Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2092783 07/17/08 07:16 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello Everyone,
I am new and trying to start. A reoccurring thing for me in all this is the love I feel for a man I lived with almost THIRTY years ago! I have worked thru many things and the decision I made to leave him then was based on a heart that was motivated by a very dysfunctional family background. I instead married a very good man whom [email][/email] I love, but we do not fit well together in many ways. The conflicts and deep judgmental environment I experience with my DH have brought me to the point that I feel I made the wrong decision leaving my live in. It seemed we were soulmates, but I know fantasy can really get going. I am committed to loving and staying with my DH, but the loneliness I feel and the regret (what if...) is always there. The reality is, I gave my heart fully to this other man who seemed to welcome me and my present husband is often critical of me. I feel judged and controlled. In my other relationship I felt valued and understood. These "ghosts" of love are almost an infidelity of heart. I pray and try to be loving but I cannot forget the truth of the relationship that existed and I mourn often about the choice I made so many years ago.Denying that that relationship was real and valuable is what I tried to do for years. I cannot do it anymore, especially in light of the pain and loneliness I feel so often. Help?

TKonczal #2094417 07/19/08 11:37 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by TKonczal
Hello Everyone

hello and welcome

A reoccurring thing for me in all this is the love I feel for a man I lived with almost THIRTY years ago!

How old were you 30 years ago?

I think you may want to consider your use of the word "love".
Mature love between 2 adults is so much more than a feeling - particularly more than a feeling remnant of passion from the past.

Unless you've kept up a relationship - what you are talking about is a feeling memory - NOT a current state of LOVE based on a deep understanding/appreciation/awe for who that person is TODAY.

I have worked thru many things and the decision I made to leave him then was based on a heart that was motivated by a very dysfunctional family background.

Maybe not. Your decision 30 years ago was situational ... the situation called for you to remove yourself - so you did just that.

I instead married a very good man whom I love, but we do not fit well together in many ways.

How long have you been married?

The conflicts and deep judgmental environment I experience with my DH have brought me to the point that I feel I made the wrong decision leaving my live in.

.... and so you weave a fantasy-man, a "soulmate I lost", out of an old love remnant - and this man who does not exist is used as a comparison to your real life and humanly flawed husband.

This non-existent "perfect man for me" is coloring your view of your husband - a triangle now exists because you invented someone in your mind.

It seemed we were soulmates, but I know fantasy can really get going. I am committed to loving and staying with my DH, but the loneliness I feel and the regret (what if...) is always there.

What a waste of time!

Why not dump this fantasy guy (who ONLY exists in your mind) and make it your business to learn how to have a better marriage?

The reality is, I gave my heart fully to this other man

when you were probably not fully an adult -

who seemed to welcome me

30 years ago !!!!!!!!!!

and my present husband is often critical of me.

Why do you refer to your husband as your "present husband"?
Are you planning to leave him?
Have you had other husbands?

I feel judged and controlled.

"judged"

Everyone gets judged. You are judging your husband in this very thread.
There are probably things about you that make it difficult for your husband to get along with you.
Mooning over a "30-years-ago-man" you refer to as your "soulmate" probably does not make you an exceptionally loving wife toward your husband.
He has complaints about you?
You have complaints about him?

WELCOME TO MARRIAGE

How to work through all of this is what this site is all about.

"controlled"

You are not controlled unless you are weak.
Whenever someone says "You are controlling me." They are, in effect, saying "I am weak and not responsible for what is happening."

In my other relationship I felt valued and understood.

.... so you left feeling valued and understood ....

I don't think so .... try again smile

These "ghosts" of love are almost an infidelity of heart.

It's a distraction - keeping you "helpless" and blaming your spouse 100% for the state of your marriage, instead of owning your 50 % for this marriage.

You can't/won't work on your half of the marriage whilst you make another (non-existent) man the centerpiece of your heart.

How cruel this is to your husband!
First you say you married a "very good man" - then you complain how he judges you and "controls" you. Which is it?

I pray and try to be loving but I cannot forget the truth of the relationship that existed and I mourn often about the choice I made so many years ago.

Drama is fun - isn't it? It makes this all seem romantic - while your real life marriage suffers. Poor you!
Do you hold your hand over your heart when you say stuff like this?

Denying that that relationship was real and valuable is what I tried to do for years. I cannot do it anymore, especially in light of the pain and loneliness I feel so often. Help?

Want help?
HERE YOU GO *LINK* HERE

TKonczal #2094626 07/20/08 06:59 AM
L
L
Hi TK, and welcome. I feel a certain kinship with you as I too struggle to keep a "lost love" in the past. I hope we can help each other. Sometimes there is comfort relating similar problems and finding support in that empathy.

Pepperband offers sage advice, and gives you much to consider. I agree with her response, particularly this - "Unless you've kept up a relationship - what you are talking about is a feeling memory - NOT a current state of LOVE based on a deep understanding/appreciation/awe for who that person is TODAY."

My "lost love" is an EX-H. I understand what you mean when you say you gave your heart fully, I did too. Had prior relationships, but never before experienced the depth of love I felt for him.

Tell us more about why you decided to leave your ex love. Heart motivated by a very dysfunctional family background? What happened? What were you thinking at the time?

My Ex...drugs, drinking, cheating. He broke my heart. Yet I still miss much of what we shared...the good times. I think of him often.

I would describe my H as a good man. He doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs. He is close to his/our family. He is punctual and works hard, is where he says he is and reports any variances. His "language of love" is service-oriented - not my preferred language, but understanding that's how he expresses caring definitely helps. The chance of infidelity on his part is next to nil due to his character and experiences.

However, he is also very critical. Not just with me, of everything.

When I am not pro-active in dealing with his critical nature, I tend to fantasize about the "what if's" with my Ex. Sometimes I'll smile wryly, figuring I'll be an old woman still thinking about us being together, me and a man I don't really even know but think I do/did. Pepperband is right...a waste of time!

Would this help? When I have sense enough to do it, I can change my perception of my H's criticisms. I think, it isn't really "me" he's criticizing...he's expressing disappointment that a task is not completed. Or, his expectations have not been met. That isn't about me, that's about HIM. I can choose to help him out...or not. I can also choose HOW and WHEN I might help him out. It presents my mind with a lot of control over the situation and eases the potential of resentful feelings.

My H is also very organized. If you asked him, there's a certain way to do most things and that's his way, and he's right. lol. My attempts to color outside the lines while handling tasks irritate him. I often find great humor in our clashes over the strangest, simplest things. Makes life interesting. I learned a little trick that calms him pretty well - I don't necessarily "do more," I just plan to be "caught" by him while actively doing something that he appreciates. Like, vacuuming when I expect him to walk in the door.

Are there things of this sort that might help you with your H's criticisms? What types of things bother him?

Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have in trying to change others.
Lucks #2094664 07/20/08 10:15 AM
P
P
I don't necessarily "do more," I just plan to be "caught" by him while actively doing something that he appreciates. Like, vacuuming when I expect him to walk in the door.

This made me smile

TKonczal #2094670 07/20/08 10:28 AM
S
S
TK,

Have you even seen this ghost of 30 years ago? Is he still alive? Do you know anything about him? I am not recommending looking him up, but at the same time if you have not contacted or seen him in 30 years there is a good chance if you did it would not be the same. Kinda like Garth Brook's song 'I Thank God for Unanswered Prayers'

Pepperband #2094671 07/20/08 10:31 AM
P
P
One of the reasons I decided to post to you is that you are a prime example of how someone sets themselves up in a situation of emotional isolation within the marriage.

Lots of people do this - I've done this ... it's just that your example is obvious enough that I think your situation makes a good lesson for others who might read this.

And it is likely that your 30-year-ago relationship also ended because of someone's (yours?) emotional isolation as well.

Even if you never return to read the responses on MB - some other person may be helped by what you've written and by the responses you got on this thread.

Love Busters

The love you and your spouse have for each other is directly affected by almost all of your behavior. This is a point that I will repeat in most of my remaining concepts and Q&A columns. Until now, I have focused attention on behavior that will meet each other's most important emotional needs. When you behave that way, you are caring for each other. But the resulting Love Bank deposits will not do your marriage much good if other behavior leads to Love Bank withdrawals. So to help you gain control over your behavior so that you can learn to avoid making Love Bank withdrawals, I will introduce you to my next basic concept, Love Busters.

Why would any of us hurt the one we promised to love and cherish?

Lack of empathy is at the core of the problem. I was struck with what we are all up against while watching a Star Trek episode. Spock had volunteered to be possessed by an alien presence so that it could communicate with Captain Kirk of the Starship Enterprise.

As soon as it entered Spock's body, its first reaction was, "Oh, how lonely you must all feel."

You see, in the alien world, they were all connected to each other through telepathy so that each one could feel what everyone else felt. They were all emotionally bonded to each other. But as soon as the alien possessed Spock's body, it realized that we humans are all cut off from each other emotionally. And it viewed our state as incredibly isolated and lonely.

One of the most important consequences of our emotional isolation is that we cannot feel the way we affect others. And that creates the temptation to hurt others because in doing so we don't feel the pain we cause. If we were connected emotionally to others as the aliens were, we would be far less tempted to do anything thoughtless, gaining at someone else's expense. That's because in so doing, we would be hurting ourselves as well.

And that's what I always seem to be battling when I try to encourage one spouse to avoid doing anything that would hurt the other spouse. I cannot seem to trigger empathy. Each spouse complains about how thoughtless the other spouse is, without much awareness of his or her own thoughtlessness.

Lack of empathy helps makes thoughtlessness possible. Since we don't feel what other's feel, we tend to minimize the negative effects we have on others, and consider our thoughtlessness to be benign. An angry outburst is regarded by some as a creative expression. Disrespect is viewed as helping the other spouse gain proper perspective. And a demand is nothing more than encouraging a spouse to do what he or she should have done all along. None of these is seen as one spouse gaining at the other's expense, because the spouse who is inflicting the pain does not feel the pain. But whenever one spouse is the cause of the other's unhappiness, one thing's for sure -- Love Bank withdrawals are taking place.

I call all the ways that spouses are inconsiderate of each other's feelings Love Busters because that what they do -- they destroy the love that a husband and wife have for each other.

I've found that the most common Love Busters in marriage fall into six categories: Selfish Demands, Disrespectful Judgments, Angry Outbursts, Annoying Habits, Independent Behavior and Dishonesty

The first three of these Love Busters are instinctive, yet thoughtless, ways to try to get what you want from each other. When a request doesn't work, a spouse will often revert to a demand ("I don't care how you feel -- do it or else!"). If that doesn't get the job done, a spouse will try disrespectful judgments ("If you had any sense, and were not so lazy and selfish, you would do it"). And then, when all of that fails, an angry outburst often represents the last ditch effort ("I'll see to it that you regret not having done it").

Of course, demands, disrespect and anger don't really get the job done. You generally don't do things for your spouse because of these Love Busters, you do them out of care and consideration. If your spouse is demanding, disrespectful and angry, you tend to be less caring and considerate, leading you to do less for your spouse. Instead of giving your spouse what he or she needs, demands, disrespect and anger cause you to resist. I want you to have what you need in your marriage, but demands, disrespect and anger will not get it for you. They will prevent you from having what you want if you revert to these destructive instincts.

But when you indulge in these three Love Busters, you do more than fail to get what you need -- you also destroy the love your spouse has for you. All of these instincts, and the habits they help create, cause your spouse to be unhappy, and that causes Love Bank withdrawals.

The fourth Love Buster, Annoying Habits, is behavior that is repeated without much thought that bothers your spouse. Marriage is a partnership of incredibly close quarters, where just about anything you or your spouse does is almost sure to affect the other. If you want to stay in love with each other, your habits, even the innocent ones, should make Love Bank deposits, not withdrawals.

The fifth Love Buster is Independent Behavior, the conduct of one spouse that ignores the feelings and interests of the other spouse. If your decisions are made as if your spouse doesn't even exist, you will find yourself running roughshod over your spouse's feelings and your Love Bank account. Since it's usually scheduled and requires some thought to execute, the simplest way to overcome it is to take it off your schedule. And if you follow the Policy of Joint Agreement, Independent Behavior will never find itself on your schedule in the first place.

Finally, the sixth Love Buster, Dishonesty, causes massive Love Bank withdrawals whenever it's discovered. And spouses usually discover each other's dishonesty because of their emotional closeness to each other. If you or your spouse have a tendency to lie or distort the truth, chase that bad habit out of your marriage before it ruins everything.

If you would like to identify Love Busters that are responsible for Love Bank withdrawals in your relationship, first read a summary of each by clicking their names listed below, and then click this name, the Love Busters Questionnaire , and print two copies of the form, one for you and one for your spouse. After you have completed this form, the priorities you give each Love Buster will show you where to begin in sweeping these rascals out of your lives.

Selfish Demands
Disrespectful Judgments
Angry Outbursts
Annoying Habits
Independent Behavior
Dishonesty
If you have a few extra minutes, The Parable of the Net will help show you how Love Busters destroy marriage.

The sixth Love Buster, Dishonesty, is so important to overcome in marriage that I have given it a basic concept of it's own. After you have had a chance to read it, I think you will agree with me that it deserve special attention.

NO WHERE in your original post did you ever mention the pain you are causing your husband by maintaining a fantasy about a long lost love. It hurts him. It is dishonest. It is independent behavior. Love buster.

We've all done this.
We can stop doing this.
It is a choice we make.
It is a behavior we can change.

Pep

Pepperband #2094681 07/20/08 11:14 AM
P
P
Taken from the Harley quote above and set aside for emphasis:

And that's what I always seem to be battling when I try to encourage one spouse to avoid doing anything that would hurt the other spouse. I cannot seem to trigger empathy. Each spouse complains about how thoughtless the other spouse is, without much awareness of his or her own thoughtlessness.

Pepperband #2096209 07/22/08 03:53 PM
F
F
I'm going to threadjack for a second here.....

When I came here the first time four years ago, a post from Pep was one of the first things that I saw. It was just what I needed to read when I needed to see it most.

Here I am, four years later, totally different circumstances, and BLAM - a post from Pep, exactly what I needed to see at just the right time.

Thank you.

FIM

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you are not willing to move your feet.
faithinme #2097499 07/24/08 10:07 AM
P
P
smile

TKonczal #2112144 08/18/08 10:11 PM
I
I
It seemed we were soulmates, but I know fantasy can really get going. I am committed to loving and staying with my DH, but the loneliness I feel and the regret (what if...) is always there.

Must be similar to what went through Eve's mind when she was considering whether or not to eat the forbidden fruit. I would leave the 'fruit' alone and study contentment.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 672 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation