Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
WH filed last week. And I have been offered a temporary (maximun 9 month) part-time, no benefits job with a previous employer. Will this have a negative effect on me during the D process? Yes, I will be seeking spousal support.

Here's my background -- Last month, I closed my consulting business due to economic times. I started this business 7 years ago when I left a long-term, full-time job and its wonderful benefits.

WH had been supportive of this since I worked only part-time, out of our home, with tax perks. This enabled me to keep up the house, run the kids around to appointments, and take care of all the errands during the day. Everything was great until his A started and my income slowed down due to the economy.

Now that D has started -- I'm worrying about jepordizing spousal support due to this job. Should I take it? Currently, I have no income except I substitute teach once in a while. WH is the source of money for most everything for the house, the kids, and me. He's currently paying all the bills which I expect will stop soon due to pressure from OW. Financial is a major EN of WH.

Also, will I be able to request future health benefits be paid by WH after D? I picked up the whole family's benefits for 16 years with my last job, and WH is picking up the benefits now.

D
D
I'm certainly not an attorney but I wouldn't think that you having a temporary job would affect your spousal support at all. Especially since the D has already been initiated. After all, it IS just a temp job at this point.

If you have an attorney, I might call their office and pose that question to your attorney but I wouldn't think that it would affect anything.

If you have no income, the temp job would be a great help to you at this time.

Ask your lawyer.

H
OP Offline
H
Since this is a temp job, I will be able to end it or cut down the hours at any time. I explained my sitch up front to the boss who is also a friend and she understands completely.

P
P
I'm certainly not an attorney but I wouldn't think that you having a temporary job would affect your spousal support at all. Especially since the D has already been initiated. After all, it IS just a temp job at this point.

I disagree. The POINT of spousal support is usually to provide TEMPORARY support to the spouse who stayed home most of the marriage or has the lower income. It is to give that spouse a chance to further their education or to find a job.

The AMOUNT of spousal support is based on CURRENT income, no matter the source.

I would NOT take a job until the spousal support has been set.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
H
OP Offline
H
But this is a long marriage (23 years), and I read that that is also a deciding factor. Also -- living the condition I'm accustomed to. I'm accustomed to a roof over my head, the utilities paid, grocery money, gas in my car, kids expenses, etc.

Plus -- my income would only be a fraction compared to what WH brings in.

D
D
When my husband checked into D right after our Dday, the attorney told him that he would end up paying me alimony of x number of dollars per month even though I worked a full time job at the time.
So, I don't know if "spousal support" and "alimony" are different but he would have ended up paying me some money regardless. It could be different from state to state I suppose.
I still think the best thing to do is to call your lawyer and ask them.

H
OP Offline
H
I talked with one serveral months ago before D was a reality. He said the same thing.

Any idea about whether or not I can also get him to pick up my benefits since he's been providing them the past 7 years?

S
S
When FWS left the home, I began checking into some employment options from home to see what options I might have (had been a SAH, homeschooling mom for 17 years). I talked with my attorney who told me that I SHOULD NOT take a job until divorce was over. He said I could do all the "checking into" that I wanted but that I SHOULD NOT take any employment until the divorce was final. He said IT WOULD affect how much I would be awarded. My goal was to continue to stay at home and homeschool, and my attorney knew it.

Happily married to HerPapaBear

H
OP Offline
H
Hummm...I better check with an attorney. My thinking is that since this is only temp., that I'll likely be done before D is done. And...darn it...it will drag it out....poor WH.

H
H
Hi Holyheart,

try this website, you can go to any state and get some legal info that might help you. Good luck

http://www.divorcesource.com/index.html

Me 55, XWH 53, M 22 years
D17, D30
alien replaces my husband "I'm not happy" -7/08
Discover OW-8/08 (his direct report and I work there also)
H moves out 10/1/08, confront Ow 10/28/08
Plan B 1/09
D final 12/09

Quote: "First thing you do is pray; when there is nothing else to do, continue to pray."
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for helping. Talked with an attorney over the phone today and am seeing him tomorrow.

M
M
I went to an attorney when I got the PI's info and before I confronted my FWH. My attorney told me that I should NOT take any job at that point whatsoever.

BW(me)
DDay EA 4/05
DDay PA 6/05
In recovery

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 758 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation