Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2176391 12/18/08 12:39 PM
G
Gack1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I did not know where to put this, so if it should be moved I will contact a mod to do so. But this is the area of the forum that I am most familure with so I placed it here.

I am absolutely in shock!

My Sister in Law (Wife’s half Sister) has decided to marry a foren man that she bairly knows, who works at (and she met at) a convenience store, so that he can gain citizenship. He is offering her $3,000 and a place to live (with him) as compensation. She is not romantically attracted to him, and thinks of it as a business arrangement.

You can’t make this kinda stuff up folks.

She is 21yrs old, has a 9 month old child fathered by a man who wants nothing to do with his son. She is currently unemployed and is living with me and my W (rent free) She has never had a relationship that I know of that lasted more than a few weeks, and typically falls totally in love with a new guy and then out of love and moves on to a new man every month.

I typically stay out of others business, but I have some serious problems with this newest decision of hers. Telling her my opinion of this from a morals standpoint will do nothing. Besides, her father will do that when he finds out. She seems to think this is a wonderful move for her and her son.

Other than telling her to get out of my home, is there anything that I could say that might prevent/scare her from doing this? Or is it one of those things where I just need to concentrate on my own problems and let her make, and live with the consequences of her own mistakes?

Me 34
WW 30
Abandoned Feb 17th 08, D-Day Aprl 27th 08.
Returned home Jul 7th, OC born 12/30/08
The FOG is clear, and we are in recovery.
P
P
It is illegal.

G
Gack1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Pepperband
It is illegal.
I thought it might be rotflmao

Where can I look to find the law and it's possible punishments?
I imagine it would be a federal law, correct?

That should shut it down real quick.

Me 34
WW 30
B
B
Federal, immigration law. start there.

B
B
She needs to look up the rules and read them. Marrying her will not give the man papers, and he can still be deported. They WILL be married though, unless ICE finds out it was only for money.

Also the going rate is more like $50,000. so she could do much better if she is risking jail to marry this guy.

M
M
Other than telling her to get out of my home, is there anything that I could say that might prevent/scare her from doing this?

Tell her that IF she goes through with this, you will her arrested and him deported. Also, IF she does it, put in an additional call to the IRS as I am sure she will not claim this "income."

Sounds to me that this piece of trash should not be living under your roof...or even having access to your life.

Weed your garden.

G
Gack1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Wow....

For her it would mean up to 15yrs in prison and a $250,000 fine. rotflmao

For him, immediate exportation with no chance of ever returning legally. grin

Now those are laws I can get behind.

That should be plenty to deter her. She probably has no idea it is illegal, right along the fine it carries.

Me 34
WW 30
P
P
Originally Posted by Gack1
Wow....

That should be plenty to deter her. She probably has no idea it is illegal, right along the fine it carries.

PROVING it would be another story, unless you threatened to spill the beans. What is she thinking? Especially exposing her CHILD to this stranger. Yikes!

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
G
Gack1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
What is she thinking? Especially exposing her CHILD to this stranger. Yikes!
Shes not thinking, she never does. The legal punishment should be enough to make her actually think about it.

Some folks think then act.

Some act then think about what they did.

She is in the latter group.

Me 34
WW 30
H
H
Originally Posted by Gack1
Wow....

I can too. However, I can think of a STBX-governor of illinois who tried to sell a senate seat, a hedge fund manager who ran a $50 billion ponzi scheme, upper management at a now US gov't owned insurance company that spent 400K in taxpayer dollars for a spa retreat, and others who should get much worse. Yet, I have little hope that they will...

Me: 32 BS DDay: 9/14/08
Slowly coming to the realization that I
am one of those who can't get past it.
I
I
Well you better realise that you might be considered an accessory to this crime if you allow him to live in your home. Also if he is from a country that is on the terrorist list or if he could be considered a person that needs an extensive background check...i.e. Muslim etc. Just throwing that out there!!!

G
Gack1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by InLikeFlynn
Well you better realise that you might be considered an accessory to this crime if you allow him to live in your home.
No way in this world!!

I made it very clear several months ago that she is not allowed to have any boyfreinds/F-buddys or male "Freinds" stay the night in my home. I do not approve of her relationship choices and she knows this. I can assure you, she will know how much I dissaprove of this new decisiion and that neither she nor him are welcome in my home if she does this.

Me 34
WW 30

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,015 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation