Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Many times - the best reflection of we "normal" humans comes from the eyes of the innocent or the "different".

For example:

Forrest Gump - how he saw the world, his reality, was very revealing about the "normal" folks around him.

Same can be said about "Chauncy Gardiner" from the movie Being There.

Benjamin Button's life experience is so different from "normal" that his story told through his eyes reflects truth in ways we cannot see for ourselves.

Does this make sense so far?

You know the old sayings:

"Youth is wasted on the young"

and

"Too soon old too late smart"

Well, what would happen if .... by the time we had lived enough to gather all the wisdom that comes with experience, we were now younger and healthier and better looking ???

If you knew that after you search and search to find your greatest love, and you know it will hurt so much to lose that greatest love, would you love that person anyway? Is deep love worth the pain of loss?

M
M
If you knew that after you search and search to find your greatest love, and you know it will hurt so much to lose that greatest love, would you love that person anyway? Is deep love worth the pain of loss?

Somehow I get the feeling that Brad Pitt will give us the answer. smile

When I first heard of the premise of this movie I was a bit turned off. I mean, how can they possibly expect to pull this off and have the audience still care about the central figure? It sounded too corny. It seems that I am wrong if I am to believe most everyone who has seen it.

Without giving up to much of the movie, can I ask a couple of questions?

Is this a movie about Button or the people in his life?

Is there a moral to the story?

How do you rank it in the “Pepperband Ranking System”?

Will I be cheering as I leave the theater?

Mr. G

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows," Bob Dylan
M
M
I would NEVER spend a penny to go see this adulterous pig.

M
M
Do you exclude all movies that feature an actor who was engaged in an act of infidelity?

Does the exclusion extend to actors who do not share your political views?

M
M
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodstuff
Do you exclude all movies that feature an actor who was engaged in an act of infidelity?

Pretty much YES for me. If I find an actor/actress morally reprehensible/stupid/disgusting/whatever I don't see their movies because I can't get past that and because if they are pukey people I don't want to give them my money.

But then, I rarely watch movies. I see about 1 movie a year - TOPS. Most are so intellectually/morally retarded that I don't even bother. And tv shows are even worse. One has to have an IQ below 40 to watch most TV shows. [except Reno 911 and Cheaters, of course, dem shows is hilarious! grin]

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

If they are continuing in that behavior I do. BP and AJ are scum and I wouldn't spend a penny on anything they do.

That is not germane to this discussion.

Last edited by medc; 12/27/08 02:59 PM.
M
M
But then, I rarely watch movies. I see about 1 movie a year - TOPS.

I really dig all the arts, film included. I was wondering if Benjamin Button is a work of art. It may very well be, judging by the reviews.

It should be no surprise to anyone that Hollywood is the land of the morally compromised. They are after all, actors that must immerse themselves in the characters that they play. That just has to be a dangerous tightrope to walk. That is their environment that they have chosen. I expect them to be messed up and they seldom let me down. Most can’t protect their boundaries because Hollywood has few boundaries. It takes a special kind of actor to succeed at all levels, not just acting.

I find it much more difficult to watch the actors who see themselves as political activists. That is a real turn off for me. They are only entertainers and I wish they would stick to the role that they are best suited for. I cringe when they get on their soapbox, even if their political view is one I share.

Honestly, I have always felt that being an actor is one of the loneliest professions there is, big highs and huge lows, ugh the money better be good because after that they are not left with much else.

One has to have an IQ below 40 to watch most TV shows. [except Reno 911 and Cheaters, of course, dem shows is hilarious! ]

Now that, IS FUNNY.

Mr. G

M
M
It should be no surprise to anyone that Hollywood is the land of the morally compromised.

I think that wide spread character defect is very evident in most movies today, which is why they aren't really ART, but TRAILER TRASH ART for moral and intellectual midgets at best. For example, take the movie Bridges of Madison County with Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood. It was a beautifully executed movie...........about 2 pigs wallering in the pig pen. The moral and intellectual depravity of the makers came through loud and clear. That is what I see in most movies.

I am not denying that there are some great movies, though. Rare, but true.

I rarely go to the movies anymore; I ended up leaving early because I was intellectually insulted by the beautification of trash.

Whereas, shows like Seinfield, Reno 911, etc, poke fun at mediocrity and moral depravity, because they get it. They don't glorify it, they mock it. Some film makers and tv show makers just don't get it because they are midgets themselves.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for ruining my thread! mad

P
OP Offline
P
When I first heard of the premise of this movie I was a bit turned off. I mean, how can they possibly expect to pull this off and have the audience still care about the central figure? It sounded too corny. It seems that I am wrong if I am to believe most everyone who has seen it.

Without giving up to much of the movie, can I ask a couple of questions?

Is this a movie about Button or the people in his life?

Is there a moral to the story?

How do you rank it in the “Pepperband Ranking System”?

Will I be cheering as I leave the theater?

Mr. G

Normally I would enjoy answering your questions.
But the fun of this thread has been sucked dry.

sorry ............

M
M
:happyholidays: don't be mad to us, Pepperband!!! cry they started it!!

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P
I'm pissed

M
M
sorry frown

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P
If I wrote a post on other topics forum , excited to discuss a book I'd read and the ideas the book gave me - I wanted to discuss the literary attributes of the book - say Ernest Hemingway for instance - would you start posting about Hemingway's adulteries, or his suicide, or his drinking? Would you completely disrupt my desire to discuss the plot of The Old Man And The Sea?

This is just so frustrating to be threadjacked about a topic I choose to discuss because others choose to discuss the actors private life.... START YOU OWN ***edit*** THREAD to discuss the Pitt-Jolie train wreck

This is not the first time this has happened ...

I'm still pissed - I don't hold grudges , and I do not stay mad long ... but I am tired of being a "good sport" about this. TEEF

Last edited by Maverick_mb; 12/28/08 08:50 PM. Reason: profanity
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by medc
That is not germane to this discussion.

Neither is your opinion!

M
M
START YOU OWN ***edit*** THREAD to discuss the Pitt-Jolie train wreck

**edit**

Last edited by Maverick_mb; 12/28/08 08:52 PM. Reason: personal attack
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by medc
START YOU OWN ***edit*** THREAD to discuss the Pitt-Jolie train wreck

I am not a moderator - quit threadjacking!

Last edited by Maverick_mb; 12/28/08 08:54 PM. Reason: removing quote
M
M
You know, Pep is right. She started this thread to discuss a movie and we threadjacked it and made it into another topic. I don't blame her for being frustrated and promise to stop doing it.

Exposure 101

M
M
**edit**

Last edited by Fireproof; 12/28/08 04:06 PM. Reason: personal attack
M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
You know, Pep is right. She started this thread to discuss a movie and we threadjacked it and made it into another topic. I don't blame her for being frustrated and promise to stop doing it.

Mel, the actors are in the movie. I discussed the actors that are in the movie. Discussing Harrison Ford would be a TJ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 555 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation