Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
M
You will do anything to get them...

The FIRST time???? But there is NO addiction yet...right?

M
M
How do you KNOW this about chocolate? A guess?

No, actually it is less of a guess than the addiction theory. The same chemicals released when one is in love or infatuated are also released when eating chocolate.

Q
Q
sorry, not buying it.
OK kiss

The act of crossing that line was premeditated and made while fully AWARE. Every action they take AFTER the addiction takes hold and fog is in full swing is made on the same basis. An intentional, aware choice they know is wrong.
Absolutely they know it's wrong. I knew it was wrong to lie, cheat and steal from my job. But I did it anyway.

I was so unhappy in myself. I was so desperate to escape the "reality of life". I didn't learn surviving tools that were healthy ways of dealing in life. Then I became addicted to drugs and though I got sober, I still didn't learn my lessons in life in how to handle life on lifes terms. I handled problems selfishlessly even though I knew they were wrong.

I didn't care, I wanted to feel better. I was stealing money to pay for food for my kids. The stealing was wrong, the justification to feed my kids was a lie because I was spending money irresponsibly to fix my pain inside and my kids suffered, so the justification and the high I got from getting away from it was on.

Was it wrong, yes, I knew it and didn't care. I was just doing what I wanted to do.

BS 52, FWH 53, Married 1-1-84
D-day 5-14-07, WH moved in with OW
Plan A 9 months, DARK Plan B 3-17-08 until 3-2-09
WH and OW broke up 1-09
Started over 7-09
M
M
Originally Posted by medc
How does an alcoholic become an alcoholic?

I think I read once that some people due to genetic make-up were predisposed to alcoholism. Some people didn't have to drink a lot before becoming addicted to alcohol.

I am probably predisposed, but they have never proven a genetic link. Even so, anyone has to drink ALOT to become addicted. Being predisposed is not the same as being addicted. No matter why a person is that way, they have to start somewhere.

I just don't buy into the addiction or fog argument. I sincerely believe it is a concept to help the BS get past the horrible choices that their partner made.

But MEDC, Dr Harley says that. I say that. Steve Harley says that. None of us are invested in any way in this belief. My only interest is truth. My H was not addicted; he was just a bad man.

And I don't see how this belief would help a BS get past it. HOW??

I know that you know full well that WS' are foggy. Don't even tell me you have not read their nutjob posts on this forum. I have seen you spin out just reading some of the crack pot posts they post here.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
You will do anything to get them...

The FIRST time???? But there is NO addiction yet...right?

The first time what?

Again, the choices that you make to begin the affair are NOT the addiction...The addiction comes AFTER those SELFISH, THOUGHTLESS choices are made...

You walk into it thinking that you can handle it (really it doesn't occur to you that you are even "handling" anything)...that it's just conversation and for me "reminiscing" since OM was an ex-boyfriend...then a little further in, that it was just some "harmless flirting"...I thought that nothing would come of talking in "what ifs" and "remember whens" with OM...He lived 750 miles away from me...Mr. W knew that I was talking to him...I didn't get that what I was doing was "BAD"...I didn't realize I would stir "feelings" by doing this...that I would get "hooked" on those "feelings"...

Look the rational, logical side of me saw OM as "icky"...Nowhere close to the man that Mr. W was/is...Was WAY less intelligent, WAY less educated, made WAY less money, didn't have a good sense of humor, was shy (not my cup of tea), had little, if any, respect for women, was an open RACIST - which I abhor...He was living w/ his parents at age 36 for crying outloud!!! And yet STILL I had an affair with him...Um, crazy? Ya think? crazy

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

M
M
How do you KNOW this about chocolate? A guess?

No, actually it is less of a guess than the addiction theory. The same chemicals released when one is in love or infatuated are also released when eating chocolate.

Dude, I don't think I could eat that much chocolate in a lifetime...I'm sure glad of that too! grin

Not to mention that I'm not guessing as I have both eaten chocolate and unfortunately had an affair...

Mrs. W

Last edited by MrsWondering; 11/06/08 03:22 PM.

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

K
K
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
krazy, I don't think you have the slightest idea what an addiction even is and that is the source of your misunderstanding.

For example:
Calling it an addiction takes some of the blame off the WS when they are "in its grasp".

This is your own misunderstanding about the nature of addictions. YOU have said it takes the blame off the WS. This is YOUR own misconception, and no one elses. It does NOT take the blame off the WS. It does not take the blame off the alcoholic. It does not take the blame off the dope head.

Then why are WSs always going on about how "I wasn't myself"? It's a blatant attempt to reduce the maliciousness of what they've done. Statements like "I don't know what I was thinking" are an attempt to pacify their own conscience, or to diminish the act in the eyes of others, even if they claim to accept 100% responsibility for their actions.

More misunderstanding about what an addiction even IS. Addiction is not defined by puking or cold sweats. HERE is the def of an addiction:

WordNet - Cite This Source - Share This addiction

noun
1. being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming (especially alcohol or narcotic drugs)
2. an abnormally strong craving

It's not abnormal to crave sex with a wide variety of partners. As a matter of fact, it's encoded in our DNA to do exactly that. So, sleeping with other people, even while married, is not an addiction. It's a choice.

No one ever said they WEREN'T clear headed and very aware of every decision. YOU SAID THAT.

What about the fog? Alien abduction? Either they are clear-headed, which means NO fog and NO alien abduction, or they weren't clear-headed, which most here seem to believe.

I don't just mean they are clear-headed at the start of the affair. I mean before, during, and after the affair. Clear as a bell.

In short, krazy, you are making false claims about the addiction and then rejecting it on that basis. That is called a STRAW MAN ARGUMENT. None of the attributes to which you assign to addiction are EVEN TRUE.

I've already addressed how the desire to cheat isn't an "abnormally strong craving", therefore not an addiction. It's a perfectly normal craving that we can all choose to act on or not.

My knowledge or lack of knowledge about addiction, about which you have no idea, is irrelevant because we're not talking about an addiction.

As a recovering alcoholic I will tell you that the addiction of adultery is just the same. Saying you know better just because you have drank and used drugs does not qualify you as an expert on addiction. It is ridiculous to say you know about addiction just because you have drank.

This made me laugh out loud. My drinking doesn't validate my opinion, but yours does? Please.

It's really a moot point, since we're not talking about an addiction, anyway.

So, you might not believe it, but anyone who has experience or expertise will easily refute your claim. Your claim is not based on any experience, facts, logic or evidence - theirs IS. The experts will tell you it is REAL and recovering addicts will also say the same thing. Former waywards who have nothing to gain by lying will also agree that it is an addiction.

Well, YOU couldn't easily refute my claim. My claim IS based on personal experience and evidence, and my posts on this thread are filled with logic and opinion...I won't go tooting my own horn and call it "facts" as a few others might.

I don't know what addicts you are referring to...I've never claimed alcoholism, for instance, isn't a real addiction, and cheaters aren't addicts...so who's going to tell me the "facts"?

Former waywards have plenty to gain by telling others...and themselves...that they were in the throes of an addiction. They weren't thinking clearly.

Dr. Willard Harley, clinical psychologist with 35 years experience and former owner of a chain of treatment facilities for alcoholics:
For many, that means a move to another state. But to do otherwise fails to recognize the nature of addiction and its cure.

[quote] An affair is usually more than a choice, it's usually an addiction. Even though your husband knows what he should do, he will have great difficulty doing it, because he's addicted.

I just want to emphasize the following FACTS about the addictive nature of affairs:

1. affairees are 100% responsible for their affairs.

2. affairees are fully aware of their decision to commit adultery

3. an addiction is not defined by puking, etc but by an abnormally strong craving

4. defining behavior as addictive DOES NOT MEAN THE PERSON IS NOT TO BLAME

Then I will have to respectfully disagree with Dr. Harley. 35 years of experience doesn't make you correct 100% of the time in any field.

1. I agree

2. I agree

3. I agree. As I've already stated, the desire to sleep with new partners isn't an abnormal craving at all, therefore not an addiction.

4. I agree.

And as far as the "fog" goes, it astonishes me that anyone can deny the existence of FOG after they read the wacked out, loony logic of waywards on this very forum. These people are practically retarded. The reason they are so nuts is because they live in a state of altered reality because they have to bastardize reality to justify their crimes. How any sane person can deny they are nuts is beyond me. We have whole threads of the loony stuff that waywards say. So, the rejection of FOG just amazes me.

The "fog" isn't really a fog, or an altered state of mind. "Fog" is a very misleading and inappropriate word where infidelity is involved.

It's the garbage that one spews, through words and actions, when they are trying to defend an indefensible position.

Like when a vase is broken, and your 5-year-old tells you a convoluted story about how it's all the fault of the cat. Are they in a fog, or simply trying to defend an indefensible position?

It's not crazy, it's not looney, and it's not insane. It's stupidity, immaturity, and desperation.

Divorced
M
M
I know that you know full well that WS' are foggy.

I don't see them as foggy...I see them as evil. I always have said here that a WS is a BAD person...and that they can become a good person by changing their actions. I do NOT think WS are foggy.

And I don't see how this belief would help a BS get past it. HOW??

By making it seem like it is a trap anyone could have fallen in. If you will recall, I don't buy this line of thinking either.

I think the Harley's plan is the best out there. I do not buy 100% of their concepts though (an exceptionally high %, but not all).

B
B
I don't buy the addiction theory to explain the "fog." When I use the term "fog" in my posts it is nothing more than my FWH's [censored] up, demented, and twisted thinking. He was not addicted to OW and therefore, had zero withdrawl from her. I can understand the need for some BSs to see it as an addiction as a coping mechanism.

I never wooed my H back to me with Plan A. In fact I kicked his [censored] relentlessly for weeks and months after dday and I'm so glad I did because I don't have the feeling of being second best to skankho. If life with me is such he// and OW is all that and he can't possibly live w/o her, then get the [censored] out!!!! What made the difference for me to try and recover the M was that with all my DJs and AOs, FWH took it and didn't run away. Not buying into the addictiveness of the A fog is why I struggle with my decision to stay at times and struggle with the resentment and the issue of forgiveness...a good man who made a bad decision or a bad man just showing his true colors???

Upside_Down,
On dday, I was crushed. I thought that H MUST HATE me to be able to have an A and do the things he did. But even at my lowest, I knew deep down what my worth was/is and it certainly isn't beneath a low life POS like OW. You will get there one day.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
Originally Posted by Krazy71
Well, YOU couldn't easily refute my claim. My claim IS based on personal experience and evidence, and my posts on this thread are filled with logic and opinion...I won't go tooting my own horn and call it "facts" as a few others might.

of course you wouldn't, because your opinion is not based on any facts, evidence, reason, logic, or practical experience. And I appreciate that you admit that. Like I said before, you don't understand the NATURE of addiction and because of same, have attributed many false characteristics. That is called a strawman argument.

Then I will have to respectfully disagree with Dr. Harley. 35 years of experience doesn't make you correct 100% of the time in any field.

Nor does ZERO experience, education, and understanding make you correct either. smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I know that you know full well that WS' are foggy.

I don't see them as foggy...I see them as evil. I always have said here that a WS is a BAD person...and that they can become a good person by changing their actions. I do NOT think WS are foggy.

But the two are not mutually EXCLUSIVE. They are evil. And FOG describes the state of mind that serves to RATIONALIZE the IRRATIONAL. They are BOTH, IMO.

Exposure 101

M
M
Mel, I have locked up a-0holes that rationalized the irrational. I wasn't going to assault her...I just wanted her wallet...that is her fault. No addiction or foggy thinking. A clear minded rationalization to help mitigate some of their horrible actions.

Sorry, I just see it as evil and not foggy. I know the Harley's know their stuff...but they also are here to save marriages and IMHO, this concept helps them do that.

While I do think they are right most of the time, they have made errors...such as NOT spelling out the STD issue...and leaving foggy the idea of meeting emotional needs (which include sex) during an active affair.

I think I understand their logic and if it helps someone through an affair, well, all the better. I just happen to not agree with this concept.

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by rprynne
Especially since my wife has pretty much admitted she thought her feelings were real towards the OM.

Yes, so the point is why did she have "real" feelings. You feeling second best seems to imply that you think it is due to some "magical" quality about the OM. This is buying into the fantasy.

The reality is she felt that way because she invested in it. If she invests in you/your M, she will one day say she realizes that her feelings towards you are "real".

Here's my issue. What if the OM, besides having an A, does really have good qualities and is more compatible with your WS. I mean there are lot of people on this planet. Not every OP is the scum of the earth dirt bags who have no attractive qualities to offer. I kind of wish that was the case with this OM. But I knew this guy. Its just not the case. I mean they are having A so that is extremely bad character trait but it it doesn't take away the fact they may be funny or good looking, etc. For example, in my situation my WW enjoyed talking on the phone for hours with the OM. He worked part time so had plenty of time to talk with her. And he was good at conversation. BS kind of stuff. Definitely more so then me. That's just reality. Even before the A my wife and I would struggle sometime to talk on the phone for 15 minutes. Yet she could talk with him for hours upon hours about nonsense. And she even admitted to me she misses that (not the OM necessarily but just being able to talk with someone like that because we can not talk like that). My fear is that no matter how many lovebank deposits or plan A or whatever, I can't change the fact that the OM was better at conversation with my WW then I am/was. That makes him better then me at that and that's why I feel 2nd best in this regard. Unfortunately for me conversation seems to be pretty high on a women's EN list and I feel like a lot flows from that - love, sex, etc. Its very hard to accept.

BH - me. 35
WW - 31
DD - 3
DD - 4
DS - 7
Married 9 years
D-date - 9/12/2008
EA - ~9/06-9/08
PA - 9/07-9/08
NC #1 - 9/15/2008
Broken a couple of times
NC #2 - 11/8/2008 - Hopefully the last time
In recovery....but not easy
M
M
Originally Posted by black_raven
I can understand the need for some BSs to see it as an addiction as a coping mechanism.

How exactly would that HELP a BS "cope?" crazy How would that make anyone FEEL BETTER? It would not make me feel better. Knowing my H had an "addiction" to a person would make me FEEL WORSE. MUCH WORSE. crazy

Seems that calling it an "addiction" would make it MUCH HARDER to cope, so I dont' understand this.

I do not say it to help me "cope," but because it is true. And I sort of doubt that Dr Harley says it because it helps him cope.

Exposure 101

K
K
of course you wouldn't, because your opinion is not based on any facts, evidence, reason, logic, or practical experience. And I appreciate that you admit that. Like I said before, you don't understand the NATURE of addiction and because of same, have attributed many false characteristics. That is called a strawman argument.

My opinion is based on facts, evidence, reason, logic, AND practical experience. I admitted nothing, so you've created a strawman argument yourself.

You have no idea how well I understand addiction. You assume you know better ***edit***

Nor does ZERO experience, education, and understanding make you correct either. smile

I don't have ZERO experience, education, or understanding, ***edit***

***edit***

Last edited by Maverick_mb; 11/06/08 04:14 PM. Reason: Tos violations - disrespect, namecalling, personal attack

Divorced
M
M
Any person in an affair is a dirt bag. The fact that they may be attractive or talk a good game doesn't detract from that.

Their conversations were high schoolish. It was a fantasy.

U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Originally Posted by Upside_Down
I almost feel like I'm the runner up prize.

Do you know your own value?

Probably not. We got married young. Never really dated on whole lot of women. Neither did she. Probably looking back not the greatest thing but didn't think it mattered. I was one of guys who didn't mind being married. The single life while fun was never quite as fun as it seemed like on TV.

BH - me. 35
WW - 31
DD - 3
DD - 4
DS - 7
Married 9 years
D-date - 9/12/2008
EA - ~9/06-9/08
PA - 9/07-9/08
NC #1 - 9/15/2008
Broken a couple of times
NC #2 - 11/8/2008 - Hopefully the last time
In recovery....but not easy
M
M
***edit***

while I agree with you on this topic...drop the implied name calling.

Last edited by Maverick_mb; 11/06/08 04:22 PM. Reason: removing previously edited quote
M
M
Mel, I have locked up a-0holes that rationalized the irrational. I wasn't going to assault her...I just wanted her wallet...that is her fault. No addiction or foggy thinking. A clear minded rationalization to help mitigate some of their horrible actions.

That criminal was not fogged out? I don't believe that fog has to come from addictions. I think fog comes from an agenda to commit EVIL. They fog comes when people try to rationalize wrongdoing. Instead of changing their behavior, they ALTER REALITY. My definition of FOG is an altered reality that people create who are in VIOLATION of thier consciences.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Krazy71
I don't have ZERO experience, education, or understanding,***edit***

Losing an argument 101: when the FACTS won't serve to defend your position, call your opponent names :RollieEyes:

Last edited by Maverick_mb; 11/06/08 04:25 PM. Reason: removing previously edited quote

Exposure 101

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 258 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker
71,841 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation