Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
L
L
Originally Posted by Fatty
Hi
I don't really know what to say.

For the last six months I have been having an affair with a woman who I met at work, today I left her and returned home to my wife (for the second time). The first time i returned home I did not think it was important to stop all contact with the OW. Now I can see that it is very important.
Thanks
Fatty

So if you met her at work, can you describe how you have ended all contact and any potential chance of contact?

Welcome to Marriage Builders.

Lake
BW-53
FWH-54
H had EA 3 weeks 06
Married 1977

N C 4-10-06
3 DSs
In Recovery
M
M
I know that i am very lucky to have a wife who is prepared to give me another chance

she's NOT going to give you another chance. YOU have to earn another chance. IF you hurt her again, rest assured that YOU will likely lose your entire family forever.

I am going to make the most of it this time.

That remains to be seen. BUT, I must say, you are NOT getting off to a stellar start by failing to take total and complete responsibility for what you have done. YOU had an affair because of a lack of character and morals on your part. YOU chose to screw another woman and that makes you both (you and the OW) the lowest of the low. YOU can change. But you need to accept what and why you had an affair.

And why are you so intimidated by strong, capable women? Look deep inside and figure that out. Are you really a weak man? Most likely the answer is yes...so what are you going to do to change?

How did you abuse your wife? Have you EVER hit her?

M
M
And my wife has been on MB for the last 5 or 6 months, so in that regard she is one step ahead of me

she's so far ahead of you right now that she is but a speck on the horizon.

I ended the affair because I saw the OW for who she really is, she is not the sort of person that I would normaly assoiciate with.

well, you better hope your wife doesn't share your attitude. YOU are that type of person. YOU put another woman ahead of your wife and family. How much lower can the OW be? You are her.

Change.

Life will be so much better for you if you commit to ONE thing.

Develop and make a part of your life an absolute commitment to the truth. Live an honest life and things will improve quickly and dramatically.

Lie and expect disaster.

Consider starting with a clean slate by offering your wife two gifts. One, take a polygraph so that all historical issues are put to rest. Two, sign a post nuptial agreement that affords your wife anything she wants in the event of another affair.

In other words, put your money where your mouth is.

M
M
Fatty, do you still work with the OW?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
R
Originally Posted by Fatty
I ended the affair because I could see how much i was hurting my children and I could see how much i had too loose.

Fatty,

I note that your primary reasons for ending the affair include how much you were hurting your children and how much YOU had to lose. Maybe you're not yet ready to forgive your wife for her failure to meet your needs, but I hope you will spend some time dwelling on how your "solution" to that problem was to destroy everything your wife believed was good and holy, leaving her traumatized and bleeding. And how very poorly your punishment fit her crime.

Everyone here has given you excellent advice. Pay special attention to what Andrew posted--he is dead on.

Since you have just ended the affair, it is critical that you have absolutely NO contact with the affair partner you now see as someone you would "never associate with." Pepperband nailed it when she said that YOU have been the kind of person you would never associate with. Can you see that? You have been the kind of person your WIFE would never associate with--and she has had no choice about the kind of person you chose to be for the past 6 months. Your job now is to convince her that you are no longer that dangerous, violent stranger who tore her apart, and that is going to take herculean effort on your part. Are you in for the long haul?

If you are truly ready to be the man you and your wife can respect, and it sounds like you are, please hear and heed what so many who've gone before have to say. They will not steer you wrong here. I applaud you for reaching out. Now it's time to get down to work.

Me BS 61
Him FWS 63
Married 40 years
D-Day 6/30/06
Still can't believe it.
6/08 Recovering nicely. Anything is possible!
P
P
Fatty,

I applaud you for being here. It is very rare to get a WH on these boards.

I'll forewarn you that you will get many 2x4s slapped upside your head on these forums. The vast majority are meant to grab your attention and force you to look inwards. Looking inside at our own flaws is a difficult process, but it's a critical one for you to go through. You're getting great advice.

The biggest one is to take complete ownership for what you did and make sure to never, ever say, "I'm sorry, but...."

If your BW feels hurt and rants and vents, then let her and be understanding. A WS doesn't really understand the intencity of the emotions surrounding the betrayal. These are storms you need to weather and it will be tough because you won't be able to predict or forsee the triggers. It can be as simple as a movie sitting on a shelf, a location, or a song. Little things can be huge triggers for the BS.

So the key words for you right now are openness, empathy, and patience. It's a long road to walk.

Best of luck.

D-Day 28 Feb 06
Plan D (Not by choice) - 24 March 06

DD6
DS4(Twin1)
DS4(Twin2)

She moved away with the kids April 08. I contested it and got a lot more time with my kids. She's unhappy that I want to stay involved in their lives and don't settle for being an "every other weekend" dad.

Never going to happen.

Ongoing personal recovery through the help of friends, family, and DC United Soccer!
B
B
Have you thought of how you are going to handle it when the OW attempts to contact you?

It would be best to change your phone numbers, stop her from getting on any internet social sites that you have, and let friends know that you want no messages from her. Usually the OW will continue attempting contact. And that is expecially true if you have given her money.

I
I
hi fatty,
read "what.how to heal" in the general discussion that is me. i started this today. i will talk to him about this. i hope he too also joins here. as a bs im proud of you being here.
good luck

BW 49 (me), WH 46, married 22 years
10/5/2007 found out about the affair
11/3/2007 H moved out
11/20/2007 H moved back in
2/1/2008 H moved out again
3/18/2008 H filed for divorce
6/10/2008 H moved back home
Today-In recovery, but a long road ahead.
H
H
Hi Fatty,

That's a good name, I had an uncle named FAT. (Francis Aloysius T)I never knew his real name until I was 14 yrs.old. But your name made me smile thinking of him.

Welcome to Marriage Builders!

I think I darn near could have written your posts. Been there done that! I hope you stick around. These folks helped me save my marriage and saved my life. I received a few 2X4's upside the head in the process, but they kept me on track.

I'm wondering if you gave the No-Contact letter to your wife to read and for her to mail or ???
You also mentioned you met this other woman at work, so does she work with you or ???
You say your wife is posting here, what's her user name ???

Start with these few things and some of the questions others are asking you. You will be amazed how much help is available if you are willing to be open and honest.

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by MuffinCups
Totally off subject but I have to know, before I say anything else, because it disturbs me and maybe won't once I hear the reason...why did you chose the name Fatty?

I picked the name Fatty for no real reason, you could say I am a fat head for having an affair (and you would be right). I am not over weight but I certainly am heavier than my wife.

Flick
F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Fatty, do you still work with the OW?

No I do not work for that company anymore and the OW has also left there, also she moved to another town (about 4 hours drive). So there is little chance of seeing her again unless I make an effort to see her, AND THAT AIN'T IN MY PLAN!!!

Fatty

F
F
BRAVO to you! Now, use that as your mantra and you should do great. Congrats for coming here and putting yourself out there for help. It's impressive.

Me 44, H 42, DS 16, DS 13
H/EA 4/07, D Day 10/17/07..
500th d-day 10/14/08...
NO RAIN...NO RAINBOWS!
C
C
So, let's get down to business. Tell us what happened, and what your marriage was like before. What's it like now?

F
Flick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by medc
I know that i am very lucky to have a wife who is prepared to give me another chance

she's NOT going to give you another chance. YOU have to earn another chance. IF you hurt her again, rest assured that YOU will likely lose your entire family forever.

I am going to make the most of it this time.

That remains to be seen. BUT, I must say, you are NOT getting off to a stellar start by failing to take total and complete responsibility for what you have done. YOU had an affair because of a lack of character and morals on your part. YOU chose to screw another woman and that makes you both (you and the OW) the lowest of the low. YOU can change. But you need to accept what and why you had an affair.

And why are you so intimidated by strong, capable women? Look deep inside and figure that out. Are you really a weak man? Most likely the answer is yes...so what are you going to do to change?

How did you abuse your wife? Have you EVER hit her?

**EDIT**

Now just to be clear, I am serious about making good on repairing my relationship with my wife. I do know that I chose to have an affair and that it is totally my fault.

Fatty

Last edited by Revera; 07/21/08 06:00 PM. Reason: personal attack

Flick
V
V
Fatty - You need to understand that many of us on here have had our lives turned upside down by someone just like you. We've had to send our children to counseling, we've had to watch our children cry for their dad, and it's not a pretty sight. So, I do applaud you for coming on here because it will probably be pretty rough at first. However, I think in the long run you could do a lot of good and maybe help others.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

The person who is always finding fault seldom finds anything else.

I pity the fool. - Mr. T
M
M
Gee Fatty....imagine someone thinking it might have happened. In my experience, people that verbally abuse their spouse are a risk for hittng them also. Since the word abuse did not originate from me...but from the person you have abused, I think the question was in order.

It's a nice little wayward ploy to deflect attention with anger...so go ahead. I have seen it before.

So, how about that polygraph and post nuptial agreement sport?

Now just to be clear, I am serious about making good on repairing my relationship with my wife. I do know that I chose to have an affair and that it is totally my fault.

That's a start.

Last edited by medc; 07/21/08 06:07 PM.
B
B
-.-. --- -. - --. .-. .- - ..- .-.. .- - .. --- -. ... / ..-. --- .-. / ... - .- -.-- .. -. --. / .... . .-. . .-.-.- / .. / .-- .- ... / .- ..-. .-. .- .. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / .-.. . .- ...- . .-.-.-

K
K
Fatty, we have an ignore button for people you don't want to hear from.

Did you read some of the articles on the main site? I found them very helpful.

NC really is the answer.

I don't have any advice as such - I just wanted to lend my support.

M
M
Fatty, we have an ignore button for people you don't want to hear from.

yes, there you go...encourage a WS to ignore some things that could help his wife. Good job Jen.

sick

K
K
LOL, there was a time when you could have upset me, MEDC, but not any more.

Do you know what it's like trying to get a kiwi guy to talk? The very fact he's here is amazing.

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation