Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2167142 12/02/08 01:26 PM
Y
OP Offline
Y
I have been away from MB for a little while now. I am dating someone seriously for a few months now. I am just having an issue with one particular thing. It doesn't seem as though he truly listens when I am saying something about how I feel about our relationship or if he says a certain comment, if I express my disatisfaction, I am told "that isn't true." I feel as though he disregards my feelings when it comes to me being hurt and when I am ready to give up, he says "Talk to me." He says to me, "I didn't do you anything bad enough for you to be mad at me." I feel as though he belittles my feelings and when something matters to me

We did the EN questionnaire already but it doesn't seem to have made an impact yet b/c LBs seem to be an issue. I feel so unheard.

What do I do? I have tried to give analogies of situations, and I have tried to give examples to him to no avail.

Last edited by youngandlearning; 12/02/08 01:29 PM.

"May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch."
C
C
Welcome back! I'm glad to hear you are doing well.

I'm assuming this is a new guy, right?

Y
OP Offline
Y
It is very nice to be back Cat.

Yes it is a new completely different guy.

"May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch."
C
C
Good! So glad!

Ok. Here's what I see. First, he doesn't sound that great. He probably is just like the last guy you had; we DO tend to keep picking the same types, you know. That's what the counseling is for - to teach you to recognize those self-destructive behaviors we have so we don't pick another loser.

That said, if you haven't dated that long, now is a perfect time to start enforcing your boundaries; if he's an ok guy, he'll go along with it, and if he's another jerk he won't put up with your self-protection and he'll leave. And you'll be better off knowing now than once you're engaged, right?

Remember all that? Determine what you need from a healthy, loving relationship (forget about bf for the time). What would make you happy to spend time with a guy every day? It may help to write it out; keep a little list in your wallet and on your bathroom mirror.

I need a man who:
Wants to listen to me talk.
Shares his own experiences with me.
Likes to try new adventures like dancing or a sport or day trips...
Includes me when he interacts with his family and friends.
Interacts with MY family and friends and doesn't disrespect them.

Stuff like that. Keep it in the back of your mind, and if he crosses one of these things, it's a warning signal. That's when you say "You know, it worries me that when I asked if I could go to the football game with you and Dave and Jane, you said you didn't want me to go. Being excluded makes me feel you only want me at your convenience. So if that's the kind of relationship you want, we need to talk about it. Because that's not what I'm looking for."

Stand up for yourself, and see what happens.

Y
OP Offline
Y
Thanks Cat,

To be honest, I feel like running. Maybe it is because of the last relationship I had. Any thing that goes wrong I am scared to death. I want to just get away from the relationship all together. My solution to it all has been to end it with him anytime we have a disagreement.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation