Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
M
Originally Posted by Krazy71
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Don't squander your credibility defending losers like Edwards, Krazy, he is not worth it.

I guess you didn't see my last post...the one where I said I wasn't defending Edwards.

Yes, I did see your last post. And I laughed.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

K
K
What was funny?

Divorced
T
T

K
K

Now THAT'S funny. laugh

I get that same chuckle when someone refers to McCain as a "hero".

Divorced
M
M
This reminds me of my cousin, Joe Don. When we were young teens, my grandpa took us out to the farm. My cousin Joe Don went into a shed and came out a while later.

He came out with a GAS RING around his nose and mouth from a gas can. Apparently, he had been "huffing" gas in the shed.

We never told him. grin Everyone except Joe Don knew what a fool he looked like that day. grin

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

T
T
Originally Posted by Krazy71
This isn't a partisan issue...there's no way to make it one.

I get that same chuckle when someone refers to McCain as a "hero".

And yet you're the one who keeps dragging Edwards' political opponents into this latest convo. Repeatedly. And you have yet to explain how Mccain's lack of hero-ness or [censored] Cheney's hunting mishap...or Newt Gingrich, Mark Foley, Bob Livinston, etc...make a hair's worth of difference to this situation. How does the fact that someone else--ANYONE else--screwed around make John Edwards any less of a liar and a cheat? Your posts contradict themselves, since I see no reason for you to bring these people's sins into the dialogue except to attempt to make political points.

When Neak was a baby, and I was plotting with an inmate of the Washington State Penitentiary to kill her father for his insurance money, or later when I tried to sell my soul to the devil in exchange for his death, nobody else's bad behavior exonerated ME for what I tried to do. And there was certainly plenty of bad behavior going around in the early 70s, too. What I did wasn't mitigated by the fact that I was a child of missionaries, either. If anything, my previous life style and protestations of belief made what I did worse. As a former pious fraud, I can still recognize one when I see one...and I don't care what his political persuasion is.

Last edited by thndrnltng; 08/08/08 06:01 PM.
B
B
His statement -

In 2006, I made a serious error in judgment and conducted myself in a way that was disloyal to my family and to my core beliefs. I recognized my mistake and I told my wife that I had a liaison with another woman, and I asked for her forgiveness. Although I was honest in every painful detail with my family, I did not tell the public. When a supermarket tabloid told a version of the story, I used the fact that the story contained many falsities to deny it. But being 99% honest is no longer enough.
I was and am ashamed of my conduct and choices, and I had hoped that it would never become public. With my family, I took responsibility for my actions in 2006 and today I take full responsibility publicly. But that misconduct took place for a short period in 2006. It ended then. I am and have been willing to take any test necessary to establish the fact that I am not the father of any baby, and I am truly hopeful that a test will be done so this fact can be definitively established. I only know that the apparent father has said publicly that he is the father of the baby. I also have not been engaged in any activity of any description that requested, agreed to or supported payments of any kind to the woman or to the apparent father of the baby.

It is inadequate to say to the people who believed in me that I am sorry, as it is inadequate to say to the people who love me that I am sorry. In the course of several campaigns, I started to believe that I was special and became increasingly egocentric and narcissistic. If you want to beat me up - feel free. You cannot beat me up more than I have already beaten up myself. I have been stripped bare and will now work with everything I have to help my family and others who need my help.

I have given a complete interview on this matter and having done so, will have nothing more to say.

B
B
"But being 99% honest is no longer enough."

HUH????????? That's word for word what my cheating ex said.

And I doubt that he told his wife in 2006. He's trying to save face. Besides, it appears that the affair has continued.

I feel sorry for his wife, especially after his claims about his wonderful marriage.

I
iam Offline
I
McCain is a hero due to what he did as a soldier. I may not like his choices in his personal life but I would never disparage a veteran who gave up those kind of years for his country.

It's a slap at all veterans.

G
G
Ah my favorite, a (semi) political thread, a feast of strawman arguments and sweeping generalizations. I reckon I'll provide a few of my own.

I'm reading the Edwards story and looking back over the last several years, and comparing different stories, and something seems odd:

I can't think of a Democratic politician who's had a high-profile affair who is now divorced from his BS or married to his affair partner. Except possibly a homosexual here or there.

And I can't think of a Republican politician who's had a high-profile affair who did not divorce his spouse and marry his affair partner. Except possibly a homosexual here or there.

I'm not implying anything. My own political prism and memory could be responsible for this impression. But I'm just taking inventory and that's what I'm seeing.

In any event, "they" are not "all the same".

And in some peculiar way, maybe it actually is a partisan issue.

Divorced July 2005 "The idea that God acts in fits and starts, moving atoms around on odd occasions in competition with natural forces, is a decidedly uninspiring image of the Grand Architect." -Paul Davies
T
T
From an AP article today, 8-8-08:

In 1999, when Edwards was a senator, he said of President Clinton and his affair with Monica Lewinsky:

"I think this president has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen."

Breathtaking, indeed...

M
M
Even though JE has admitted his affair, I am certain that in some way...Karl Rove is responsible for his infidelity.

Wow...what a shocker.

P
P
Originally Posted by thndrnltng
From an AP article today, 8-8-08:

In 1999, when Edwards was a senator, he said of President Clinton and his affair with Monica Lewinsky:

"I think this president has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen."

Breathtaking, indeed...

Ha laugh Ha

I just popped in here to quote this exact same 1999 remark that Edwards made.

This reminds me of that "pedestal" discussion that we had some while ago ....

Last edited by Pepperband; 08/09/08 01:29 PM.
gc:

Our mayor, Villaraigosa, is a democrat who's now divorced over his affair.

But he's an unrepentant philanderer (and a rather s2pid one at that). I'm not convinced that Edwards is.

-ol' 2long

M
M
I don't think its a virtue to stay married at any cost, so that is hardly anything to brag about. Sometimes the most virtuous thing is divorce. Nor do I think its a "family value" to stay married to a sexual predator with a long history of serial adultery, sexual harassment. I have a hard time respecting any woman who would stay married to that.

Even so, I think we would all be better off if we did a better job of choosing people to lead who have the character and integrity to do the job.

Exposure 101

T
T
Originally Posted by 2long
But he's an unrepentant philanderer (and a rather s2pid one at that). I'm not convinced that Edwards is.

Not unrepentant? Not a philander? Not stupid? Which are you unconvinced about?

Just curious...

G
G
Let me reiterate.

I'm not implying anything.

Originally Posted by thndrnltng
Originally Posted by 2long

Not unrepentant? Not a philander? Not stupid? Which are you unconvinced about?

Just curious...

1st. He at least sounds repentant (though the upstanding thing 2 have done would have been 2 admit the affair publicly, not just 2 his family, particularly since he's a public figure).

I don't think he's a philanderer (multiple affairs), but he might be. I don't think he's s2pid (but he may be just proud and clever enough 2 have gotten in2 trouble).

Villaraigosa is dumber than a sheet of 11/32" CDX plywood.

-ol' 2long

Last edited by 2long; 08/10/08 12:59 AM.
T
T
From today's newspaper:

Hunter - who had no prior video or production experience - incorporated her company, Midline Groove Productions, just five days before the committee cut her first check.

Don't know who to give credit to for this masterful bit of truth-in-advertising, Rielle Hunter or Karl Rove.

M
M
He at least sounds repentant (though the upstanding thing 2 have done would have been 2 admit the affair publicly, not just 2 his family, particularly since he's a public figure).

are you kidding? He confessed this to his wife in 2006. Two months ago he was in her hotel room at 2:30 am! That sounds repentant??? Come on 2long.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 870 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation