Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2075771 06/18/08 07:20 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I'm looking for a general consensus here about this.
If NC is in place, and as far as one can tell has not been broken, and it's been in place for 8 months, is this a bad idea or not?

If one is still a little uncertain about whether FWW would tell you immediately if contact is attempted, even though she says she would tell you right away. Is it a bad idea to test that by making a fake email account for OM and sending a contact attempt to her to see if she would tell me?

I'm wanting a general consensus from you good people before even thinking further about doing this. If feels wrong, but I soooo want to be certain that she would tell me about it. (I wouldn't say anything in the email, just a couple of question marks ought to get the message across.

Thanks,
~MrStrype

Last edited by MrStrype; 06/18/08 07:21 PM.

Me: BH, 43
Her: FWW, 38
Married: Feb 29, 1996
Children: 2 Boys-11 & 14
EA started: sometime in 2006?
PA started: 08/21/07
D-Day: 10/24/07
No Contact initiated: 10/24/07
OM: My "ex-best friend" of over 20 years.
MrStrype #2075775 06/18/08 07:23 PM
B
B
That's a really bad idea.

IF you suspect she is in contact SNOOP.

Don't lower yourself to that deception.

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
bigkahuna #2075777 06/18/08 07:27 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Big K, I appreciate your quick response.

I'm going to Bible Study now, I'll be back on later to see if there are any other's chiming in on this subject.

~MrStrype

MrStrype #2075779 06/18/08 07:30 PM
R
R
Agree with BK...do not lie or deceive. Not for any reason!

SNOOP, DAWG!

Peace,
LaLa

FWW(me) 37
BS 38
DS 9 & 5
PA 7/06-8/06
Dday 2/17/07

Fogapalooza-My Babbly Beginning
My Story
MrStrype #2075780 06/18/08 07:31 PM
H
H
I've had the same horrible idea...but I tend to agree with BigK that it is below us. We shouldn't stoop lying.

If you do it and she tells you, then how will you feel? You will have deceived her. If you snoop and find out, you didn't deceive her...you just found out. There's a moral difference I think.

It doesn't mean that we can't dream about the bad things we'd love to do...just don't let them consume us. I actually wished I could mess with OW...email her posing as H to see what she'd do. Pure evil. I have to believe that it isn't a good thing to dwell in.

HTM

BW 37 (Me).
F?WH 35.
06/97 Married.
Three sons...4, 5, and 7.
06/04 EA begins (Unknown to me).
02/10/05 D-Day EA (Unknown PA).
02/24/08 D-Day LTA 3+ YEARS! (same OW).

hicktownmommy #2075783 06/18/08 07:36 PM
B
B
You know Mr Strype - you will KNOW if she is in ontact with OM by her ATTITUDE.

What makes you suspect she's in contact?

The 6-8 month mark of recovery (where you are now) is often marked by the BS getting really angry - is this where you are at now?

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
bigkahuna #2075791 06/18/08 07:49 PM
K
K
Another good reason NOT to do this:

If WW has indeed been keeping NC, and now thinks OM is contacting her again, it could trigger all those old feelings again. By now the fog should be lfting, and this could reverse the progress. You don't want to put temptation in her path!

bigkahuna #2075804 06/18/08 08:11 PM
H
H
BK,

Not to TJ, but is there somewhere to look for the general mood pattern of a BS? I know everyone is different to a certain extent, but I wondered if there is a common progression...like your comment about the anger coming at about 6-8 months out from d-day.

HTM

BW 37 (Me).
F?WH 35.
06/97 Married.
Three sons...4, 5, and 7.
06/04 EA begins (Unknown to me).
02/10/05 D-Day EA (Unknown PA).
02/24/08 D-Day LTA 3+ YEARS! (same OW).

hicktownmommy #2075806 06/18/08 08:13 PM
B
B
Bob Pure did a pretty good timeline - it doesn't fit all cases IMO. I'll see if he can take a look at this thread and post it.

I know he posted it to W2S and LaLa

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
bigkahuna #2075818 06/18/08 08:25 PM
M
M
Bad idea.

If you want information perhaps hide a voice activated digital tape recorder in the house around where she typically talks on the phone. You most likely won't hear her talking to OM but, perhaps, conversations with a girlfriend outlinning everything you need to know.

I tend to think where there is suspicion, there's cause.

Snoop.

Mr. Wondering

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
MrWondering #2075827 06/18/08 08:38 PM
M
M
MrStrype, do you know that a wayward is supposed to AVOID tempations so they are not triggered? What you propose is tempting her so she will be triggered. You won't learn anything that you didn't already know, that she is tempted and can be vulnerable to adultery.

It would be much better for your marriage to set things up so she is NOT tempted. For example, only use the computer when you are together, create total transparency so it would be impossible to have an affair.

I agree with the others that you should SNOOP. Some serious snooping, in addition to creating an entirely transparent life, will help you learn to relax a little.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2075883 06/18/08 10:50 PM
M
OP Offline
M
OK I'm back from Bible study. Thank you for the responses everyone.

Originally Posted by bigkahuna
You know Mr Strype - you will KNOW if she is in ontact with OM by her ATTITUDE.

What makes you suspect she's in contact?

The 6-8 month mark of recovery (where you are now) is often marked by the BS getting really angry - is this where you are at now?

Actually her attitude has been rather great. She is very affectionate these days (more so than even pre-A), and there is absolutely no reason for me to suspect that she's in contact. I know where she's at at all times, and I have all he passwords etc. There is transparency. I am at a place where I trust her again. But then there's sometimes this little voice in the back of my head saying "you trusted her before, too, look where that got you."
It's probably just me being paranoid. She has told me several different time when I've asked her that she would tell me immediately if he did try to contact her, But I would like to be 100% certain that that's the truth, instead of say 85% certain, know what I mean?
But no, there isn't a reason for me to suspect her of breaking NC.

And I have actually already gone through the being angry part, I'm not saying that I NEVER get angry about it anymore, but now it happens so seldom that I think I can say that I'm pretty much over that.

Thank you for your response and reasoning. And like HTW, I, too, would be interested in seeing Bob Pure's timeline.

Originally Posted by keepitreal
Another good reason NOT to do this:

If WW has indeed been keeping NC, and now thinks OM is contacting her again, it could trigger all those old feelings again. By now the fog should be lfting, and this could reverse the progress. You don't want to put temptation in her path!

You're right about that, of course. And NO, I do not want to put temptation in her path.

Originally Posted by MrWondering
Bad idea.

If you want information perhaps hide a voice activated digital tape recorder in the house around where she typically talks on the phone. You most likely won't hear her talking to OM but, perhaps, conversations with a girlfriend outlinning everything you need to know.

I tend to think where there is suspicion, there's cause.

Snoop.

Mr. Wondering

She doesn't have any girlfriends that she talks to like that. The only one who really knows and she's talked to is her niece, but I've also talked to her niece and we've all three talked. I actually do have a recorder that records both sides of a phone conversation automatically, but I haven't used it, as she doesn't talk on the phone at any length to anyone, and never tries to hide with the phone or anything like that. There isn't suspicion about contact, I just want to be certain that she'd tell me if there was an attempt. I guess there's really no way to be 100% certain except by trust, eh? (That is unless he actually did attempt contact and she told me).

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
MrStrype, do you know that a wayward is supposed to AVOID tempations so they are not triggered? What you propose is tempting her so she will be triggered. You won't learn anything that you didn't already know, that she is tempted and can be vulnerable to adultery.

It would be much better for your marriage to set things up so she is NOT tempted. For example, only use the computer when you are together, create total transparency so it would be impossible to have an affair.

I agree with the others that you should SNOOP. Some serious snooping, in addition to creating an entirely transparent life, will help you learn to relax a little.

You're right of course.

MrStrype #2075885 06/18/08 11:09 PM
R
R
Hi MrStrype!

I posted it to Hicktownmommy's thread, too, but here ya go!

From Mr. Bob Pure...

I have seen my own recovery, and that of many other BS follow predictable steps. The steps or stages may be similar but the timelines are very different. Also, once the full set has been run through, stages can be selected in seemingly random fashion.

1.- Devastation.
Fear, shock, confusion, existential pain. Loss of hopes, dreams and every assumption about God and man.
D-day and just afterwards. Don't want to go there again, ever.

2.- Appeasement.
OK, I've been dealt a cr@p hand, but if she will at least stay home SOME of my life support systems may at least function a bit.

3.- Indignation.
F'k that ! I'm stronger now and I WILL NOT suck up any more pain than I have to. Still scared, but not settling for crumbs.
This is where MB gets SERIOUSLY assimilated and applied. Turns hatred on OM as being to blame for affair.

4.- Gratitude.
The affair is ended, WS sends NC letter, exposure scares OM into darkness. THANK YOU GOD ! LA LA LA LA LA ! Still suspects FWS motivations for coming home, i.e comfort not love.

5.-"Advising others how to be wonderfully recovered like I am"

We have like SF 3 times a day, and a restored marriage is a decent possibility again and I am so PATHETICALLY grateful to not be in the deepest cr@p imaginable I am hyper-happy. Yessiree, no recovery problems for me !This is it for ever and it only took us x months ! Secretly suspects FWS motivations for coming home, i.e comfort not love.

6.-"Ah, there's an elephant in the sitting room"

So day to day life has been OK for a while now. SF, even maybe some ILYs. Kids are happy. Life is ACTUALLY not happier than for years but it is so much better than during the dark times of the affair and withdrawal that it seems that way. But you start to notice the 'elephant' in the sitting room : the enormous baggage of the affair that the BS has been previously too 'fight or flight' or psychotically happy to address. Suspects FWS motivations for coming home, i.e comfort not love.

7.- "I am angry and I don't need you so why am I here ?"

BS has operated in a loveless and hurt world for so long is now almost completely self sufficient. Is no longer even slightly desperate. Does not NEED FWS as whole life support mechanism has HAD to regrow without her while she betrayed and sulked over the months. Feels indignation at both the insult of the affair AND the insult of FWS not contributing HARD to recovery. Feels like an ATM machine and bodyguard and hugely taken for granted. KNOWS FWS still loves OP.

8. - What about MY needs ?

BS has developed a sense of self worth independent of what others think. Has had to. Thinks he deserves MUCH more affection, admiration respect, gratitude. " I didn't put this amount of effort in just to be nagged at all the time, and never be praised. I deserve MORE than that!." The kids happiness at a stable family quells thoughts of rebellion. realises OP was just an amoral scumbag who made the most of an opportunity FWS offered , 100% of the blame for the A is FWS. This hits hard.

9. - Resignation

The kids are happy, I am not unhappy, FWS is happy, this is just my lot in life. Better get on with it.

10.- make or break drive to get a M the BS deserves.

An effort from BS to challenge the peaceful but unsatisfying status quo in an attempt to get BS needs met.

Peace,
LaLa

FWW(me) 37
BS 38
DS 9 & 5
PA 7/06-8/06
Dday 2/17/07

Fogapalooza-My Babbly Beginning
My Story
Resonance #2075888 06/18/08 11:17 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thank you Resonance!
~MrStrype

MrStrype #2075889 06/18/08 11:18 PM
R
R
Welcome! grin

MrStrype #2075891 06/18/08 11:24 PM
M
OP Offline
M
From the definitions above, I'd say the one that most describes where I'm at is #9, Resignation. My idea of wanting to be 100% certain that she'd actually tell me if OM attempted contact I think is like a last obstacle to overcome in order to have complete faith and trust in the marriage again.
~Mark

MrStrype #2075897 06/18/08 11:33 PM
B
B
With the recent changes in Bob's marriage I do wonder if he would still agree with that list actually because I found it quite different to my recovery.

Having a fully repentant FWW makes a huge difference. I know that LaLa and MrsW don't agree with those steps either.

D-Day August 2005
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
bigkahuna #2075905 06/18/08 11:50 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Big K,
I don't entirely agree with that time line either. I know that it doesn't describe my steps to recovery...oh yes, SOME of it, but not the whole thing...and not necessarily in that order for the items that I've gone through either.

MrStrype #2076380 06/19/08 04:19 PM
S
S
Mr S,

I came very close to doing what you proposed.

Here's how I talked myself out of it. Many thoughts on the idea.

Let's say you create the email account and send the email.

Possible scenarios:

A. She has been in contact already via email, and this "new" email comes from out of the blue, from some strange email address and has this bizarre message in it. It is supposedly from the OM, but since she is already in contact with the OM, then WTH? She is immediately suspicious of the email, and realizes it is a trap from you. She tells you about the "attempted contact", you are reassured, FALSELY. She tells OM that you are suspicious, they take their renewed contact futher underground, and the affair is much more difficult to expose or discover. But you believe everything is okay, because she has told you about the attempted contact, AND, YOU FEEL GUILTY ABOUT YOUR STUPID AND DEVIOUS PLOT, AND ABOUT LYING TO HER ABOUT THE EMAIL. Ultimately, you would probably end up confessing about the email to her anyway.

B. She hasn't been in contact with OM. But she knows his email address. You make this one up, send the email, now she has this strange one. She's not sure what's happening, doesn't want to arouse you, not sure what to do, as she didn't start this. She doesn't even want to start it up again. It is NOT a familiar account, and she knows that she has nothing to worry about - because she has a very clean record regarding no contact. She decides it is not from the OM, couldn't be, because she knows his address and that is NOT IT. She deletes it, not even sure if it IS the OM at all, because she deletes it without even being sure that it was a renewed attempt at contact - because after all, she says to herself, it actually could have been someone fishing, it could have been spam, it could have been anything. Her reasoning is all over the place, but because she is NOT GUILTY, she believes that there is no contact in place and no reason to stir this pot. If it was just question marks, or an unclear message, there wouldn't really be anything to tell you about, and if you have her email passwords anyway, then you had every opportunity to look and see it yourself. The delete button it is, and "gone".

C. She sees it, tells you, and gives you a printout. You feel like a complete idiot. Then, out of guilt and shame, you tell her what you did. As a result, you are left trying to explain why you are acting like this, trying to trap her, lying to her, trying to set her up, lovebusting, and not even giving her the respect of recognizing the good things she is doing to try to repair the marriage (which you do admit she is doing).

D. She sees it, tells you, and gives you a printout. You feel like a complete idiot. But you don't tell her, because you think that it will cause problems. You go on in your marriage with this very disrespectful lie underlying your interactions, and that underpins many of your interactions. The shame you feel results in creating distance between the two of you, and she doesn't even know why - and she is working really hard to get closer to you. Not a real great way to build a healthy marriage, ya' think?

E. You send it, she responds, and you "catch" her "in contact" with the "OM". Now what?????? You have backed yourself into a corner! You have to expose your own lie and deceit in order to show her that you caught her. She could easily say to you:

I KNEW IT WAS YOU TRYING TO TRAP ME!

And how could you prove otherwise?

So, when I thought it through to the end, I realized that none of the outcomes was very good. There weren't any pots of gold at the end of those rainbows.

If you want to know if she is in contact, install a keylogger. Follow her. Get a voice activated recorder. Check her cell phone records. Track her emails. Hire a PI.

Don't stoop to being a liar or deceiver yourself. It will backfire.

SB

Lucky to be where I am, in a safe place to get marriage-related support.
Recovered.
Happy.
Most recent D-day Fall 2005
Our new marriage began that day. Not easily, but it did happen.
MrStrype #2076410 06/19/08 04:51 PM
K
K
I see very little moral difference between "snooping", such as tapping phone lines and secretly installing a keylogger, and setting up a trap as described in this thread.

I'd take it a step further and say that when the WS agrees to be completely transparent and honest, that implies that small "tests" are OK as well.

Those with nothing to hide, hide nothing.

Does it require a level of deceit? Yes, but it could also bring peace-of-mind and security to the BS, which in turn could help the marriage.

Of course, it has to be done properly. The more you know about the OP and the A, the better.

It may or may not produce solid evidence, but if it makes you feel better I say go for it.

At least you're not scheming in order to hop in the sack with some dishrag prostitute.

Divorced
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (DaisyTheCat2), 683 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation