Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Anyone know of the best and safe "online service" to do a background check on someone?

K
K
If you're willing to spend 15-20 dollars, Intelius will usually do the job. Google them...it's hard to even do a search on background check services without inadvertantly coming across them.

Divorced
J
J
Hi Ladysheep!

I don't have a recommendation for you, I just saw you and wanted to say HOWDY!

Me-41 BS (FWS)
DH-41 WS (FBS)
2DD's- 10 and 12
Married 15 years
Separated for 2 years after my A
Reconciled for 1 year before his A
D-day for his A 8/23/05
WH moved out 9/16/05
Divorce final 1/23/07
Affair ended or month or so later
My Story
L
OP Offline
L
H O W D Y Jean.... I think there's a bad guy around, and I need to do a background check on the lying crook. He just happens to be supervising the visit on Wed. nights w/ ds and his dad. But a lot of what he's said doesn't add up. Such as living in NY state, but he was driving with a NC license plate on one vehicle and a NH license plate on his other vehicle. Then I questioned him why is he driving with out of state license plates on both vehicles. (he is transporting my child around w/ dad so I have a right to know)
He said because he is "clergy" he can get a license in any state he wants. What arrogance!! Well I asked another pastor and he said not true, he would have had to live in those other states, with an address in that state to have a license there. So what is this guy? Who is this guy? My husband met him at church, and wanted him to supervise one of the visits?

Well the guy hasn't liked me since I questioned him, and is causing major problems with visits and court. He only showed up for 6 visits since Dec., and is lying in court. For calling himself a REV. he sure lies alot. I think he's a pretty shady guy....so I need to find out more about him.

J
J
Hmmm, I don't have much advice. I do know that North Carolina has an online offender search to see if someone has been incarcerated. I would think that most states have online searches for child molesters/sex offenders.

But as far as the paid sites, I have never used one.

Oh, I have also found out stuff by checking the tax assessors web site, it is online in some counties in my state. You can find out who owns what property. (That is how I finally got my exH address-through his GF's property tax record).

Last edited by Jean36; 10/07/08 03:55 PM.

Me-41 BS (FWS)
DH-41 WS (FBS)
2DD's- 10 and 12
Married 15 years
D-day for his A 8/23/05
WH moved out 9/16/05
Divorce final 1/23/07
My Story
J
J
Is there a clergy licensing board? Does he claim to have a social work background. Professional licenses have an online search in my state.

Me-41 BS (FWS)
DH-41 WS (FBS)
2DD's- 10 and 12
Married 15 years
D-day for his A 8/23/05
WH moved out 9/16/05
Divorce final 1/23/07
My Story
L
OP Offline
L
Thats a good question...I'll see if there is a clergy list in my state.
I wonder how I would look that up?
I know he is in the phone book here in the white pages...listed as Rev. He has no affiliation with any church...he goes to a few churches. He has no church of his own. He's weird.

Thanks Jean.

Last edited by ladysheep; 10/07/08 05:10 PM.
J
J
Just quick googling and I found the West Virginia site for minister license check.

But, since you can get ordained online, that doesn't mean much.

Me-41 BS (FWS)
DH-41 WS (FBS)
2DD's- 10 and 12
Married 15 years
D-day for his A 8/23/05
WH moved out 9/16/05
Divorce final 1/23/07
My Story
J
J
http://www.op.nysed.gov/opsearches.htm

Professional license search for New York

Me-41 BS (FWS)
DH-41 WS (FBS)
2DD's- 10 and 12
Married 15 years
D-day for his A 8/23/05
WH moved out 9/16/05
Divorce final 1/23/07
My Story
L
OP Offline
L
I'm still looking...can't find anything. I don't believe he's schooled in social work at all. I'm wondering if there is a local clergy list somewhere. If anything... I'll ask the other pastor I asked about his license plates. I know there is local clergy meetings, and I found out he doesn't attend them.

L
OP Offline
L
I've been told he's on disability SSI for fibromyagia. I don't think he's really held a job anywhere around here. But the weird thing is is that he sure travels alot for being on disability.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks jean...no he's not on that list. I don't believe he has a professional license anywhere. Thanks anyways, it's always good to have the verifying sites to professionals in the state.

G
G
LS,

Don't discount general purpose search engines like Google btw, use whatever data you have in various combinations. For example use a number of keywords related to that person. If you know he's into Soccer, Running, might be named "Tom Creep", try running a search in Google using quotes as above, if his name is uncommon it can pull in results really quickly.

Also search for keyword combinations like <Marathon Creep> <Soccer Creep> etc. Locations really help too if you find out he lived in XYZ Ohio, do a search on <XYZ Creep> <XYZ Ohio> quite a few small town newspapers etc put content on the internet, also Church websites are a good place to data mine <baptist Creep XYZ>.

If you know the make and model # of his car it might have been purchased on ebay some time ago, and that sale might still be on record with Google. Small chance I know but you got to keep blood hounding.

NJ

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks New Jersey...good ideas...I'm still bloodhounding...

Next, I think I'll google "fraudulent ministers"

K
K
In our state we can call the state police or a prison and find out...you need his name and approximate age, they will know if he has been arrested and what for.

Enacting life's lessons into positive change... .
K
K
Originally Posted by ladysheep
Anyone know of the best and safe "online service" to do a background check on someone?
You did not state your purpose. For example are you a landlord, lender, or employer (e.g. hiring a babysitter, nanny, or gardener), then the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) would apply. In that case, you need to get the written permission from the applicant in order to purchase a background check on them. However, if you are not a lender, landlord, or employer, then you can run a background check on anyone without getting their permission. I'm going through a dating phase after a bad breakup, and I started doing criminal background search on guys before I go anywhere alone with them, or get serious with them. I used BackgroundSearch.com about 4 times, and they only billed my credit card for the amount they quoted. I hope this helps.

B
B
I used intellius. It costs some money to get a background check. Also check out the Megan's law sites to make sure he isn't a sexual predator, and your county court may have a site where you can look up arrests or cases online, just by his name.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation