Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
M

Well, general update, and overall a good one.

We exchanged our ENs last night as per Jennifer. A few surprises for me, but nothing that isn't doable or attemptible at least.

We clashed a bit over SF frequency but agreed that this is a near term and long term issue and we both have to compromise a bit until I calm down.

So...session with Jennifer Sunday night, we'll see how that goes.

PS: had some nagging questions I had to get cleared up about the A and got the right answers, or at least answers that didn't hurt any worse.

I'll answer the other posts separately.

catperson #2118682 08/30/08 08:11 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by catperson
mike, are you like this in other aspects of your life? Were you like this as a kid? I'm talking about the righteousness and swift, deliberate execution of penance. That's not a criticism, but an observation. I see so much of it in you, and it makes me wonder if that is simply a reactionary self-protection mechanism you learned in childhood. Something that worked then, but that may no longer be appropriate. I get the sense that, at least pre-A, you know what you want, you take it, and you accept nothing less. Some would call that aggressive, others tenacious. It's a great way to get the best parking spot, but I wonder if it's the right approach in your R with your wife.

My H is somewhat like that - swift and deliberate - and frankly, it distances me from him; keeps me from trusting him to be there for me, because I fear that if I don't offer him what he wants, it'll be me paying the price. So he doesn't get my affection/trust/loyalty, as I'm always waiting for the axe to fall.

What do you think?

Hi cat,

Well, jeez I guess that is something to think about, but given this unprecedented situation in my life I think I'm not behaving outside the norm, and probably much better than the norm.

Mike_C2 #2118685 08/30/08 08:14 AM
J
J
quote]We clashed a bit over SF frequency but agreed that this is a near term and long term issue and we both have to compromise a bit until I calm down. [/quote]

I read somewhere that for men, sex releases some hormone (endorphins? or maybe the hormone women get when breastfeeding?) that gives the feeling of closeness and bonding, but women can get that same hormone release in several different ways. Hence the need from the guy's POV for more frequent sex to bond, often.

I can see that this might be one reason you want/need sex so often right now. Maybe knowing this will help her be even more enthusiastic. There's also at least one thread about how the guy felt the need to "reclaim" his wife through SF.

me - 47 tired
H - 39 cool
married 2001
DS 8a think
DS 8b :crosseyedcrazy:
(Why is DS7b now a blockhead???)
(Ack! Now he's not even a blockhead, just a word! That's no fun!)
jayne241 #2118686 08/30/08 08:15 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by jayne241
I can certainly understand why you'd rebel at her wanting to get the family life to simply go back to normal - act as if it never happened - it did, and there are consequences. Your feelings are valid, you've been hurt deeply, she can't just pretend that never happened...

...typical wayward-speak to want to just get back to normal.

It's your raging Taker that scares me though. I'm sorry you're hurting so. I'm glad you're working with Jennifer Harley and talking to her pastor. I'm glad you recognize that you're letting your Taker rage. Do you think it helps you? (not being sarcastic) Do you think you will get to the point where it's more important to you to achieve happiness in your life than to punish WW? Whether that happiness is through R the M or through letting go.

That is an issue with me, although it is fading. She rarely shows any emotion anywhere in her life. So I really don't see any price paid by her emotionally. She'll relate it in a business-like manner, her friends and family look at her differently, she is sorry she hurt me, etc, but no damage to her soul it seems in comparison to this huge wound to mine.

But, as JL said earlier in this thread, do I want damage to her soul, or do I want to be happy in a "new" marriage with her?

Mike_C2 #2118689 08/30/08 08:17 AM
J
J
If the other FWW here are any example, she WILL eventually feel remorse.

I pray that day comes, and soon.

Meanwhile, I don't think you being vindictive, mean, etc., will hasten that day.

me - 47 tired
H - 39 cool
married 2001
DS 8a think
jayne241 #2118691 08/30/08 08:23 AM
M
M
I read somewhere that for men, sex releases some hormone (endorphins? or maybe the hormone women get when breastfeeding?) that gives the feeling of closeness and bonding, but women can get that same hormone release in several different ways. Hence the need from the guy's POV for more frequent sex to bond, often.

I can see that this might be one reason you want/need sex so often right now. Maybe knowing this will help her be even more enthusiastic. There's also at least one thread about how the guy felt the need to "reclaim" his wife through SF.

I think we aired out both those concepts, but also wrapped around it is our own history. For many years she felt pushed into too much SF, and got pretty withdrawn about it. When we knocked it back to around once a week she started initiating and was a lot more enthusiastic. And that was okay for me, quality over quantity when things were peaceful.

So that is the real toughie for me this week. I want to have sex twenty times a day, I guess for the reasons you state. She says she is at risk of burning out and becoming reluctant/non-passionate/whatever.

That happened once last week and I tell you it was a major LB to me, I really crashed hard and re-thought the whole reconciliation.

So we are working out compromises and I'm trying to hold back the frequency demands a bit. Plus she is doing some stuff that makes me very happy. None of your business :-)

jayne241 #2118693 08/30/08 08:27 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by jayne241
If the other FWW here are any example, she WILL eventually feel remorse.

I pray that day comes, and soon.

Meanwhile, I don't think you being vindictive, mean, etc., will hasten that day.

I agree that me being mean would be exactly counter-productive to that goal, if it is a goal, which I guess it shouldn't be.

If she ever does feel remorse in her soul she would be the last person on earth to let anyone know through a real emotive outburst, though. I mean, she says all the right things now, it was a stupid mistake, she has to live with the consequences, she feels like an "ex-con"...etc, but it seems to come from the head not the heart.

I'm thinking of getting some XTC. :-)

Last edited by Mike_C2; 08/30/08 08:29 AM.
Mike_C2 #2118696 08/30/08 08:36 AM
J
J
Plus she is doing some stuff that makes me very happy. None of your business :-)
think :MrEEk: faint

hurray

me - 47 tired
H - 39 cool
married 2001
DS 8a think
Mike_C2 #2118847 08/30/08 06:10 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by Mike_C2
If she ever does feel remorse in her soul she would be the last person on earth to let anyone know through a real emotive outburst, though. I mean, she says all the right things now, it was a stupid mistake, she has to live with the consequences, she feels like an "ex-con"...etc, but it seems to come from the head not the heart.

Mike in my experience, a fully repentant FWW will torture themselves for a long time over having an affair. My wife is still struggling with forgiving herself after 3 years - and she knows I have forgiven her and God has forgiven her. FWW's don't have an easy path.

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
Mike_C2 #2120055 09/03/08 07:41 AM
C
C
So that is the real toughie for me this week. I want to have sex twenty times a day, I guess for the reasons you state. She says she is at risk of burning out and becoming reluctant/non-passionate/whatever.
You're aware, aren't you, about how most women need to be 'made love to' rather than just getting it on? In other words, what else are you doing for her that makes her want to have SF with you? Are you helping her put up laundry? Are you fixing things around the house? Are you sharing kitchen duty? Are you going on walks with her? Holding hands? Playing cards together? Going to movies?

All these types of things are the real foreplay for women. Sure, the SF, but if the rest isn't happening, we do, indeed, often feel like just a vessel for men. She needs to feel like you're interested in her whole person, in being around her, doing things for her, caring about her health, etc., and not just happy that she's willing to 'do it' with you.

catperson #2120376 09/03/08 01:53 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by catperson
You're aware, aren't you, about how most women need to be 'made love to' rather than just getting it on? In other words, what else are you doing for her that makes her want to have SF with you? Are you helping her put up laundry? Are you fixing things around the house? Are you sharing kitchen duty? Are you going on walks with her? Holding hands? Playing cards together? Going to movies?

All these types of things are the real foreplay for women. Sure, the SF, but if the rest isn't happening, we do, indeed, often feel like just a vessel for men. She needs to feel like you're interested in her whole person, in being around her, doing things for her, caring about her health, etc., and not just happy that she's willing to 'do it' with you.

Yes, you make a good point, although I just put up a post in EN called "Sex Question For Women" that I'd like your opinion on.

Events are moving so fast it is hard to relate them all here. I just found renewed contact, also in another thread.

Mike_C2 #2128691 09/17/08 03:38 AM
R
R
****edit****

Last edited by Dufresne; 09/17/08 04:04 AM. Reason: TOS Violation - Harassment
raven11 #2128744 09/17/08 08:16 AM
M
M
Are you helping her put up laundry? Are you fixing things around the house? Are you sharing kitchen duty? Are you going on walks with her? Holding hands? Playing cards together? Going to movies?

You know I've been thinking about this for a while now. I keep hearing about how women are turned on by a guy who helps around the house and takes care of the dishes...

OM did none of that. Not one time did he wash a dish, mow the lawn, cook dinner for her, help with laundry...

I would guess that the romantic walk in the park while holding hands was in play, but when it comes to helping around the house or anything along those lines, it never happened.

OTOH, I have done my own laundry for years, did the kids' as well for most of our marriage and do hers about once per week. I do the real cooking for the most part, do dishes at least sometimes (keep in mind that we have a grown daughter living with us with her daughter.)

So while I see this in books from Dobson to Smalley I wonder if it really has any bearing whatsoever. Are women turned on by a guy doing dishes or is the quintessential OM too hot to ignore (anybody see the movie Unfaithful?)

If all this is true how does one explain the fact that a woman having an affair will often practically attack her lover in a public place while telling her husband to wait till later when he tries to pat her on the butt because he thinks she looks good? Or how is it that a WW will rut in the back seat of a car like a teenager while telling her husband that the stress of the party they are going to is too much and she doesn't know if she'll feel like it later when he tries to steal a glance at her legs as she gets into the car? Why would a grown married woman send naked pictures of herself and poems that she wrote just for him to a lover when her husband seldom gets an email or SMS telling him to pick up milk on the way home from work?

Just wondering...

Sorry for the tj.

Mark

Last edited by Mark1952; 09/18/08 05:24 AM.
Mark1952 #2128747 09/17/08 08:22 AM
M
M
If all this is true how does one explain the fact that a woman having an affair will often practically attack her lover in a public place while telling her husband to wait till later when he tries to pat her on the butt because he thinks she looks good? Or how is it that a WW will rut in the back seat of a car like a teenager while telling her husband that the stress of the party they are going to is too much and she doesn't know if she'll feel like it later when he tries to steal a glance at her legs as she gets into the car? Why would a grown married woman send naked pictures of herself and poems that she wrote just for him to a lover when her husband seldom gets an email or SMS telling him to pick up milk on the way home from work?

frankly, based on my experience and time on this site, I would suggest that a lot of WS have a rather whorish side of themselves that they attempt to subdue in their marriages.

It is right for men to help out and respect their wives. Unfortunately, many owmen prefer people that treat them like a piece of meat....while they are ringing the "come and get it" bell. Go figure.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 610 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation