Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
rockets Offline OP
OP Offline
R
My husband of 14 years (but we have been together for 24 years) left me in May and now wants a divorce. I do not want it but I also do not want the man he is today back. I think he is going through a mid life crisis. He is 42 but is trying to act like a 25 year old. He has moved in with 3 other young single guys.

We are catholic and I really want to work on what is wrong, but he is telling me that we were just never meant to be togehter and that he does not think we should have even gotten married, that he felt pressured into it. I do not beleive that. We spent so many happy years and we were inseperable.

We had a child (who has ADHD and is not the easierst to deal with at times (10))when he was a fulltime student, then he got a sales job that kept him away long hours and 7 days a week. Well he moved up the ladder and then even longer hours. He always felt like he had to go out with the boys and unwind (younger ones) and I was never included (how could I be with a baby at home to take care of). I think after so many years of that it really wore our marriage down.

I love him so much, but I want the guy I meet 24 years ago back and I do not think that is possible.
Oh did I tell you we are still sexually active together becuase he tells me he is not seeing anyone and I have no interest to even think about someone else in my life.
I have been seeking counceling but I am just lost. He now thinks we should sell the house because he can't afford to support us but where are we suppose to go, and in this ecconomy?

I am just lost and do not know where to turn!!
I know there has been other people out there that have gone through this, but I can't find anyone.

J
J
Sounds like he is in the fog.:(
My cousins H did this. He screamed mid-life crisis and was so cruel to her. She tried everything for so long but finally called it quits when his "girlfriend" was sneaking up at night leaving notes on his truck.
Eventually,he woke up but it was far too late. It took too long. By the time he woke up,SHE had changed. She tried to get those feelings back and they tried letting him come back to live the life they once had. He did well and was happy to be back. But,during this phase,he had been so cruel,something in HER had changed. She didn't love him anymore and they eventually divorced. He's a broken man but she's gone on with her life. She is not dating and there is no OM. Just something in her died during this time and now,she has her own life.
You are getting counseling? That's good.? It must hurt so bad and I do feel so badly for you. Sometimes,I think people come out of their mid-life crisis, sometimes it takes a long time and some never come out of it. I know you must be in shock.
Do not let him blame you for ANYTHING,like being pressured to be married. This is HIS decision and he must take responsibility for his action,something that's not done when they are in the fog. There is nothing wrong with you.
He may never come out of it. Your counselor may be able to help him. IMO,"giving him room" will probably not work. It just gives him more time to be cruel.
Only when THEY start facing the music for what they are doing may they wake up.
My son's ex-wife tried to tell him he could do this and he couldn't do that. But he wouldn't put up with that. He moved out and withdrew all their money from the bank. (I'm not saying this is what you should do). In our state,it's no fault. That means she was responsible for all the bills. I would suggest you consult an attorney and not let him know it. You must know your rights and not let him bully you.
I don't know why people who do this think THEY can call all the shots. When my son got his attorney and knew his rights,then her nightmare began. Know your rights and do not let him bully you and tell you what to do. Also, NO MORE SEX. You keep doing that and he has the best of both worlds. It's your low self-esteem and shock doing that to you. He can NOT live in both worlds. Also,is HE seeing someone? My bet he is. You should get tested for STD's and so should he,something he probably won't do.
He can't afford to support you? Maybe he should have thought of that first.
Is he physically abusive? If so,be very careful.
But he should not have both worlds.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation