Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
voivod Offline OP
OP Offline
V
ok, i have previously posted a very detailed backstory to my current separation so i hope not to belabor the point here.

i am 46, wife is 38. i met her at our work while she was attending college. *she new i was previously married (one child)when we met*, she pursued me pretty hard, i fell in love pretty quickly.

so, i did something that triggered her to flip out, leading to her moving out. no "other man",
zero adultery, her attitude was/is just "i don't want to be married to someone who doesn't value whay i've done for you."

of course, i am trying like hell to keep this together. i'm just looking for some help.

first, i have genuinelty apologized and have been attending aa. 78 days sobriety! God has become a big part of my life. so has honoring my wife and doing my very best to tend to what i've learned are her emotional needs.

so...she has been inviting me to do things with her. recreational dates i'll call them. walks along the river, lunch in the park during her break from work, movies, renting dvd's and watching them at her apt., and i'm loving it! gives me a good chance to use what i am learning.

i don't want to be separate any more than the next guy, but i think it's doing some good. my questions are:

1) do you see the hope that i feel?

2) does this look like a salvageable situation?

3) what can i do further to expedite the healing?

thank you in advance.

*edited to clarify previous marital situation

Last edited by voivod; 08/04/08 05:58 PM.
V
voivod Offline OP
OP Offline
V
scares me, y'all, when no one responds. am i asking the wrong questions???? gets me stinkin thinkin!!!

that's ok, the answers are coming in. i saw my psychologist today. he said THERE IS HOPE.

he explained that "these are only my observations based on the facts, but she's still inviting you into her life. she still loves you."

"there is still hope" i've learned thru the stroke recovery, doctors don't like to over-promise.

"what i'd like to do is get you on the book (ten days to self esteem) and see you next week"

and again, when everything seems the darkest, something good happens. my phone just rang, it was my wife, such a sweet tone of voice. God I love her.

btw, last night, she took a picture of me and looked at it and looked at me and she got a twinkle in her eye. even my sister noticed it. i think I'M falling in love again~!!

P
P
i was married when we met

This may be why not many are posting to you. It sounds as if your current marriage began as an affair. If I'm wrong, I apologize for the assumption. If I'm right, as a BS, I know I personally have a hard time helping anyone with a marriage that started as an affair and tend to stay away from those threads. Just thought you'd like to know.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
I
iam Offline
I
I agree with princessmeggy.

You ended your real marriage and are now in an Affairage. You got what you deserve.

Karma bus I believe many call it.

S
S
This may be why not many are posting to you. It sounds as if your current marriage began as an affair. If I'm wrong, I apologize for the assumption. If I'm right, as a BS, I know I personally have a hard time helping anyone with a marriage that started as an affair and tend to stay away from those threads. Just thought you'd like to know.

PM, you stole the very words out of my mouth.

V, is this the case? Did you D your former W to M your current W?

All Blessings,
Jerry

V
voivod Offline OP
OP Offline
V
jerry, let me answer your q's first.
1) no
2) my first marriage ended in D, then this relationship began.

sorry for the confusion. i'll edit my original post to clear it up.

i found what the original source of confusion may have been. in my original post,
i said:

"we met at work in 1988 while i was still married to my first wife"

i didn't say:

"we began having a relationship while i was still married."

this one sentence fragment doomed me in the eyes of some members here apparently.

i met her, we were family friends, i divorced, we dated, we married.

Last edited by voivod; 08/04/08 06:17 PM.
C
C
Have you read the material here about Love Busters and Emotional Needs?

V
voivod Offline OP
OP Offline
V
interestingly enough, question i had...what are en's (found the quiz) thank you. me & clinical psychologist talked in depth about ens today. thank you.

C
C
From what I've learned, stopping your Love Busters (things you do that annoy your spouse) and then meeting your spouse's Emotional Needs (what he/she needs from you) is the KEY to a good marriage. You should BOTH be doing this for each other. If you do, great times ahead. Read up!

V
voivod Offline OP
OP Offline
V
THE FOLLOWING IS TO CLARIFY AN ERROR IN ONE OF MY PREVIOUS POSTS. APPARENTLY MY HONESTY IS BEING CALLED INTO QUESTION. I HOPE THIS SETTLES IT: We met at work (my ex, me and future wife all worked at same place. we were all friends AND ONLY FRIENDS) at the time. i divorced in december of 1998 , me & future wife moved to new mexico, ex moved to washington. i lived in new mexico(then pennsylvania) WITH my future second wife. we lived together unmarried, we moved back home to the northwest and away from the crime of philadelphia with our first child and married november of 1991.
(also marshmallow, i just quickly skimmed thru my previous post to find the error as i was home from work grabbing a lunch and was running late on the way back. yep, i'm back to work after 6 months!!!stroke. thereby, i missed the other sentence which you so observantly brought to my attention)

NOTE: i was not intentionally trying to be deceptive. believe me when i say that i would not lie about having an affair to make it sound like i did. thank you for pointing this out to me. i'm almost sure that wife reads this site too. and she knows the reference to my nickname so she'd know "voivod" was me.

BYW, she just called me again (after another lovely evening together laying in the grass at the park and a quick dinner at her apt.) to inform me that she is gonna coach my son's sports team this fall and that she'd like ME to help her asst. coach!!!! yippee. she's giving me a chance. pray for me that i don't miss=step (i won't)

NOTE: I spill my guts here, make a chronological mis-step and i get ignored? i'm on an emotional rollercoaster and i'm lookin for a little support. have none of you been thru a reconciliation? what does it look like? am i near the right track?

Last edited by voivod; 08/05/08 08:58 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted by voivod
THE FOLLOWING IS TO CLARIFY AN ERROR IN ONE OF MY PREVIOUS POSTS. APPARENTLY MY HONESTY IS BEING CALLED INTO QUESTION. I HOPE THIS SETTLES IT: We met at work (my ex, me and future wife all worked at same place. we were all friends AND ONLY FRIENDS) at the time. i divorced in december of 1998 , me & future wife moved to new mexico, ex moved to washington. i lived in new mexico(then pennsylvania) WITH my future second wife. we lived together unmarried, we moved back home to the northwest and away from the crime of philadelphia with our first child and married november of 1991.
(also marshmallow, i just quickly skimmed thru my previous post to find the error as i was home from work grabbing a lunch and was running late on the way back. yep, i'm back to work after 6 months!!!stroke. thereby, i missed the other sentence which you so observantly brought to my attention)

NOTE: i was not intentionally trying to be deceptive. believe me when i say that i would not lie about having an affair to make it sound like i did. thank you for pointing this out to me. i'm almost sure that wife reads this site too. and she knows the reference to my nickname so she'd know "voivod" was me.

BYW, she just called me again (after another lovely evening together laying in the grass at the park and a quick dinner at her apt.) to inform me that she is gonna coach my son's sports team this fall and that she'd like ME to help her asst. coach!!!! yippee. she's giving me a chance. pray for me that i don't miss=step (i won't)

I'm not trying to be a wiseacre here, voi, but you divorced in 1988 and not 1998, right?

smile

Charlotte

L
L
Well, he met his current wife in 1988 while he was still married to his first wife. He states that he and his second wife co-habitated for three plus years. Then they got married in 1991.

Voi, You say that there was no "affair" between you and your second wife while you were married to your first wife. But you also say that your second wife persued you heavily. With all of this and considering the years involved, it sure sounds like at least an emotional affair while you were married to your first wife--doesn't it?

Considering the problem with alcohol, I just thought it might be good to get everything accurate relating to this relationship with your second wife. I am not saying that there was emotional adultery, but it is difficult to get a picture of this, considering the dates without thinking that there was something going on between you and your second wife while you were married to your first wife.

No disrespect intended, just trying to get an understanding of all of this.

Lake
BW-53
FWH-54
H had EA 3 weeks 06
Married 1977

N C 4-10-06
3 DSs
In Recovery
V
voivod Offline OP
OP Offline
V
divorced in 1988, before i grew these fat fingers!!!

D
D
Originally Posted by voivod
divorced in 1988, before i grew these fat fingers!!!

Awwwwwwwwww.... smile

Well, if they are fat they will get a LOT of exercise here with all of the typing! wink

Charlotte

V
voivod Offline OP
OP Offline
V
i don't know how to characterize the period of time that we were friends, because she (my current wife) was a friend of the family. there was an emotional bond. between us all, i guess.

i just wanted to hear your opinions on the chances for reconciliation, if i made a chronological error in posting facts, it was not an attempt to deceive. pleeeeeeze help.

V
voivod Offline OP
OP Offline
V
charlotte,
as you see it, do these things seem a sign of a second chance? or am i hoping beyond hope. your opinion matters.

D
D
There's always hope. Of course there are no guarantees but you know that already.

If you are that determined then start Plan A-ing your butt off. It's a start.

There are people here who have spouses who were serial cheaters. And they turned it around. So anything is possible.

So, how 'bout Plan A, then?

Charlotte

V
voivod Offline OP
OP Offline
V
charlotte,
i have the utmost confidence that there is no infidelity. isn't plan a & plan b is for instances of infidelity. your ball.

L
L
Plan A and Plan B are useful for any ad all marital problems when one spouse wishes to address their part in the marital breakdown.

Recovered marriage, recovering self, life gets better everyday laugh
V
voivod Offline OP
OP Offline
V
charlotte,
i'm sorry, i read about plan a. how might i implement it given my circumstances?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (NewEveryDay), 1,357 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation