
B
OP Offline
B
This OM lives in the town and my wife is home all day with the kids at school - if she wants to cheat she can - I can't lock her up.
I love her and don't want to lock her up.

T
Tyk Offline
T
"only and EA" means that you were lucky and caught it before it got physical.

You should consider this a big huge wake up call, and go to extraordinary lengths to protect your M.

Its time for a new gym, imo.

P
P
Your marriage. Good luck to you.

A
A
Where I live there is a gym on almost every corner now, isn't it like that where you live? One can exercise ANYWHERE.

I started off in EA and ended PA. Isn't that really how it always is pretty much?

If it were me I wouldnt tell her she couldnt work out, but I would demand she find another place to do so.

B
OP Offline
B
She knows this om from High School, knows his family, his wife.
I believe she was getting emotional needs of recreational companionship and conversation from him. She has agreed not to go to lunch with him and right now I have enthusictically agreed to let her take the classes. She really loves them. I have promised to be a much better husband PLAN A. I still trust her and love her and I believe she still loves me. One of our love busters in the past was me not allowing her this type of activity - dance exersize etc

Last edited by bostonbatman; 05/09/08 04:33 PM.
M
M

My wife still goes to the gym and takes classes with this OM
Am I out of my mind?

Surely you jest.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Dr. Harley in Coping with Infidelity: Part 2
How Should Affairs End?

Never see or communicate with a former lover

Once an affair is first revealed, whether it's discovered or admitted, the victimized spouse is usually in a state of shock. The first reaction is usually panic, but it's quickly followed by anger. Divorce and sometimes even murder are contemplated. But after some time passes (usually about three weeks), most couples decide that they will try to pull together and save their marriage.

The one having an affair is in no position to bargain, but he or she usually tries anyway. The bargaining effort usually boils down to somehow keeping the lover in the loop. You'd think that the unfaithful spouse would be so aware of his or her weaknesses, and so aware of the pain inflicted, that every effort would be made to avoid further contact with the lover as an act of thoughtfulness to the stunned spouse. But instead, the unfaithful spouse argues that the relationship was "only sexual" or was "emotional but not sexual" or some other peculiar description to prove that continued contact with the lover would be okay.

Most victimized spouses intuitively understand that all contact with a lover must end for life. Permanent separation not only helps prevent a renewal of the affair, but it is also a crucial gesture of consideration to someone who has been through he11. What victimized spouse would ever want to know that his or her spouse is seeing or communicating with a former lover at work or in some other activity?

In spite of career sacrifices, friendships, and issues relating to children's schooling, I am adamant in recommending that there be no contact with a former lover for life. For many, that means a move to another state. But to do otherwise fails to recognize the nature of addiction and its cure.

<snip>

We don't know if R.J. still sees his lover, but he says he has broken off all contact. In many cases where a person is still in town, that's hard to prove. But one thing's for sure, if he ever does see his lover, it will put him in a state of perpetual withdrawal from his addiction, and make the resolution of his marriage essentially impossible. In fact, one of the reasons he is not recovering after three months of separation may be that he is not being truthful about the separation.

Entire article at: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5060_qa.html

How to Survive an Affair chapter in HIS NEEDS, HER NEEDS
p. 177

...I have seen husbands build new and wonderful relationships with their wives but then go back to their lovers after five or six years of what appeared to be marital bliss. When I ask them why, they inevitably tell me they miss the woman terribly and still love her. At the same time they stoutly affirm they love their wives dearly and would not think of leaving them.

I believe a man like this has told the truth. He is hopelessly entangled and needs all the help possible to be kept away from his lover and stay faithful to his wife. I often recommend that a man once involved in an affair come in to see me every three to six months on an indefinite basis, just to talk about how things are going and to let me know how successfully he has stayed away from his lover. He must resign himself to a lifetime without her. HE MUST CERTAINLY NOT WORK WITH HIS FORMER LOVER AND SHOULD PROBABLY LIVE IN SOME OTHER CITY OR STATE. Even with those restrictions the desire for her company persists...

Lifechoice post on THE AFFAIR ADDICTION http://www.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2048341&fpart=1

Quote:
He must resign himself to a lifetime without her. HE MUST CERTAINLY NOT WORK WITH HIS FORMER LOVER AND SHOULD PROBABLY LIVE IN SOME OTHER CITY OR STATE.

I can certainly attest to this. My situation is a prime example of what not to do. I kept myself stuck in withdrawal for over 2 years because I continued to work with my FOM. In these 2 years I had no desire to get back into the A, I just couldn't break free of my addiction.

After I ended the A I learned about the addiction part of it and agreed it was a huge part of it. The scary part of the addiction is during the 2 years FOM and I worked together I didn't even realize how much I was still addicted to him. We did our best to remain professional, but the addiction was still there and kept me very stuck. I couldn't get over certain aspects of the A, but couldn't figure out why. (duh). I thought I had a good handle on it, but in all reality I didn't. It wasn't until after FOM left our employer and moved out of town that I finally could get through withdrawal. I should also add it was this bad for me and I only worked about 6 days a month. I can only imagine it would be much worse for someone who works with the AP on a full-time basis.

Now every time I read where AP's are still working together I just cringe. I wasted 2 years of my time in withdrawal and at the same time for one of the years trying to rebuild my marriage. Talk about a lot of mental anguish and conflict.

My advice to everyone from a BTDT POV, a WS needs to get as far away from the AP as they can.

LC

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
OP Offline
B
What would you have me do - tie her up and keep her in a closet?

M
M
I still trust her and love her and I believe she still loves me. One of our love busters in the past was me not allowing her this type of activity - dance exersize etc

You have signed your own death warrant, but somehow I suspect you are going to have to find this out yourself the hard way. Welcome to the School of Hard Knocks, my friend. crazy

Exposure 101

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you very much for your thoughtful response.

M
M

I wouldn't have you do anything. It's your life, not mine. My marriage is fully recovered. <shrug>

Exposure 101

M
M
bostonbatman...

Do you understand that almost all EAs are just PAs waiting to happen? That once an emotional connection has been made that it is just a matter of time before it goes to that next step?

Both you and your wife need to realize it and take the necessary steps to protect your marriage...Unfortunately, your wife is in the fog of an EA and will not wish to do this...It is up to you to enforce your boundary and protect your marriage...Surely there are other gyms in your area...

Also, your wife has HISTORY with this guy...This is sooooooo DANGEROUS...I can't tell you how many warning bells are sounding in this FWW's head when I read your story...My affair was with an ex high school/college boyfriend...I'm begging you to heed the warnings people here are giving you...If you do not, this will NOT be a pleasant experience for either of you...

Have you told your wife that you both must find another gym? Her reaction to that will be telling...Also, ask yourself this, if it were you that had been having lunches with a woman from the gym, would your wife be okay with that? Would she be all happy, hunky-dory about your continuing to go to said gym?

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

J
J
Most PA start as EA

A
A

That's one extreme, another would be letting her continue seeing another man she is already emotionally attached to just to see what happens.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 369 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation