Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 61 of 100 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 99 100
T
T
Originally Posted by Neak
Gotta fix that quick, AW!

So, basically you're advising a quickie?! faint:MrEEk:blushblush:MrEEk:faint

T
T
I'm about to slay the fatted soy turkey. Well, technically, all I have to do is make gravy. 4 different kinds! Egg/mushroom, egg/no mushroom, vegan/mushroom, vegan/no mushroom. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only 2 times, in any given year, that I cater to the dietary whims of certain family members. The rest of the time, they can just lump it. (THEY get the lumps, not the gravy!) Also, shickabobs, as certain juvenile members pronounce it. The Dervish, when not working on his mama's Christmas present, can skewer the "meat" on sticks. It seems a singularly appropriate task for him! rotflmao

Happy Thanksgiving.

tl

A
A
Hope all of your Thanksgivings are WONDERFUL :gobblegobble: :happythanksgiving:

I'm glad you are all so amused at my dietary restrictions crazy

I want a Mars bar ...... deep fried laugh slobber blush

A bit on the serious side .... Mrs VDK took the day off today. one of Jonny's mates was killed, a Commando. 2 others wounded. He just needed some TLC... even if he didn't know he needed it. :RollieEyes:
God I want my son home by Christmas. That would be a great Christmas present. I'm a bit worried they will extend his deployment again. sigh us mummies are having anxiety attacks blush

on the home front ........ SOME men should not be left alone without adult supervision ... really .... :RollieEyes: :RollieEyes: :RollieEyes:

hot muggy day .... humid and sticky ... so he sits out the back in the shade on a camp chair...sets up a bucket about 6 m away with water ... starts casting practice with his new super dupa expandable rod .... has Guinness ... or two .... actually 9 tinnies .... somewhere along the way there ...casting away and BANG!!! on the back of his head .... had a XL Jointed Jitterbug (a lure) in the back of his head. ... now thats not the problem .. I mean accidents like that can happen ... especially after 9 Guinness... oh no not that ..... it was when he started to reel it in .............. faint
SIGH :RollieEyes:

Some heartless medico ... I wonder WHO .. burst out laughing as she deftly flicked it out and cleaned up the catch site. stickout

he's back on tinny rations. uhuh

Life may feel as if you are constantly getting kicked on a daily basis, living is about picking yourself up each day and going on and on and on regardless.

C
C
AW, I misread that...you were telling Mr VDK to perform....you weren't saying he had done so. blush

As for Aussie and the lure-thingy.....it serves him right! rotflmao

Schickabobs sounds good. I have turkey, dressing, gravy, sweet potato, and cranberry leftovers. sigh

Went to my mom's this morning and cooked breakfast. Pumpkin Pancakes with Cinnamon Cream Sauce. grin

Children are gone until Sunday. sigh

Tried to hook up the new television last night and couldn't do it....Simply couldn't do it. Physically impossible to do so.....with all the cords going everywhere and I can't move the shelves yet the cords are between the back of the shelves and the wall. (a 7 foot high unit, 8 feet long. 2.5 feet deep, screwed to the wall with two braces, and full of electronics, books, etc.) So, I have no television....NONE...no stereo....NONE! Only a clock/radio/CD player for electronic pleasure. :crosseyedcrazy:

Asked x if he would help us get it all wired together again sometime and he said yes....so, I have to clean up the den and empty the bookcase so it can be moved out. :MrEEk:

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
[censored] to the wall with two braces

Still trying to figure this one out. Typo of "held"? Typo of "shored"?

Our choir thingy was wonderful yesterday. First we sang at the church by the kids' school, then had an afternoon concert, the second one for the local IFF food bank.

Dad joined the choir at the last possible moment, we're talking 20 minutes before the performance, since he knew nearly all the songs and we were in rather bad need of basses. Adorable! And so everyone stayed to listen to him instead of taking all the kids home.

If we can get our hands on a recording of any of it, I'll find a way to get it online.

Afterwards, on our way to Wal Mart, I was teasing the Dervish that he was going to bed as soon as we got home. He began to moan and whine. "Dervish!" I finally had to tell him. "It's only 5:30 pm!"

To a little kid, dark means bed, whether it's 4 pm or 9:30 pm, lol.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
T
T
I finally had to tell him. "It's only 5:30 pm!"

Well, that's your own fault. If you HAD to go and tell him the truth, you deserved to spend an evening with him bouncing his post-cookie-lemonade-and-herbalteawithsugar-self off the walls. You were on a roll there, and fumbled. :RollieEyes:

tl

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hee hee, then we made the mistake of leaving the kids in the car with GP since we were just dashing in to get some pet food, super quick. We won't be doing that again.

When we got out, he'd been threatening to spank them for happily playing one of the big-kid versions of patty-cake. (No clue what it's called - the clapping games that girls often play at recess, and brothers of girls who have no other girls around right then.)

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
T
T
Originally Posted by Neak
leaving the kids in the car with GP

:MrEEk::MrEEk::MrEEk::MrEEk::MrEEk::MrEEk::MrEEk::MrEEk::MrEEk::MrEEk:

Too much adult activity hath addled thy brain. (Given that we're talking about YOU, I feel I should specify that by "adult activity" I meant the concerts! blush ) He isn't even safe being left in the car alone with HIMSELF! :RollieEyes:

tl

S
S
Come on T&L, lighten up. She left the Dervish to watch GP. What more do you want?

SS

I think sometimes about all the pain in the world. I hope we can ease that here, even if only a little bit.
C
C
that word the TOS censored is s c r e w e d.

S
S
Let me say that I meant to do this BEFORE Thanksgiving. I apologizes to all of you who posted your favorites without mine being there - because I really enjoyed reading what you wrote. I know I am late, but here goes anyway.

Do you like whole wheat, or white rolls best?
Wheat

What is your favorite part of the thanksgiving meal?

All of it, I couldn't possibly pick one part as best. It's the whole event.
It's the traditional things, like rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, relish tray (with green olives, which I love) cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, and all the other stuff too. I love it.

Desert stands out as one of the best parts though. This year we had
Pumpkin Pie.
Pecan Pie
Apple Pie
Cherry Pie
Pumpkin cookies
Lots of ice cream
Whipped cream for the pie, if we wanted it. (I wanted it.)

Do you have family Thanksgiving traditions that you would be willing to share with us?

We trade off going with My family, and then my W's family. This year it was to be with her mother, but her mother was traveling, so we gathered with just my children, and grandchildren, not all my brothers and sisters and their families. One son (and family) did not make it, but all the rest were here, and my parents came too.

Tell us what your families Thanksgiving meal usually consists of.
rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, turkey, relish tray (with green olives, which I love) cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, stuffing, Dixie salad, corn pudding, or parched corn, green salad or a variation of it. I think the thing that goes the fastest is always broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce. For some reason the kids love it this way.

I should say something about Dixie salad.
We live in what is known as "Utah's Dixie." This area was settled by people from the deep south that moved here to grow cotton during the civil war. It was called Dixie because most of the people were from the real Dixie. In the early years, all were poor, and they celebrated holidays the best way they could. Most people had a cow, so they could make whipped cream. Most had pecan trees, and most grew grapes and made raisins out of them. Some very good apples are grown in near by towns where it is a little cooler, and most people grew pomegranates locally. A favorite holiday fruit salad was nick named "Dixie Salad." The main ingredients are
raisins
pomegranates
diced apples
pecans or walnuts
whipped cream - lots and lots of it.

We had home made raisins to put in, and we do grow pomegranates. We get pecans from the neighbors, but we actually have to buy apples and whipped cream. This is a favorite of mine, and has been since I was a small boy.
Many people add other things, but I like it as listed.

I love broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce too. We used to use "old English" sharp cheese sauce that comes in a glass jar, but we use Tillmook sharp cheddar now - we just grate the cheese over the veggies, (after the veggies finish steaming) put the lid on till the cheese melts, and serve.

We set up tables in our garage this year. there was enough room for everyone. The bad thing is that I had to clean the garage, but that is the good thing too.

I even scrubbed the floor.

Times are hard. We are having a go-out-of- business-sale where I work. Not sure what I will do when we are finished with it. However, I have a lot to be thankful for. God is still in the Heavens. He looks after us, and helps us. I am thankful for good friends, and for family. I count all of you as friends, and I hope your holiday was a very happy time. I worked on Friday (retail being what it is) but I had Saturday and Sunday off. We did a family hike to some petroglyphs. We had a good time and it felt good to walk, and hold hands with my W. I also enjoyed watching the kids tease each other, and the grand kids run around.

Thanks to all of you who write, I enjoy reading your comments. I wish I was better at this, and could write more often.

God be with you all.

SS

I think sometimes about all the pain in the world. I hope we can ease that here, even if only a little bit.
S
S
One of the things I wanted to hear from Cinderella -

How was the time you spent with your mother? How is she - and I don't mean does her back hurt sometimes. How is she really?

SS

C
C
Took all the ingredients to her house for breakfast and cooked and ate it there. Had a good time. Breakfast was good.....pumpkin pancakes, cinnamon cream sauce, turkey bacon. Left about 11:45 to take children home so their dad could pick them up about noon.

Mom went to my sister's.

I stayed home with the cats and dog. I had a miserable day. Today, my eyes have leaked in the aftermath.

Mom is ok. She can't hear well. She is healthy. Her back hurts. Her short term memory is horrible but her long term memory is pretty good. She sleeps too much. She is loved.

S
S
Maybe I should have asked how YOU are.

I suppose she is doing about like you would expect for her age. Which doesn't make it easy, but it just is.

I am very sorry that you had a horrible day. I thought it was a long shot to invite you, but it was genuine. I wish you had come by, you really would have enjoyed it. The distance thing is a killer though.

It is interesting how we do when we are alone. I once thought I was a loner, but I know now that I am not an Island, and that I do better with others around me. It looks like you are the much the same............. nearly all people are.

Very sorry if I brought back bad memories. Didn't mean to. Hope you know that people care.

SS

S
S
Ps, the breakfast sounds good. Do you enjoy cooking for others?

SS

C
C
Yes. I do. I just hate the clean up. :RollieEyes: Ah, I only wish I could do all the things I would like to. My clutter issue gets in the way of a lot of things.

I suppose my daughter's behavior is normal. I guess I was still licking my emotional wounds from the weekend. She wanted to be at school at 7 this morning and I had to wake her at a little after 6 so she could cop the attitude on me. No wonder I was a bit weepy all day. Really strange for me to do that though.

N
Neak Offline OP
OP Offline
N
He isn't even safe being left in the car alone with HIMSELF!

SS, you got that one right. This is exactly why I left the kids in the car to watch him. :crosseyedcrazy:

Tonight he was watching a Christmas movie with us. One of the commercials was for an upcoming Adam Sandler film, called "Bedtime Stories." "Isn't that the one by Uncle Arthur?" Grandpa wanted to know. No, no, it's not. "But he was the one who did it originally...." Yes, but not those bedtime stories. :MrEEk:

At the choir concert, Mr. C had an unfortunate accident with hot water and his chest. It left quite a red mark, and he was talking about the shape of it. So what shape is it? I asked. "It's shaped like water."

:RollieEyes: :RollieEyes: :RollieEyes: :RollieEyes: :RollieEyes:

~ English proverb

Neak's Story
A
A
SS

I saw your answers mate. think you need to liven it up a bit so I decided to do it for you, no don't thank me its on the house maaaaaaaaaaaate

Do you like whole wheat, or white rolls best?

As long there's meat it between it dunna matter

What is your favorite part of the thanksgiving meal?

well the same as for any meal - eating it and not doing any of the cooking or clean up

All of it, I couldn't possibly pick one part as best. It's the whole event.
It's the traditional things, like rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, relish tray (with green olives, which I love) cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, and all the other stuff too. I love it.

well that was for starters, wheres the 3 roasts of pig, beef and lamb, the barramundi, the crayfish, the prawns - gotta hav prawns, and of course homemade chips not the crappy crinkle cut or french [censored], I mean home made by the missus.

Desert stands out as one of the best parts though. This year we had
Pumpkin Pie.
Pecan Pie
Apple Pie
Cherry Pie
Pumpkin cookies
Lots of ice cream
Whipped cream for the pie, if we wanted it. (I wanted it.)

I canna think the apple & cherry pie, ice cream and cream is ok but where are the pumpkin scones with jam? The pavolva, the trifle- whats sweets without trifle Thats what I want to know

Do you have family Thanksgiving traditions that you would be willing to share with us?

well only when theres a yank mess around and we can sneak in, I know we can ask but it takes all the fun outa it.

We trade off going with My family, and then my W's family. This year it was to be with her mother, but her mother was traveling, so we gathered with just my children, and grandchildren, not all my brothers and sisters and their families. One son (and family) did not make it, but all the rest were here, and my parents came too.

Yeah there times I'd trade off my rellies too mate, want a nagging sister in law? got 3 just pick one, on second thought no let me laugh

A retro :happythanksgiving: to all of youse

Life may feel as if you are constantly getting kicked on a daily basis, living is about picking yourself up each day and going on and on and on regardless.

C
C
That's what that dish was that someone in a store asked me about the other day.....a trifle dish!

A
A
oh my .... I have to remember to log off :RollieEyes:

the Trifle -er strikes again :crosseyedcrazy:

Page 61 of 100 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 99 100

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation