Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dealan-de #2168672 12/04/08 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Dealan-de
I was also looking through my old Isaac Asimov SF magazines while I was moving and re-read a lovely short story about a gal that gets kidnapped through time.

She goes back and forth, finally ending up 200 years in the future. Most of the Atlantic seaboard is underwater due to the melted ice caps.

Ooo!

That reminds me of another favorite time travel story: "The End of Eternity" by Asimov!

An even bigger favorite is Clifford Simak's "Time and Again."

-ol' 2long

2long #2168676 12/04/08 01:52 PM
D
D
Have you ever read this:

Link to Replay

I think about this book all the time.

There's even a mention of Wookies in it somewhere, if I remember correctly.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

O'hana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

My Story

Recovered!
Krazy71 #2168677 12/04/08 01:53 PM
S
S

I'd go back to sometime between 2 B.C. and 40 A.D., to Israel.

It might take a few attempts, but I'd settle the Christian vs. Atheist debate once and for all.

Wish you could too! But unfortunately I don't think it wouldn't happen.

Jesus himself said:

Luke 16:31

31"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead."

And from a letter found dated back to about 56 AD.

1 Corinthians 15:6

6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.

People didn't even believe eyewitnesses back then, not everyone would believe someone that witnessed it and came back to tell about it.

That's just the nature of the situation where a loving God gives free will to his creation and a persuasive enemy that is bent on keeping them from a relationship with that God.

S&C

No man likes to have his intelligence or good faith questioned, especially if he has doubts about it himself. - Henry Brooks Adams
K
K
My trusty HD camcorder might help back up my story. grin

Divorced
2long #2168686 12/04/08 02:03 PM
K
K
I've read it, but not for about 20 years. I did enjoy it, however.

Divorced
2long #2168709 12/04/08 02:27 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by 2long
That reminds me of another favorite time travel story: "The End of Eternity" by Asimov!

Yeah, that's a good one. That was actually the second "grown-up" book I ever read, back when I was in 4th grade...

Me: 41, INFP
Her: 46, ESFJ
Married 6/95
B-G Twins
4 yrs recovered from serious neglect on my part.
So happy together!
Krazy71 #2168719 12/04/08 02:38 PM
S
S
How would you prove it wasn't doctored? Even if you took others back with you, how would you convince people that it wasn't a conspiracy?

As much as I'd like to see it too; you could not settle the matter, people have been finding reasons not to believe for over 2000 years.

No matter how many miracles, no matter how many changes in behavior, no matter how many lives changed, the masses will look for reasons not to believe.

But this thread's not about that. I'd like the power to stop time at will, so that everyone else with a magic power could use their power forever.

think If I'm only going to have a power for 24 hours, there's not much I can do that's going to have a lasting effect. So why not give everyone time to use their power longer or find others with the power that could help them.

S&C cool

No man likes to have his intelligence or good faith questioned, especially if he has doubts about it himself. - Henry Brooks Adams
P
P
My amazing power would be to be able to carp gold feces.

With my luck, I'd be constipated for the duration. laugh

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
Pariah #2168727 12/04/08 02:46 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Pariah

With my luck, I'd be constipated for the duration. laugh

Don't worry, P...I'll make you ex-lax brownies.

I never had to take the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

My Story

Recovered!
Pariah #2168732 12/04/08 02:51 PM
S
S

With my luck, I'd be constipated for the duration.

Not to worry; with my power I'm sure everything will come out in the end.

S&C

K
K
Originally Posted by steadfast and committed
How would you prove it wasn't doctored? Even if you took others back with you, how would you convince people that it wasn't a conspiracy?

As much as I'd like to see it too; you could not settle the matter, people have been finding reasons not to believe for over 2000 years.

No matter how many miracles, no matter how many changes in behavior, no matter how many lives changed, the masses will look for reasons not to believe.

But this thread's not about that. I'd like the power to stop time at will, so that everyone else with a magic power could use their power forever.

think If I'm only going to have a power for 24 hours, there's not much I can do that's going to have a lasting effect. So why not give everyone time to use their power longer or find others with the power that could help them.

S&C cool

I'll just kidnap Jesus ala "Bill and Ted", bring him here, and take him on the talk show circuit.

On the flip side of what you were saying, people have always found reasons to believe as well, even though there is so little evidence to support them that faith is actually a requirement for them.

It works both ways, I guess.

Divorced
Krazy71 #2168746 12/04/08 03:16 PM
D
D
I've a question, Krazy.

If YOU saw it, would it really matter to you what others believe?

I think the enormity of what I was actually witnessing would be enough for ME, but would it be "enough" for you (or anyone who wants to answer)?

What I'm trying to say is that if I saw it, first hand, I don't think I would feel the need to show everyone. It would be enough that I knew.

I dunno that I could watch the absolute cruelty that people suffered in those days.

I watched a History channel show Sunday about various tortures through the ages and the lengths that humans go to harm other humans was appalling.

Last edited by Dealan-de; 12/04/08 03:21 PM.

My Story

Recovered!
Dealan-de #2168749 12/04/08 03:22 PM
K
K
While knowing for myself would be very satisfying, I'd have to show others.

I guess maybe I'd just go back to the beginning of time...either there would be a big bang, or a deity with a humongous ball of clay and a tight schedule.

Divorced
Krazy71 #2168770 12/04/08 03:44 PM
W
W
I dunno that I could watch the absolute cruelty that people suffered in those days.

I watched a History channel show Sunday about various tortures through the ages and the lengths that humans go to harm other humans was appalling.

I'm with you Kimmy, I would never want to go into the past, any of it. I'd have to go far into the future where people have evolved to much more spiritual beings.

Last edited by weaves; 12/04/08 03:49 PM. Reason: thought better of it and deleted
weaver #2168797 12/04/08 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by weaves
I'd have to go far into the future where people have evolved to much more spiritual beings.

What if they haven't?

Having said that, I don't believe I'm that pessimistic. But I also think that humans have always been spiri2al, or at least have the ability 2 be.

-ol' 2long

Krazy71 #2168816 12/04/08 04:20 PM
H
H
Originally Posted by Krazy71
I guess maybe I'd just go back to the beginning of time...either there would be a big bang, or a deity with a humongous ball of clay and a tight schedule.

There is a lot of evidence favoring the Big Bang. However, I wonder what (if anything) caused the explosion?

Me: 32 BS DDay: 9/14/08
Slowly coming to the realization that I
am one of those who can't get past it.
D
D
or a deity with a humongous ball of clay and a tight schedule.

And the ability to make everything "fit" like a jigsaw puzzle.

My Story

Recovered!
Dealan-de #2168849 12/04/08 04:42 PM
K
K

Considering he's already had to have one "do-over" with our puny species alone, I think it's safe to say that the universe is hardly like the inside of a Swiss watch.

Divorced
Krazy71 #2168859 12/04/08 04:58 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Krazy71

Considering he's already had to have one "do-over" with our puny species alone, I think it's safe to say that the universe is hardly like the inside of a Swiss watch.

Ah, but it is.

Everything fits - at least 'till humans begin fiddling with it all and muck up the works.

My Story

Recovered!
Dealan-de #2168868 12/04/08 05:03 PM
K
K
Galaxies collide. Stars explode. Planets are destroyed by comets. On and on.

Just because everything fits, doesn't mean it always has.

15 billion years is a long, long time.

Last edited by Krazy71; 12/04/08 05:05 PM.

Divorced
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 914 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline, Mike69
71,835 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation