Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2072243 06/12/08 08:04 AM
J
JulieB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
For anyone who has any experience with this I'd like your input and help.
I searched but the search function isn't working for me today. Sorry, I'm sure this is a repeat subject.

Long story and multiple threads short - my husband is a repeat abuser/cheater.
He is "willing to work things out and change" but I don't believe him. So I'm planning on getting some type of a GPS tracker for his car to find out for certain just how far his issues have gone this time.

Anyone done this and have any input on what to look for and which ones are better? Where to get them (online, from a store) and even online services that I can sign up for that will instantly relay the gps information so I can view it while he's gone?

Last edited by JulieB; 06/12/08 08:05 AM.
JulieB #2072253 06/12/08 08:22 AM
A
A
Julie-

I dont know much about GPS- but I have heard of people putting in a voice recorder in the car- it activates when they talk. The theory is that the WS gets in the car and calls the OW- because they have privacy there.

good luck

BS-me 38y
FWH-39y
DDay-11-30-06
DS-14y
DS-8y
DS-2y
Married December 1992
amartini #2072257 06/12/08 08:28 AM
J
JulieB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yeah, that's a good idea, too.
Do voice recorders record for 14 consecutive hours? LOL Sounds stupid but that's how long my hubby's "at work" often.

I just read an article about beign able to track location via cellphone - that sounds promising and more affordable. If he has the right kind of phone for that, anywhoo.

JulieB #2072271 06/12/08 08:52 AM
A
A
From what I understand- they turn on when someone is talking. Sooo- I wouldnt think you wh would be in the car talking for 14 hours would he??? If so- ugh I wouldn't want that job- and I like to talk!!

Please I wanted to chip my husband when I found out!!! They do it to dogs- and frankly at the time he was being a dog- right!

BS-me 38y
FWH-39y
DDay-11-30-06
DS-14y
DS-8y
DS-2y
Married December 1992
amartini #2072289 06/12/08 09:16 AM
J
JulieB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Ahhh. cool

So I was looking into GPS (specifically: GPS Key) VS a Voice-R and I want both. LOL
But seeing as how i have to save up the money, first, I'll go with what's more affordable - the Voice-R. I guess I don't actually have to *know* where he's at to listen in on what he's doing, eh?
And if that gives any type of proof (which it wont for a while because i did just confront him and I feel I confronted him too soon, actually) ... then I can look into GPS if I need to physically catch him.

But why would I want to do that? Well - just to make him face his reality I guess. It ticked me off that I confronted him too soon and so heonly admitted to he little bit that I gave him.

JulieB #2072297 06/12/08 09:27 AM
B
B
JulieB,

I used a GPS Snitch ($400 + mo subscription for hits) which allowed me to track the vehicle in real time across the internet. It would track the vehicle stationary or moving and would let you know which direction and vehicle speed.

You could actually use google earth to see exactly the pictures streets, bldgs, etc...) of where the car was parked at any particular time. I logged on the internet, saw where the car was, and drove right over there. IT WORKED GREAT.

It lead me to the motel they were at when WW said they just sat in the car and talked for hours!

I simply charged it up (ran for 4-5 days before recharging), stuck in under the passenger seat in my WW car and it was ready to go.

I stopped using it after I filed for D. My WW also had her car searched and the GPS was found and discarded (ouch...)

Its even a nice tool to use on your kids when they become new teen drivers if one feels the need to know where they are.

BS(Me) - 47
Ex-W - 44
D final - Dec 08
Kids - 14s,13d,8d
amartini #2072305 06/12/08 09:38 AM
F
F
I have used a GPS tracker from trackstick.com that I purchased from brickhousesecurity. I'm not going to compare it to other GPS devices since I have nothing to compare to. I have the super trackstick model, it was about $260. A little pricey but I consider it a very good and worthwhile purchase.

It doesn't do realtime GPS. But there are models out there that will do just that but you have to pay a monthly service charge to activate and receive info from the device. The model I have is small and durable. It will very accurately record it's location within a few feet, along with a time/date stamp. The memory will hold atleast month's worth of data. The downside is the battery life which is typically 1-2 weeks under normal conditions. The data retrieved will automatically launch google maps, showing the exact location of every point recorded. It is very, very accurate and fairly easy to use.

As with most GPS devices, it is very dependant on it's ability to receive a good signal from the GPS satellites from above. So.....Placement of the device is very important. Its view to the sky needs to be unobstructed, especially by metal. I have mine placed inside the rear plastic spoiler of our family van.

The most important thing to consider if you purchase one is placement. It has to be able to get a satellite signal. And yet, be undetectable from who ever you are tracking, which can be tough.

I personally love mine. Do I consider it an unwarranted invasion of privacy? No. My WW decision to bring another person into our relationship without my consent or knowledge was the ultimate breach of trust and invasion of our/my privacy.

J
JulieB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you for your input smile
I'll look over all these options and see what pans out the best.

JulieB #2072485 06/12/08 01:07 PM
T
Tyk Offline
T
I used a cell phone with GPS software installed on it hidden in WW's vehicle. The advantages of this method are price (approx. $80 for the phone and then $20/month with no contract) and live tracking capabilities, I could log onto a website and see exactly where the device was, set borders on the map that would send me a text or email when the device crossed the border, etc. It functioned VERY well though.

The downside was the tracking was dependent on the battery life of the phone (consider an extended life battery or hard wiring it into the vehicle), and the phone itself was bulkier and more difficult to hide than a trackstick. It is also a little more complicated in that you have to set up the phone and the web service. Its all well explained in the instructions, but it took some tinkering to get it right.

I don't want to spam but the service I used was http://www.accutracking.com/ . Mods you may remove this if it violates the TOS.

Tyk #2072540 06/12/08 02:09 PM
P
P
The digital voice recorder in the car worked wonders for me, I used a pair.

It only starts recording when it senses sound so out of a 14 hour day, it will only have some road sounds and phone conversations.

I bacame the master of installing and retrieving it, either at night or when she would go shopping. I could slip in and out of the car in seconds and swap recorders out.

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
Pariah #2072630 06/12/08 03:27 PM
J
JulieB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you both for that.

Pariah - what type did you use and where did you get them from? If it worked for you and wasn't too expensive I'll be able to get it sooner than later.

Pariah #2072699 06/12/08 04:11 PM
M
M
where do you hide the digital voice recorder so it will pick up phone conversations but still be undetectable?

P
P
I got the inexpensive Panasonic that has a USB connector.

I would hide them in the pocket behind the driver's seat in my wife's Blazer.

You can also wrap it in foam and cram it under the seat, but you will get road noise.

You gotta get a good cushioned hiding place or a micophone for it to stick somewhere inconspicuous.

They EAT batteries, so a pair a day is the rule.

Swap the recorders daily, but when you KNOW wayward is oblivious to your snooping and NEVER I mean NEVER let them know where you are getting your information.

LIE and say affair partner told you or one of the toxic cheerleading friends told you and you refuse to release any further information.

A poker face is key here and NEVER get too anxious to retrieve the recorder, no matter how bad the news you find is.

I became master of destroying toxic friends credibility and discovered and exposed the affair of said toxic friend as a bonus! laugh

Pariah #2072739 06/12/08 04:48 PM
M
M
LOL @ Pariah! grin

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
It's also how I found out XW was trying to get OM to kill me.

She wanted him to "accidentally" hit me with a truck, she told him that it would be "thrilling" to her, but that was two days before I got shot, the look of guilt on her face in the hospital was priceless.

When I confronted OM with the evidence, I told him I wanted $25,000 or I would tell his wife. I got him on tape saying his family wasn't worth that, or any amount. This was the day before Christmas eve. He and I had another discussion also, I'll save that story for some other time.

Christmas eve, I managed to drag my cripple self into my manual transmission truck and drive it to his house with a cane to press the gas.

I dragged myself to his door and knocked. His wife answered and I gave her a package containing ALL of the evidence and told her to tell OM Merry Christmas. laugh

JulieB #2072868 06/12/08 09:59 PM
J
J
Most of the MP3 players now have voice recording. Battery life is anywhere from 4-8 hours. You plug into a USB port on your computer to charge and extract the recording.

I bought 2, so I could swap. They were about $40 each and the size of a pack of gum. (Google on YP-U2J).

They served their purpose well, and I now have loaded Dr Harley's audio books on them for me to review MB concepts.

JustBryan #2072969 06/13/08 06:36 AM
J
JulieB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Really, Bryan? Thank you for that, that's good to learn.

LOL @ Pariah
Kudos for self control. This is kind of why I want a GPS - so I can catch him red handed and leave him NO wiggle room.

Looking into the past - which has been VERY hard to do - I've found out the truth about his first marriage and ex girlfriend and I've decided NOT to tell him all that I know. Not until he's in a corner.

I have this good faith streak in me and if our marriage falls apart and so on I want him to at least confess what he's done - even if it means me tracking him out to woods.

Fortunately I'm very good at being glossy and can pull a good poker face.

Last edited by JulieB; 06/13/08 07:26 AM.
JulieB #2088441 07/10/08 02:42 PM
S
S
I bought two phones, with minutes for 200.00- gps did not use minutes, that cost 2.00 a month. fully charged it would last 2-3 days. track via computer or phone to phone. coast to coast. I have been able to throw them away as things worked out. I hope you will be able to do that also. btw,,,the phones were boost mobile.(target,wal-mart)

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 978 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation