Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
Hi all,
I apologize if this has been asked but the forum search keeps returning a "Database error seen only by admin" error when I try to search.

I have an acquaintance who is in the process of divorce. The STBEX went out and leased a car using the BS SocSec# and forged signature on agreement. Now the lease is up and the vehicle is way over the milage and GMAC is telling the BS she is the liable party. Since the divorce is not finalized and it has been known that this would need to be addressed, the opportunity still exists to deal with the financial aspects in divorce court. Has anyon had any experience with filing police reports or identity theft with the FTC on a not-quite-ex? Is this worthwhile to protect her credit ratings or is this a dead end to consider?

Thanks in advance!

P
P
Ok it's like this.

My ex forged my name on the refi on the house and the judge merely threw it out and gave her the house regardless.

If your friend has the money to spend in researching and persuing it, it will be over the amount owed on the lease.

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
J
J
Hi Regrouping-

I would tell your friend to ignore what GMAC is telling her- as collectors are all about getting money any way they can. She should find out about filing a police report first, now that she knows about the theft. It doesn't matter if her name is on it, if he forged her signature, he committed fraud. That's the first step. Then, she needs to put a fraud alert on her credit report. She only needs to call one of the credit agencies to let them know her identity was stolen and they notify the others.

She also needs to talk to her lawyer about it.

She could check out Zander Insurance. I'm not sure if they can help her with this, but they may be able to give her some advice. They provide identity theft insurance that's really inexpensive. It's not a fraud alert where you get notified if an account is opened in your name. They will do all the work for you if your identity is stolen-from the police reports to dealing with the credit agencies and any accounts. Plus, they repay any money you have lost. Nowadays, it's worth having. I have it for me and both my boys. My oldest son is in college and it could be easy for his SS# to be compromised there. My youngest son is still in high school, but even babies have had their identities stolen.

Hope this helps.

I found a website that has a wealth of information on what she can do. This might give her some help.

http://www.idtheftmostwanted.org/ar..._personallyknow_the_identity_thief.shtml

Last edited by johnstwin; 12/11/08 11:01 PM. Reason: added website link

johnstwin-

"I may not know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future." -Martin Luther

Remarried my FXH 25 years to the day of our first M. God is so good-and sometimes so unexpected!

T
T
My lawyer had me add a clause to my separation agreement to protect me from this. Apparently the most common x/stbx credit fraud is on those do-not-pay-until-xxxx type of loans for furniture and stuff because it takes so long for a bill to actually come in. Sounds like a car lease would be the same thing. It may be worth speaking to your lawyer about it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 594 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation