Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
That's a very good point to emphasize Delta and I don't think it's this thread that I said it on but it's why "no contact" can't just be considered an "event"...instead it's a lifelong commitment that must also entail a PLAN to be effective in order to minimize...

Originally Posted by DeltaDriveDeceipt
Contact of any kind will cause suffering. It is a fact.

For example...even though it's been 9 years and for all practical purposes you KNOW it's not going to rekindle...do you have a plan in place for the unlikely event that your husband runs into her at say, the grocery store or airport?

What's he supposed to do?

The ANSWER - DO NOT SPEAK TO HER. Literally get away from her proximity as fast as reasonably possible and call your BS immediately. Hiding the contact to protect your spouse would be a HUGE mistake....just call and share it and together we'll get through it. ****

You see ANY COMMUNICATION even just a polite "hello...how are you, good to see you, gotta run" carries with it a distrustful glow. The BS wasn't there. They will trigger and regress back to the DDAY and their imaginations will fill in the gaps. The will wonder things like:

1. Did (fww/fwh) say more and they aren't telling me?
2. Did they exchange business cards, emails or new telephone numbers?
3. Was the "contact" arranged?
4. Did they tell me EVERY SINGLE WORD exactly as spoken and in the order spoken (this alone is reason to run away without saying anything because rarely are conversations remembered PRECISELY and any change WILL be noticed by a NOW hyper-focused and aware former Betrayed Spouse)?
5. What non-verbal communication went on (what were they doing with their eyes, did she/her smile, wink or anything, did you check her out, what was she wearing, what were you wearing, did you touch her, did she touch you?

The speculation becomes endless and the "SUFFERING" will be evident.

MOST recovering couples aren't aware of this. Only being here on MB would really make any one aware that "no contact" really goes beyond just ending it and requires a plan. Without a "no contact plan" the tendency of most persons is to be polite. If they don't have a clue they are SUPPOSED to run away...they'll freeze while they consider what their options are and process WHAT TO DO.

If you have a plan in place...processing isn't an option.

RUN AWAY and DON'T SAY ANYTHING. Being rude to the OP is FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR better than causing your spouse to suffer.

Mr. Wondering

***Any any Former Betrayed Spouse whose Former Wayward Spouse calls them immediately to report contact but that they responded according to the plan should be commended and NOT punished. This is practicing extra-ordinary precautions at it's utmost limit. How you respond to your FWS at this moment is CRITICAL to recovery. If the contact was truly accidental and such spouse responded according to your plan then you have absolutely nothing to be upset with him/her about. You MAY trigger a bit having the OP in your proximity and "suffer" a bit with flashbacks of dday but TRY not to take it out on your marital team member that stuck to your marriage's playbook. He/she is the good guy now.

FBH(me)-51 FWW-49 (MrsWondering)
DD19 DS 22 Dday-2005-Recovered

"agree to disagree" = Used when one wants to reject the objective reality of the situation and hopefully replace it with their own.
D
D
Thanks for that, Mr. Wondering. Excellent points. And yes, my H does have a specific plan in place for both former OW and her husband, which he developed with guidance from Steve Harley.

Some others (in this case my family but in other cases might be coworkers or common friends) will likely not understand the "rudeness" and may think it's unnecessary, but that's only because they don't understand the triggers. They don't understand the suffering even an otherwise "innocent" exchange can cause.

FBW in recovery
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for posting this, Delta! I agree with you that this reason for nc, the welfare of the BS, tends to be under-emphasized. Thanks for making that point so eloquently.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

T
T
"However, my H's A started and ended 9 years ago. I learned about it only this year, yet I believe with everything in me that the A would not have started up again. It didn't start up again for 9 years, and there are many reasons why I firmly believe it just would not be rekindled. I could be wrong, but I don't think so."

No you are probably right. However your case is the exception not the rule. The odds are an affair will restart without NC.
Affairs have restarted affair seeing an old flame after 20 years of NC.

T
T
Even if one has a case where the affair will not restart with contact, why keep the OP around to rub in the BS's face?

M
M
Originally Posted by TheRoad
Even if one has a case where the affair will not restart with contact, why keep the OP around to rub in the BS's face?

Excellent point!!

ManInMotion
===========
(see "MiM's Story" for more details)
D
D
Originally Posted by TheRoad

Exactly the point that I was making ... and exactly Dr. Harley's #2 reason for NC.

FBW in recovery
J
J

Hello Delta,

As I am in the same situation with my relatives as you are I was wondering if you had any feedback from your relatives after your radio discussion with Dr.Harley?

If so, what he had recommended for those of us dealing with affairs in the family such as mine with my wife and my brother on how to make the family understand why there has to be no contact?

Did you have a chance to visit with your parents about the rapist analogy and what their response was?

I keep getting the "you need to just forgive him (they actually want reconciliation) and I have explained the difference and why can't you tolerate it just for one day of the event"...

I also am curious what he recommended for the one in a lifetime events such as weddings and funerals?

Mrs.Flint and I are doing absolutely great but my father and my brother's children just DO NOT understand WHY we can't all just kiss and makeup. crazy

Thanks.

Jim

FWW 48 had EA and PA affair with my brother which ended in 2006. Me BH 53. Happily recovering with a new and better marriage through MB!!! My thread - http://www.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2110024#Post2110024
M
OP Offline
M
Jim, her radio segment is here: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/radio_programs.cfm

Do a search for 10/11/2010 and hers is the first 2 segments

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J

Thank you so much Melody! smile

Jim

FWW 48 had EA and PA affair with my brother which ended in 2006. Me BH 53. Happily recovering with a new and better marriage through MB!!! My thread - http://www.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2110024#Post2110024
D
D
The concept of NC for life with a former affair partner seems to be a universal recommendation made by all marriage counselors. In fact, I haven't found anything written by anyone who does not recommend NC for life.

So in addition to Dr. Harley's excellent advice posted on this thread, here's more insight on the reasons for NC:

*****edit******

Last edited by JustUss; 11/20/15 04:10 PM. Reason: not MB advice

FBW in recovery
S
S
Originally Posted by blindsidedbetty
Just wanted to say that by the time i found MB, OW had been fired and was no longer physically at the workplace and they still stayed in contact thru e-mails, phone. that was hard enough to get over when he finally agreed on NC. he felt it was unnecessary because she was gone and contact seemed to die down. he was in the "just friends" fog, hell he even made plans with her husband to fix the brakes on her car.

Just bumping this thread to add that the above quote brings up a good point --
a promise to implement NC is not enough. EPs MUST be followed through on, i.e., changing the conditions which led to the affair AND eliminating temptation to resume the affair/contact wherever possible.

It also brings up the point that until the WS has come out of the fog (maybe even for a period of time after), very close monitoring is necessary until you have ensured that the affair is dead. The addictive nature of affairs is so powerful that a BS has to assume there will be a strong temptation on the part of the WS to resume contact for a period of time. (e.g., if it was an internet affair, key loggers must be installed on computers, etc). Better safe than sorry!

So often this step is skimmed over -- the BS desperately wants to believe the WS will keep their promise of NC -- but the rest of the program will not work if there is any further contact, even one sided contact (this includes looking at momentos from the affair, pictures, looking at the OP's FB page, etc), so it cannot be emphasized enough.

So the next step after reading this thread would be reading HPB's Extraordinary Precautions thread -- really these two go hand in hand, Step 1 of recovering from an affair.

Extraordinary Precautions

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
B
B
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Some radio sessions with Dr Harley with callers who ignored this step:

Case #1 "There is no hope of recovery as long as the affairees still see each other. No hope."

...........this next radio clip is the typical outcome when a couple does not move away from the OP. [when they live close by] This WH, Bob, and his OW lived a mile apart and the affair has been on and off for 3 1/2 years. The BW is now divorcing him and their little boy is severely depressed. This is what happens when one ignores Dr Harley's recommendations for NO CONTACT FOR LIFE. We have seen this happen over and over again on the SAA board over the years.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 672 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation